• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 60
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 36
  • Total: 36
wex
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Quote from: jinky on April 30, 2014, 07:04:52 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on April 30, 2014, 06:37:41 AM
A neighbour received a call from his daughter who is on holiday in France. She had her wallet stolen, with all her cards.
When he finished the call, he said: "it's not the end of the world. She'll learn from this, and be more careful in future."

Why did that bemuse you R? healthy survivalist reaction. Assuming she wasn`t hurt and maybe could have learned not to put herself at risk in future if any of her actions had contributed to her unfortunate ordeal.

Of course it's a healthy reaction, but being a mother rather than a father, I'd be worried sick if my beautiful daughter was in such a predicament abroad.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

jinky

Yes but money and card loss are nothing when you think of the worst case scenarios that could happen. Of course I`d be worried too as a father but with friends` kids experiences of suffering violence in exotic places the loss of  just money is so much easier to take than personal injury and all you have to do is send them more  ;). Not sure being a mother rather than a father makes any real difference. You can have harder mothers than fathers you know  ;)

Reinardina

I know. It is only money, as you say, but still ... And I know there are hard mothers, but I am not one of them.

Hinfrance

Naughty parents didn't tell said unfortunate daughter to keep things in several different places. Essential when you are a tourist anywhere - lowlifes always see tourists, even domestic ones, as easy meat.

I keep my wallet on a chain attached to my belt. Not because I am worried about it being stolen, but because I am so easily distracted - I'd left my wallet behind in shops several times. The only time my wallet has been stolen was from a jurers' room when I left it in my briefcase during a hearing.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on April 30, 2014, 08:12:29 AM
Naughty parents didn't tell said unfortunate daughter to keep things in several different places. Essential when you are a tourist anywhere - lowlifes always see tourists, even domestic ones, as easy meat.

I keep my wallet on a chain attached to my belt. Not because I am worried about it being stolen, but because I am so easily distracted - I'd left my wallet behind in shops several times. The only time my wallet has been stolen was from a jurers' room when I left it in my briefcase during a hearing.

That's easier said than done H. I've told my daughter not to leave her handbag out of her sight, better still 'in hand,' at all times, but all I get is: "Oh Múm!"

When I carry a lot of money, it is in a felt 'wallet' on a cord round my neck. Under my clothes of course.

Hinfrance

Well, in that case Re she'll learn when everything goes missing one day.

Because I can be so absent minded* I always keep spare stuff for when the inevitable happens  ::)

*No, it's not my age, I've always been like this. Probably.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Andrew

Re - mothers and fathers, I understand where you're coming from - but I'm not that carries as much weigh any more.

I know fathers who are much more sensitive to the well being of their daughters than mothers - but I think that's just a distraction from the main discussion.

Daught has lost all her cash abroad - and that she has been targeted has been a bit of a shock and a realisation that worse could have happened. For me though, this is all part of life, and she will learn from it. In years to come, it will doubtless provide an amusing anecdote at a family gathering  :tup:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

donoreo

Last night our mayor, Rob Ford (you may have heard of him now!), was caught on audio ranting in a "drunken stupor", on the weekend a new video of him smoking crack was taken, and there is rumours (this makes me shudder) of a sex video.  So he says he is going to enter rehab.  For alcohol.  He would not smoke crack if he was not drunk.  Right. 
He is also NOT dropping out of the election this fall, he is still running for mayor. 

Oldboy

Quote from: donoreo on May 01, 2014, 01:56:18 PM
Last night our mayor, Rob Ford (you may have heard of him now!), was caught on audio ranting in a "drunken stupor", on the weekend a new video of him smoking crack was taken, and there is rumours (this makes me shudder) of a sex video.  So he says he is going to enter rehab.  For alcohol.  He would not smoke crack if he was not drunk.  Right. 
He is also NOT dropping out of the election this fall, he is still running for mayor.

Are you trying to say that he Cracks you up?  :2funny:

anglefire

Not sure bemused is the right word - sad is probably more like it.

We have announced the closure, after nearly 10 years, of the Digital Photo Group forum at the end of the year. I.e. when the current contract runs out.

Just no activity from members. Facebook largely being it's downfall IMHO.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

ABERS

Reading this on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26613682

I'm all for the bit at the end.

'But if you took all the money of the 85 richest people and gave it to the poor in a one-off payment, she says, it would only increase each person's wealth by about $500 (£300)'.

It doesn't say where you send your sort code and account number. 8)

Reinardina

If you took all the money of the 85 richest people, they'd be poorer than the poor.

And their wealth normally creates work for lots of people, so if that fell away, the poor, who were given the money of the wealthy, would soon be the 'wealthy.' And could they rescue the new poor, with their £300?

ABERS

Quote from: Reinardina on May 11, 2014, 08:49:59 AM
If you took all the money of the 85 richest people, they'd be poorer than the poor.

And their wealth normally creates work for lots of people,

So that they can go to work to make the wealthy even wealthier.  :D

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on May 11, 2014, 08:59:27 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on May 11, 2014, 08:49:59 AM

And their wealth normally creates work for lots of people,

So that they can go to work to make the wealthy even wealthier.  :D

And earn a living at the same time.

And wealth is not restricted to old money, or old industries.

Bright sparks (Bill Gates, Richard Branson) have always managed to climb the wealth ladder ( bit of a mixed metaphor here), and young bright sparks are still doing it now. The Internet has created quite a few new millionaires.

If only one of those bright ideas would pop up into my head!

Hinfrance

Reminds me of an old French joke.

The wealthy Saint Pierre family live in an opulent home in the middle of Paris. Their long serving butler, Gaston, is a lifelong member of the communist party, and an active member of the local organisation. Every Tuesday evening he goes to the local party meeting. He does this without fail for nigh on 20 years. Then one Tuesday evening his employer finds him sitting and reading a newspaper in his quarters. Concerned for his old servant, who is now really a member of the family and a firm friend, despite their political differences, M. Saint Pierre asks him why he isn't at his weekly meeting? Is there something wrong?

Gaston replies: "All of my life I have felt that the uneven distribution of wealth was an affront to egalité, and I have been dedicated to change that would bring about a redistribution of money from the rich to the poor. Last week a guest speaker told us that if this were to take place now every worker in the land would receive FF5000. I resigned in disgust immediately."

"Why did you do that?"

"I have FF25000 saved for my retirement . . "
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.