• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 168
  • Total: 168
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Real world Pictures from a Canon 1DMkIV

Started by anglefire, November 24, 2009, 10:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

just so glad you're so willing to suffer for our benefits Joanthan.
Not sure i could take testing all that new kit  :'(

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on November 26, 2009, 09:51:20 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on November 26, 2009, 06:44:56 PM
Well if you look after your equipment it will still look good whilst almost at 100,000 pictures.  ;D

Ah, so yours is hardly broken in then. 

It's broken in but not in pieces!  :2funny:

Quote from: Jonathan on November 26, 2009, 09:51:20 PM

Nikon techs cleaned mine for me today but didn't bother regluing the rubber - I guess it would only come off again.

In other news, I got to play with a D3S (and of course I ran it at 100K ISO and shot video) the new 70 - 200 (which I liked more than I thought I would) and a D3X (which I didn't get to try at all properly - no light in the room to explore its sensor).  Then I got to play with a big boys' camera.  And that was mighty nice indeed.  I'll get some snaps up tomorrow.

Sounds like you had a great time.  ;D

Jonathan

OK looks like I need some new s/w.  My current LR can't open the D3S raws (cheers Nikon) and for a few of them the ISO isn't shown.  Which probably means it's over 12,000.  Files look kind of nice but c'mon Nikon - give us something to point the cameras at!!!  Like all Nikon bashes it was held in a yellowish hotel room filled with blokes who spend more time behind the camera than in front of it.  And no flash.  Very very disappointed in my shots with the D3X as without light this just looks like a P&S.  With a little lighting it would probably rock.

Really really wish I could have taken the D3X along to the Hasselblad studio I was at next.  Now that would have been a head to head.  I'd be really interested if a D3X can really keep up with an entry level H3D.  My guess is no.  (There's a snap with an H3D in the gallery).

2 surprises from the day:
1. OMG the video.  Wow.  I was shooting video in a dark room using the new 70 - 200 VR and it looks absolutely beautiful.
2. The new 70 - 200.  I was expecting this to be just a nip and tuck to the old one.  The VR seems to be staggering.  Here's a shot at 200mm on a D3S, f4 ISO 640 and.....1/13s.  I wasn't taking a lot of care with this.  Taking my time I could probably have held it a stop slower.  Check out the water drops on the car poster.

It's Guest's round

picsfor

And your thoughts on the new Leica?

Are you likely to get a go?

Jonathan

Quote from: picsfor on November 27, 2009, 07:00:11 PM
And your thoughts on the new Leica?

Are you likely to get a go?

Probably not.  I no longer get invited to press launches.

Nikon was  a pro day for the D3S with some assorted toys kicking around.  Most of the guys in the room (and yes, they were pretty much all men) seemed to be press and sport photographers.  There was a flurry of panic that one sports organisation has apparently banned any DSLRs that can shoot video from their events.....

The Hassy day was just a play day - you can register on their site for an invite.  But I was impressed.  Very impressed.....
It's Guest's round

anglefire

I've heard there are a few issues with TV rights with DSLR's - must mean that they are pretty worried about either the quality of the output - or the speed at which it could be uploaded and released to the masses.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

the ability to upload with the same convenience as stills will in principal cause them something to worry about but...

and this is the big but (for now)

mobile broad band is just not fast enough. 15 mins on a 5D MkII takes 4gb, and at 7.2mb (that's bits not bytes) max and in reality only 2mb or less - that's an awful long time to not only sustain a connection but upload 4gb (bytes not bits) at the same time!

With video streaming what it is nowadays - i'm not sure there is a return for outlay at the moment.

A few years down the line might be a different ball game!

Forseti

Quote from: picsfor on November 28, 2009, 12:50:48 PM

15 mins on a 5D MkII takes 4gb.............

But soon you'll have 24p.........(think video link in 7D thread)  :legit:
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

i was aware of the 24p from the video link (how could i not be  :))but i'm not sure how this will affect resources.
The 15 min quoted on a 4gb card was what came out of the reviews when the 5D MkII was first released.

I have always said that i am not overly bothered about video - but it keeps knocking on my door, and i think at some point i will have to bite the bullet and give it a go!

Jonathan

Quote from: anglefire on November 28, 2009, 12:41:46 PM
I've heard there are a few issues with TV rights with DSLR's - must mean that they are pretty worried about either the quality of the output - or the speed at which it could be uploaded and released to the masses.

I'd guess it's more to do with TV rights and/or a desire to make more money.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this news broke after both Nikon and Canon nailed their colours to the mast and said "yeah, all top end DSLRs will have video".  It's literally inconceivable that both Nikon and Canon will be locked out of the Olympics (or World Cup for that matter) and so a deal will obviously be reached.  I'll bet that deal involves money.
It's Guest's round

alan1572

Jonathan, will it be a problem for models when the picture shows up every detail good and bad?
I know when sky went HD news reader's weren't too happy with the clarity it showed them in.
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

anglefire

Quote from: alan1572 on November 30, 2009, 07:57:26 PM
Jonathan, will it be a problem for models when the picture shows up every detail good and bad?
I know when sky went HD news reader's weren't too happy with the clarity it showed them in.

I'm obviously not Jonathan, but my opinion is that nothing will change - Medium format has been around for years and photoshop has been used to remove the bleamishes for years. Our friends from over the pond, seem particularly keen on making every girl have perfect skin! You just need to look in the glamour section on Photography on the net (Yes this is a largely Canon forum, before anyone makes that comment again  :2funny:)

Now, when we get medium format cameras with1080p video - that might cause a stir!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jonathan

Quote from: alan1572 on November 30, 2009, 07:57:26 PM

No ;).

You need to remember that this wasn't "future tech" I was playing with.  The H3D II was launched over 2 years ago.  The H4D will be available in January.  This was also the entry level model.  It has 31 million pixels.  There's a 39 and a 50 MP model.  The H4D will have 60 million pixels.  Yep, nearly 3X as many as a D3X.

Cameras in use in the fashion industry for several years have been able to reveal astonishing levels of detail.  The models just have to deal with it :)

The cameras do seem to deliver exceptionally clean looking files that allow for easy retouch.  Plus, models aren't generally chosen for having bad skin.

Here's a tiny crop of the image I posted in the gallery.  It's 1:1 - I cut a 1,000 pixel square out of the image.  Notice how nice the tones and transitions are.

Here's the entire workflow for the image:
1. Shoot and import to Phocus (H's proprietary software which delivers "best results" from .fff files).  All sliders at default (everything at zero and sharpness at 100 (out of 1,000).
2. Set white balance from grey card shot I took.
3. Reduce exposure by 0.31 EV
4. Export to 8 bit tiff
5. Open in Photoshop (this is because I'm not used to Phocus - you can probably do everything there)
6. Convert to sRGB (because I got my export settings wrong)
7. Crop 1,000 pixel square
8. Save for web at quality 60.

Note the lack of skin softening or image sharpening ;)

Here's the full size image.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

An amazing cut out - and clearly showing why fashion uses medium.

But to be honest, the 21mp sensors are producing detail is worrying for people. The D3x, The 1Ds MkIII, the 5DMkII and the Sony A900 - all with 20+ are producing images with so much detail that post processing will have to be increased to appease the subjects - that or buy a soft focus lens!

This level of detail is the new norm - we will all just have to live with it! When you can capture it at 102400 iso - that will be the real worry ???

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.