• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 129
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 129
  • Total: 129
Wish
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krennon

Ouch Spinner that's a real shame I'd be devastated if I developed an allergy to my cats I love them to bits...
WAMT the sun is shining it's a glorious day here in Surrey/SW London (I still consider Kingston to be in Surrey not SW London...) and I'm stuck in the office boohoo I hate the fact that work gets in the way of my photography  ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Oldboy

Quote from: krennon on April 06, 2011, 11:49:11 AM
WAMT the sun is shining it's a glorious day here in Surrey/SW London (I still consider Kingston to be in Surrey not SW London...) and I'm stuck in the office boohoo I hate the fact that work gets in the way of my photography  ;)

Went out this morning at 08:15, but the sun didn't come through until 13:45, arrived back home at 19:40.  ;D

Oldboy

Quote from: spinner on April 06, 2011, 01:42:18 AM
The cat, myself.  Despite being highly allergic to cats I forgot again, and petted my daughter's cat. Now my eyeballs are bright red and so itchy I want to pluck them out! :'( :o

Sorry about your allergy Spin.  :'(

anglefire

I too am allergic to cats - and some dogs, rabbits etc - hay fever etc.

It was so bad last year I went back to an injection - think its called Kenalog - or similar. Works a treat and lasts me the season - thinking of doing it again this year!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

spinner

Quote from: Oldboy on April 06, 2011, 08:56:53 PM
Quote from: spinner on April 06, 2011, 01:42:18 AM
The cat, myself.  Despite being highly allergic to cats I forgot again, and petted my daughter's cat. Now my eyeballs are bright red and so itchy I want to pluck them out! :'( :o

Sorry about your allergy Spin.  :'(

Yes, it's disappointing, she is just a pretty little cat and for some strange reason she loves to crawl all over me.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

krennon

Yeah cats do that, I've got a couple of friends who aren't overkeen on cats yet our little one Salem seems to sniff them out and jump in their laps funny though, they then start stroking him and making a fuss of him....mind you he is just too cute for words and he's 5 yrs old not like he's a little kitten.....

WAMT......Nothing, absolutely nothing at all, I've had a really good day, it hasn't even been to bad a week on the whole so YAY I'm in a really good mood.....see the WMMFGT thread for more  :tup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Jonathan

WAMT......Jessops.

Yeah, I know.

I was in London and needed some prints in a hurry.  The sensible option would be to get the train home and go to my local camera shop.  Despite using an Agfa machine they do pretty decent printing.  More to the point they will do test prints and manually check them before a big run.

But no.  I strolled into Jessops on Oxford Street.  Battled my way through the dire kiosk menu system, cropped a 7X5 SOOC and asked them to print 45 copies (actually I asked for 50 because it's cheaper).  Went to the lab team and paid.  Was told they would be ready in 25 mins.  Cool.

Got some overpriced lunch over the road and came back 30 mins later.  "Oh they aren't ready yet".  Well, then they will be free won't they?  "Oh yes, but we're not sure when they will be ready - the Frontier has been broken all day and an engineer might come tomorrow".  Um, yeah, so you kind of knew that 30 mins ago when you took the order, right?

They recommended their Holborn branch.  They tried to ring but of course they wouldn't answer.  No worries, it's urgent so I set off for the half mile walk to Holborn.

Finally found the branch - all kiosks in direct sunlight....  I shielded the screen with my jacket and battled my way through the software.  Hmm, glossy only....  "No problem - just select the prints and tell us you want matt".  OK, went through order again...stood around....paid...argued over the fact that it was £4 more than Oxford Street ("No it isn't" yes it is, here's my receipt "oh, they undercharged you....").  Went to sit in the sun for 26 minutes.

Came back.  Prints were upstairs.  Chap ran up for them handed them over and seemed to expect me to leave.  I opened the packet.

Oh.  My.  God.

BY FAR the worst set of prints I've ever seen - and that includes the infamous green prints when I was testing Tesco (it's a Fuji Frontier - how bad can it get?).

Cartoon like colours and hideously, hideously, HIDEOUSLY oversharpened.  Then the excuses started.

"Oh you are using a very sharp lens".  Y-e-e-e-e-s, but that wouldn't cause the pantomime halos in the background.

"It's some sort of HDR"  No it just looks like that because your printer has made it look like a cartoon it's unedited from the camera.

"It looks like that on our screen upstairs"  Well it bloody shouldn't!!!!  Plus if you have a screen attached to your frontier in god's name how can you let it print junk like that?

"It's printing the raw - you shouldn't do that".  No, your machines can't read raws.  "Yes, they can read Canon raws"  Well (1) no they can't and (2) it's a Nikon and (3) I selected the jpg and that's stamped on the receipt.

So we try the pic on their laptop.  Looks fine.  Also on the camera.  So we reload and print again.

Um, well you haven't oversharpened it and some of the people look human but where is the shadow detail?

"You didn't record any".  Hmm, well I can see it on my camera, on the histogram and on your screen.

"That screen isn't calibrated"  No but that doesn't affect density, only colour.

"Maybe you shot in 1998"  Well (1) no I didn't (as you can tell from the file name) (2) that would affect colour not density (3) a Frontier honours colour profiles.

Why not set the density to -1 or -2 and try again?  "We can't.  Our printers are totally locked down so we can't alter the print at all"  Like is Asda?  "um, yeah...."

Refund then.  And 3 wasted hours.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on April 11, 2011, 07:28:30 PM
WAMT......Jessops.

Yeah, I know.

Send them a bill for your wasted three hours, charged at your normal rate.  >:(

How many people could have argued about the camera settings in the face of their excuses trying to blame you.  :knuppel2:

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on April 11, 2011, 07:37:22 PM
Send them a bill for your wasted three hours, charged at your normal rate.  >:(

(1) they won't pay
(2) it won't get me the prints I need

Right now having those prints is way more important than money.
It's Guest's round

hevans

Quote from: Jonathan on April 11, 2011, 07:28:30 PM
WAMT......Jessops.

Refund then.  And 3 wasted hours.

Couldn't you send the photos off on the Ipad to your normal printer and have them couriered to you up in the smoke?  :legit:

::)

H.

picsfor

Good to see a small town like London has sooo many decent printers available to turn out instant prints...

As for Jessops - up there with my other local shop...

irv_b

WAMT
Carrying on from the "is this wrong" thread on two occasions this evening people asked me for directions and couldn't even address me politely. One just grunted "What the way to the lake?"  and the other said "The quickest way to South Norwood" and looked at me for an answer. No "excuse me", "hello mate" or even "do you know" so I just ignored them and carried on walking, which makes me feel as though I'm as bad as them but I think sometime you have to fight fire with fire :(
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Oldboy

Quote from: irv_b on April 12, 2011, 08:38:38 PM
WAMT
Carrying on from the "is this wrong" thread on two occasions this evening people asked me for directions and couldn't even address me politely. One just grunted "What the way to the lake?"  and the other said "The quickest way to South Norwood" and looked at me for an answer. No "excuse me", "hello mate" or even "do you know" so I just ignored them and carried on walking, which makes me feel as though I'm as bad as them but I think sometime you have to fight fire with fire :(

Not uncommon nowdays I'm afraid. My father always use to say, "Manners maketh the man"  :'(

spinner

I visited that other site, you all know the one, when I clicked on a Technique video. Seeing there were 3 comments I went to see what others took away from the video. All 3 comments were spam and had been posted for 3 days or 4 without being removed. So
moderating hasn't changed at all I see (there is none).
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Mick

Spin, the moderators can only moderate the forums, and not any other part of the site.  Anywhere else that comments can be left, tutorials, techniques etc, and even the gallery can't be moderated by the moderators group.  This has to be done by admin, or super moderators (the paid staff).  This I find totally ridiculous.  :uglystupid2:

I have mentioned this in various threads, where I complained about the lack of functions available to standard moderators, but as always they don't give a monkeys.  To be honest the site didn't really change much from the (so called) beta test, and still is not integrated, or bridged properly.  It's basically two sites (loosely) sharing the same log in, which is why they have so many problems.

And don't get me started on all the essential site navigation they have left out.  I've had to add them to my signature over there. lol..  :knuppel2:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.