• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 60
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 33
  • Total: 33
wex
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

From New Scientist... :doh:

After overindulging in berries, flocks of cedar waxwings flew drunkenly to their doom. That's the conclusion of a new report in the Journal of Ornithology.

Cedar waxwings have evolved to live on a diet that averages 84 per cent fruit. But those evolutionary innovations backfired on several occasions between 2005 and 2007 when flocks of them died after crashing into windows and fences in broad daylight in the Los Angeles area.

Residents puzzled by the deaths sent the bodies to the California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory in San Bernardino. Necropsies performed by Hailu Kinde and colleagues at the lab showed the birds had been healthy when they gorged on berries from the Brazilian pepper tree, then died from ruptured livers or other traumas caused by the collisions.

Flocking hell

Cedar waxwings have the most fruit-rich diet of all North American birds, and dining on overripe berries can leave them visibly tipsy. Their short intestines can process large volumes of fruit, and their large livers – about 5 per cent of body mass – can break down toxic ethanol before it causes serious damage.

Yet although earlier studies had found isolated birds that had died from collisions when flying drunk, no one had seen whole flocks careen to their doom.

Now Kinde and colleagues report that the downfall of the flocks came from eating too many berries. Lacking a crop – the expandable pouch near the throat used to store food – waxwings stow meals in a distensible oesophagus. "When the fruit stays in the oesophagus, it ferments and produces ethanol," says Kinde.

The waxwings had ingested so many berries that their large livers "could not keep up with the alcohol produced by the fermentation", with ethanol concentration as high as 1000 parts per million. By the time they finished stuffing themselves with berries, they were too drunk to fly safely.

Journal reference: Journal of Ornithology (DOI: 10.1007/s10336-012-0858-7).

ABERS

Many moons ago I used to call on a dried fruit importer that received large cartons of currants and sultanas from lord knows where and repackaged them into the handy packs that you see in the supermarkets.

The empty cartons were flattened and stored in the open ready for disposal. Inevitably there were sultanas and currants still sticking to them which was a source of food for sparrows and starlings that congregated in large numbers to take advantage of the free feast.

In the summer during hot spells the fruit started to smell a bit 'winey' and begin to ferment. It was a source of amusement to see birds that had partaken of the fruit flapping around on the ground trying to take off, obviously completely off their heads.

The local moggies had caught on to what was happening and took advantage of the situation. A bit like muggers taking advantage of drunken revellers.

michaelb104

Just had an email from a recruitment agency asking if I would be interested in a role in Gosport, Hampshire for a 3 to 6 month contract – this is the job that I am currently doing and have been asked to leave at the end of this month because they do not need me anymore  ???
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Oldboy

Quote from: michaelb104 on May 29, 2012, 05:47:07 PM
Just had an email from a recruitment agency asking if I would be interested in a role in Gosport, Hampshire for a 3 to 6 month contract – this is the job that I am currently doing and have been asked to leave at the end of this month because they do not need me anymore  ???

Very interesting? Perhaps you should say yes to the agency.  :knuppel2:

spinner

Quote from: WillyP on May 30, 2012, 03:59:59 AM
CameraSim simulates a digital SLR camera - SLR Photography Demystified

Afraid I don't get the point. I have a camera sim, it's called a DSLR. I can do all the same things and I can take outside.  ;)
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

Quote from: spinner on May 30, 2012, 03:08:00 PM

Afraid I don't get the point. I have a camera sim, it's called a DSLR. I can do all the same things and I can take outside.  ;)

Yes, but can you keep taking pictures of a little girl without been arrested?  :doh:

WillyP

Quote from: spinner on May 30, 2012, 03:08:00 PM

And you get to keep the pictures too.  :uglystupid2: 

Graham

It's a good quick learning tool for those wanting to learn the relationship between apertures, shuttertspeeds and ISO, don't you think?
                      Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Reinardina

Quote from: michaelb104 on May 29, 2012, 05:47:07 PM

Sounds like a prayer answered. Will probably mean (I guess here) another stint in a hotel, but that's better than doing nothing.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

spinner

Quote from: Graham on May 31, 2012, 05:38:38 AM
   It's a good quick learning tool for those wanting to learn the relationship between apertures, shuttertspeeds and ISO, don't you think?
                      Graham. :tup:

In a word? No.

100 yrs ago when we were all stuck with film perhaps. It's a decade or two too late. It's a programming exorcise, a brilliant one, but not competition for real world practice. I feel a rant coming on, so I'll bite my fingers and stop. :-[
Ol' blue eyes

Reinardina

In spite of 'not going there,' I did enter the comp on the other site, just to make up the numbers. There were only four entries. A very poor show.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

spinner

Just had my annual eye exam. According to the eye doctor I have not glaucoma, yet. Her words. However, my eyesight has improved. Why does this bemuse me? Spent the weekend cottaging trying to photo the local wildlife. 75 % of my shots were blurry crap. They looked sharp in the viewfinder but weren't. Oh, she did say I need reading glasses now???? ???
Ol' blue eyes

skellum

Quote from: spinner on June 05, 2012, 09:21:28 PM
Just had my annual eye exam. According to the eye doctor I have not glaucoma, yet. Her words. However, my eyesight has improved. Why does this bemuse me? Spent the weekend cottaging trying to photo the local wildlife. 75 % of my shots were blurry crap. They looked sharp in the viewfinder but weren't. Oh, she did say I need reading glasses now???? ???

Think you need to know ' Cottaging ' has a different meaning over here  ;D

Oldboy

Quote from: Dave on June 05, 2012, 09:26:05 PM
Quote from: spinner on June 05, 2012, 09:21:28 PM

Think you need to know ' Cottaging ' has a different meaning over here  ;D

:-[ :P

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.