• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 97
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 107
  • Total: 107
millets
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

Makes you wonder Jinky.
Hope it all goes well when the time comes. Like you say, think of the benefits it brings.  ;)
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Jediboy

WAMT?!

I have two flat camera batteries and I can't find either of my two chargers anywhere!!!
I thought it may be a poor attempt at hide and seek by the wife but she assures me it's nothing to do with her.  >:(
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Karen

These are exactly the kind of things that made me pack in my wedding business. Yes the money is good once you build up a reputation but i was beginning not to enjoy it and thats the time to get out. I obviously didnt regret it as im enjoying my photography again. I do commisions when im asked but not weddings. Ive just shot a farm and that was great fun in big welly boots. Last year i was so glad i had packed it in when i broke my elbow as that would have been a disaster.

jinky

I enjoy each wedding at the time but they are so full on I find  I can barely walk the next day with bad back and knees which is what made me think of ceasing. Been some family emergencies lately that have been awkward where I have had to fit around bookings and feel it`s time to retire fully now and just enjoy my own photography  and time a bit more.

donoreo

One of the reasons I have always said you could never pay me enough to photograph a wedding.  Nope.  No way. 

Andrew

Interesting how I hear about making a living from photography becomng more and more difficult.

I'm not saying it can't be done, and can't be fun, but it certainly seems like you have to put an awful lot of your life into to get anything out.

I suppose it's a bit like any art - only a few ever really have what it takes, or the the lucky breaks, to pull it off and get into the big money league.

Then I look at the issue of fame nowadays and wonder if you really do want to be that successful.

Really - who would want to expose their lives to the whims of the Daily Mail and the Murdoch Daily's?  :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

jinky

Yes I`m glad it`s holiday money for me rather than a living - I`d have been homeless long ago. Mind you that`s largely because I don`t do anything on the business side and just take what comes my way from referrals.. Of the ones I`ve done I`d say only 1 has annoyed me greatly and I fear this one will be the second as the bride and groom seems so lazy and shiftless that nothing is planned / organised.
I`ll be going out with a bang as my last one will be my eldest daughters. I`m just shooting a few aspects of it though and have secured the help of another guy who is doing the elements when I am busy on wedding matters and then giving me the raw files to edit with mine.

anglefire

I've done 2 weddings now - both for friends, and both for friends that liked my style - and accepted that if nothing came out, it wasn't the end of the world - both came out fine and are happy with the results. I did it as a present to them. The second one, the groom doesn't like fuss so the whole affair was very low key.

But I wouldn't do it for money - I don't have the right character. And I enjoy photography too much to do it for a living!

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

jinky

It works well for me most of the time. I like the banter and the freedom of expression. Looking back all but 2 customers have been a pleasure to work for with the other 2 it`s been a personality clash as much as anything else. Both had "lost" or "been let down"  by other photographers - makes you wonder. With these 2 one the shots worked well at least and the other is still to come. In some ways I wished I`d got into the wedding photography game may years ago but now I fear my age and aching body works against me  hence calling it quits next March and taking no more bookings.

Karen

Im the same i wish id done it years ago and i think having someone that you can trust to do it with you must be an enormous help and take the pressure off.  Its a very stressful job although very pleasureable most of the time. I like you was shattered the day afterwards. It was a big decision for me as i had built the business up to be successful and i still get people asking me to do it but ive never regretted stopping

donoreo

Quote from: Andrew on May 03, 2014, 03:53:30 PM
Interesting how I hear about making a living from photography becomng more and more difficult.

I'm not saying it can't be done, and can't be fun, but it certainly seems like you have to put an awful lot of your life into to get anything out.
One question: can it be done WITHOUT shooting weddings? 

Andrew

yes - it can be done without shooting weddings. Ask Tim Wallace - don't recall anywhere that he has shot any weddings in anger so to speak.

I would imagine that Martin Parr has never shot a wedding either - but then shooting weddings has changed beyond all recognition since film days.

No one offers a contract based on how many rolls of film they will shoot or demand that the photographer is not liable for images getting lost in the post or the developing process.
Red Eye is no longer acceptable. Unwanted blemishes are no longer acceptable.

Yep, the iPhone culture wants instant and free pics - let them shoot them with their smartphones!  :uglystupid2:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

donoreo

I wonder if back in their history they did not shoot weddings to pay the bills when starting out.  Yes, the instant nature of smart phone photos.  And filters.  Sometimes it is scary.  Still a funky filter does not make a bad photo anything but a bad photo with a funky filter. 

I remember weddings in the 90s where they put out disposable film cameras for all the guests.  I always liked that, but those photos were never part of the official wedding photos. 

My own wedding in 2004 was shot on 35mm and medium format.  My groomsmen were hitting on the photographer too, she was a rather attractive Australian blonde.  I was given the negatives a few years ago when the studio was clearing out all the old equipment. 

Reinardina

What annoys me, is that you cannot buy anything on line these days, without being bombarded with newsletters and offers. Even unsuscribing does not always work.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Paul Montgomery

Quote from: anglefire on May 05, 2014, 08:20:47 AM
I've done 2 weddings now - both for friends, and both for friends that liked my style - and accepted that if nothing came out, it wasn't the end of the world - both came out fine and are happy with the results. I did it as a present to them. The second one, the groom doesn't like fuss so the whole affair was very low key.

But I wouldn't do it for money - I don't have the right character. And I enjoy photography too much to do it for a living!
Ditto - did my Sister in law's wedding recently as a favour as they only wanted a low-key event and I got them to agree in front of witnesses that as I was an amateur doing it for free there was a risk that the pictures would be worth exactly what they were paying for them. Ultimately I enjoyed the day and they were pleased with the results, but there's no way I'd do it again...

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.