• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 60
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 38
  • Total: 38
7ds
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

You guys are obviously just much better photographers than I am, no real change in my viewing stats at all.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: ABERS on August 26, 2013, 08:56:06 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on August 26, 2013, 08:49:08 AM
Quote from: ABERS on August 26, 2013, 08:25:46 AM
Flickr. ???

Has anyone noticed any strange activity on Flickr recently regarding the number of "views" stats.?

Most definitely. They're sky-high most of the time.

I read somewhere they're counting them in a different way, something to do with the way they now show new uploads.

Being a cynic, I wonder if most of them are 'phantom views,' to impress advertisers.

The strange thing is that pictures that I'd forgotten I'd posted from ages ago are being "viewed" quite often.

Yes I noticed that also.
Shots taken when I first got a Digital cam and joined Flickr back in 2007 now have views.
I'm certain no one is actually looking at them and its a "Flickr bug" put in place by them at the last upgrade.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Reinardina

Indeed, oldies do get a look in at the moment.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Mick

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on August 26, 2013, 09:49:14 AM

Quote from: ABERS on August 26, 2013, 08:56:06 AM
Flickr. ???

Has anyone noticed any strange activity on Flickr recently regarding the number of "views" stats.?

I read somewhere they're counting them in a different way, something to do with the way they now show new uploads.

Being a cynic, I wonder if most of them are 'phantom views,' to impress advertisers.

The strange thing is that pictures that I'd forgotten I'd posted from ages ago are being "viewed" quite often.

Yes I noticed that also.
Shots taken when I first got a Digital cam and joined Flickr back in 2007 now have views.
I'm certain no one is actually looking at them and its a "Flickr bug" put in place by them at the last upgrade.

Could be a intentional so called bug I guess.  I know a lot of sites do it to make the place look busy and used.  It tends to bring in more members.   A lot of sites are struggling with facebook and twitter taking over the internet.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

ABERS

Well it obviates the need that some people have to post their images in scores of groups to get views and join other groups that insist you post 3 or 4 comments before posting your picture.

donoreo

I just looked.  I do not see much of a difference.  Mostly my most recent photos getting a look.  I just caught up finally with my photo of the day project.  I posted a lot over the past weekend. 

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: ABERS on August 26, 2013, 10:34:16 AM
Well it obviates the need that some people have to post their images in scores of groups to get views and join other groups that insist you post 3 or 4 comments before posting your picture.

You got me thinking there Abers, so off I went and checked my account.
I'm a member of 49 groups. eeeekkk 49.
I thought it was a dozen or so.
Even being associated to this many groups does not generate a lot of views or comments even though a lot are themed to different subjects.
Will need to some pruning of these groups when I come back from my jollidays.
RR
Alf

ABERS

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on August 26, 2013, 03:07:48 PM

Even being associated to this many groups does not generate a lot of views or comments even though a lot are themed to different subjects.
RR
Alf

Alf

I'm a member of 13 groups, and I really only post regularly into three, unless I think the picture is appropriate to any of the other 10 i.e. Bert Hardy Lives or Speakers' Corner Etc., and if I look closely I could well live without at least 4 of them.

Sometimes you get an invitation from some bod or other  to post your pic into their group, and I'm usually flattered enough to press the OK button, but that group isn't added to your list.

The other thing that amazes me is when you get a message that someone has added your picture as a 'favourite' and you look at this obviously talented and refined person's photostream you find you have been added to the other 5000 + favourites that he/her has.  ::)

Rum old do.

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: ABERS on August 26, 2013, 03:29:21 PM
Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on August 26, 2013, 03:07:48 PM

RR
Alf

Alf

I'm a member of 13 groups, and I really only post regularly into three, unless I think the picture is appropriate to any of the other 10 i.e. Bert Hardy Lives or Speakers' Corner Etc., and if I look closely I could well live without at least 4 of them.

Sometimes you get an invitation from some bod or other  to post your pic into their group, and I'm usually flattered enough to press the OK button, but that group isn't added to your list.

The other thing that amazes me is when you get a message that someone has added your picture as a 'favourite' and you look at this obviously talented and refined person's photostream you find you have been added to the other 5000 + favourites that he/her has.  ::)

Rum old do.
Aye, the thing is I only get comments from people who I have known for years and are (IMHO) super photographers in their own right. People like Don Tiffney, Donny Campbell (vxisme) and Colin Russell. None of these are in groups I submitt to but I respect their comments and critique.  I now ask myself whats the point in me posting in these groups. Although I do like sharing my shipping shots as they can be useful to others who follow this genre.

On the fave topic, I now block those who fave my shots without a comment unless its one of my known contacts.
I have put a note in my profile explaining why I do this. Its puzzling and annoying why people do this. I'm told they are most likely printing and selling the shots they fave so I also only upload smallish files now.

Reinardina

Some people seem to collect faves, some of my images are lost among thousands of other 'faves.'  I normally just leave them, unless I find they ended up in very peculiar company, often with people who have published no photographs of their own. Those I block, or whatever it's called on Flickr.

If invited to enter a shot in a particular group, I normally oblige after checking the group pool. My recent 'Cow' shot was invited to about five or six groups, all with the same administrator.
When I wanted to check the content of the group pools, I couldn't get 'in' so I declined.

I will never join a group that demands comments; they can have my shots in their pool though, if they want to.

I do not like the comments with all those elaborate graphics! I think some of these are from 'recommend three, post one' type of groups.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

spinner

Two things actually and completely separate. A senior member of the Art group I'm a member of, called an emergency meeting last night. Only 5 out of 16 members showed up. It seems the two members of our little group who offered to take over the running of this years show (after driving away one of the founders ) have done nothing to get set up. We floundered around a bit none of us able to provide some concrete solution. We were at the point where we were on the verge of calling for a cancellation or at least a withdrawl when another member showed up. We are part of a larger organization and he's the president. He's not an artist, more of a manager and his input immediately turned us around. His knowledge and organizational experience was invaluable and he pointed us towards resources we didn't previously know were available. The bemusing part? Without actually saying it, he suggested we pull off a coup, so another emergency meeting is planned.

The other bemusing thing? Sony, after buying up KM's technology to get into the DSLR market seems to be concentrating all their R&D resources in their NEX camera system. Got an email from B&H Photo announcing the have 3 new lenses on offer, all of them for the E Mount Nex system. And a new Nex model. A small ray of hope for A mount aficionados is they've brought out a new A mount model as well. 
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

ABERS

Flickr. ???

A friend has suggested that it's a government initiative to help reduce youth unemployment. He hears that there are thousands of youngsters, all employed on zero hour contracts, to sit all day and trawl through the site looking at pictures, and it's logged as one of their more successful apprenticeship schemes that they so proudly boast of.

The thinking behind it is it helps Flickr, who may be inclined to contribute to party funds, and since unemployed youngsters spend all day watching TV they might as well look at pictures. At 0.00001p a look it's proving quite successful and it's also teaching the youth of today that work is productive as well as stimulating.

As an incentive to take part, the one that exceeds their target by 1 million per cent gets a free ticket to the next edition of the X factor. The thinking here is that having exceeded your target you will be completely brain dead and therefore much more likely to enjoy it.

It also helps keep youth unemployment down around the million mark.

I don't believe a word of it myself. ::)

Now, where's my pills?  :dance:

Cabbyjohn

"As an incentive to take part, the one that exceeds their target by 1 million per cent gets a free ticket to the next edition of the X factor. The thinking here is that having exceeded your target you will be completely brain dead and therefore much more likely to enjoy it."

As an added incentive. Those who exceed 2 million clicks get the opportunity to appear on Supermarket Sweep or the Jeremy Kyle show.  ::)

Oldboy

ABERS

Reading this and looking at the mug shots.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-24047750

Can you imagine being confronted by these blokes, frightening! Along with a Brummy accent as well ???

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.