• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 117
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 77
  • Total: 77
photobox
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiDiva

I have a samsung tablet.....easy to carry but can't put photos on there direct from camera. My littlenetbook has a memory card slot but a knackered battery. Might enquire about new battery.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Hinfrance

If your tablet has a usb socket (my Samsung does), all you need is a USB reader - something like THIS perhaps (I don't know which generation of tablet you have) and perhaps one of the free file managers from the play store like Astro or ES

You can install Photoshop Express from the Play Store - it's free - and play away.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Do people really do this? I don't even do it for weddings / paid jobs as there just isn't time. I have my d700 set so that the review button homes in on the focal point to check I've not missed badly and chimp pretty much non stop and it does me.

Andrew

Quote from: jinky on May 27, 2014, 08:30:23 PM
Do people really do this? I don't even do it for weddings / paid jobs as there just isn't time. I have my d700 set so that the review button homes in on the focal point to check I've not missed badly and chimp pretty much non stop and it does me.

I know of 3 wedding and portrait photographers who take iPads and have been EyeFi to copy pics over to iPads so clients can view.
Sadly, it is a common request.

I know a Wedding Tog who offers pics on an iPad as a package...
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

DigiDiva

jinky

Quote from: Andrew on May 27, 2014, 08:44:35 PM
Quote from: jinky on May 27, 2014, 08:30:23 PM

I know of 3 wedding and portrait photographers who take iPads and have been EyeFi to copy pics over to iPads so clients can view.
Sadly, it is a common request.

I know a Wedding Tog who offers pics on an iPad as a package...

Yes I know a few who offer the ipad package - quite why someone woud pay that much I don`t know for hardware on top.

I don`t know about " sadly being a common request". I`ve never been asked but would say no as I`d hate to use up shooting time selecting or quickly editing shots and would rather give them the considered final edit package later and let them get on with enjoying the day with their guests. I never edit on my laptop.

DD I think you can get a mini usb connector ( charger socket) with  a female usb connector on the end for a usb connection to the tablet. There seems to be a solution for everything nowadays.

donoreo

Hinfrance

Quote from: DigiDiva on May 27, 2014, 09:01:12 PM
No USB spot

So you have a Galaxy 1 or 2? No problem, there is a 30 pin all purpose connector, just get something like one of THESE. AFAK you can only view jpgs, so just shoot RAW+jpg and copy the jpgs to the expansion micro SD card.

Jinky - you can get leads with the 'right' connectors, but caution is required as some of them won't allow the tablet to act as host for file transfer.

As for lugging a tablet around, for me that's a no no. I will take it on holiday with me for internet and maybe look at photos then, but otherwise I stick to the camera body and maybe one extra lens in a coat pocket. It's all I want to be occupied with when I'm trying to take pictures. Taking a camera bag is something I do so rarely my bag is sitting in a corner covered in dust.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

DigiDiva

Something I might  invest in, thank you. My tablet is quite small and light anyway so easy to carry. Im debating what to take on holiday in 3 weeks, as last year for those who don't know, I had all of my kit stolen from the boot of our hire car. Absolutely everything. Camera, all my lenses, memory cards, remote release etc. I have been back to Tenerife twice  since and taken my kit, but this time will be the anniversary and its really playing on my mind. It will be the start of  the height of the summer season when thefts are bound to increase.

My insurance company were brilliant though and I had everything replaced in a matter of weeks.

Hinfrance

Chris, just found THIS in the Play Store - £3.77 for the pro version, but with a free demo, allegedly does lots of camera stuff, including tethering.

I think I might give it a go . .

Later - I just dug out a USB socket to micro USB plug adaptor and plugged it into my S3 fondleslab with a K10D on the other end of it using the Pentax USB connecting lead. The Samsung built in file manaer read the jpg files immediately - I'm going to have more of a play around, including with the RAWdroid app.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Laptop screen turns black when plugged in. Had the same problem last year, and it took JL ten days to sort it. Can only work on battery.
Still within the two year guarantee, thank goodness.
Had numerous problems, and it's always been blamed on software issues.

I'll never buy a Lenovo again! Never had any problems with my Toshiba's.

Is it too late now, to hand it back as 'not fit for purpose'? It's approximately 18 months old.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on May 28, 2014, 08:22:58 AM
Laptop screen turns black when plugged in. Had the same problem last year, and it took JL ten days to sort it. Can only work on battery.

Is it too late now, to hand it back as 'not fit for purpose'? It's approximately 18 months old.

If it's the same laptop as last year, then you have allowed them to repair it once and it failed again with the same problem, you could say it isn't fit for purpose. Speak to CAB as they know all about the Sale of Goods Act. Lenovo took over the IBM computer brand and nobody ever got sacked for buying IBM computers.  ;)

DigiDiva

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 28, 2014, 08:13:33 AM
Chris, just found THIS in the Play Store - £3.77 for the pro version, but with a free demo, allegedly does lots of camera stuff, including tethering.

Later - I just dug out a USB socket to micro USB plug adaptor and plugged it into my S3 fondleslab with a K10D on the other end of it using the Pentax USB connecting lead. The Samsung built in file manaer read the jpg files immediately - I'm going to have more of a play around, including with the RAWdroid app.

ooooo, thats interesting, might download it

Andrew

Quote from: DigiDiva on May 28, 2014, 09:27:43 AM
Quote from: Hinfrance on May 28, 2014, 08:13:33 AM

ooooo, thats interesting, might download it

To my knowledge, you should still steet clear of RAW files on tablets. They just do not not have the oomph to deal with them. They can import and display.
But boy do you notice a difference.

You can even 'process' them - but I've still not managed to see a tablet that can do so with ease, even the latest versions. I think if you are working with RAW files no greater than 10mb you might get away with - but 21mb, not a hope.

I have tbh, and say I look forward to the day when I can just take a tablet every where and use it for storage and processing RAW files - and even uploading to the web etc.
But that day has not arrived, though Apple do at least provide a 128gb version which will more than cover any space requirements on my part.
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on May 28, 2014, 09:13:03 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on May 28, 2014, 08:22:58 AM

If it's the same laptop as last year, then you have allowed them to repair it once and it failed again with the same problem, you could say it isn't fit for purpose. Speak to CAB as they know all about the Sale of Goods Act. Lenovo took over the IBM computer brand and nobody ever got sacked for buying IBM computers.  ;)

It was the IBM name that decided it for me, but it was probably assembled on a Monday by staff with hangovers.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.