MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT ...Macro/ Close Up PollMACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES...Photoshop subscriptionMACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for...MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY...POLL-FLORA MONOCHROMEPoll for GLASSGLASS - ENTRY thread - t...CHAT-FLORA MONOCHROME-Wee...ENTRIES-FLORA MONOCHROME-...1Dx Mk3GLASS chat thread - th...POLL DECONSTRUCTEDDeconstructed - ENTRIES 2...Deconstructed - CHAT 26th...

Author Topic: How do you share your photographs?  (Read 3132 times)

Online Oldboy

Re: How do you share your photographs?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »
I only joined flickr so I could post images into DCM's site. I keep getting posts to join other groups but regard them as spam so haven't bothered. Have a few on PR but using the galleries there is a pain, as is trying to post images in threads. Mostly I use CC as it's a more friendly site.  ;D

Offline greypoint

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 12:53:39 PM »
The other site I use, but not as often as I used to, is Birdforum.net. The galleries are huge but you'll generally get feedback and it's very friendly as everyone has a common interest. Best place around for IDing birds and loads of experts on long lenses in the forum!

Offline jinky

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 02:15:49 PM »
I mainly use flickr now. A few comeptition entries on PR and a few more on here. I get a lot out of Flickr - only in about 10 groups and mainly look in on about 3/4. 2 main ones Flickr Leeds and Exposure Leeds groups. As I have said before I am sure we have a superb Leeds Flickr group that do regular shoots to venues, in the city (day and night) and we do cooperative style / peer tarining and learnign workshops as well as recently getting cheap day training sessions with models / portfolio assessment. Excellent link up with the Metropolitan University in Leeds which gives us free meeting space and the Media Museum in Bradford who hosted our last and probably our next Photocamp which attracts around 150 photographers each time. Comments I get are mainly from DCM and Flickr Leeds contacts

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »
Most of my stuff I put on Flickr. I've been on there for a couple of years and built up relationships with a number of people whose photography I admire. I initially joined just about every B+W group I could find but have whittled that down to about 1/2 a dozen that are actually B+W not grey+grey like most of the others! I belong to a couple of 'Street' groups as well, plus the 'Speakers' Corner' adherents. :tup:

I post on here about two or three times a week, and it's usually in my 'try out' gallery to see what reaction there is to anything I try new or different.

I used to have quite a large gallery on DCM and used to enter the weekend competition on there but have not carried that over to PRadar for various reasons, mainly because I think it's still a complete dog's breakfast run by idiots with very little or no photographic nous.

I see the weekend competition has been resurrected on there and it's supported by all the same people that were on DCM and who enjoy that type of challenge.

I have also given talks to the odd camera club, by invitation and only if it's within easy travelling distance. When you are asked if you will give a talk it's usually in about 12 months time and somewhere that is about an hour's journey to get there. You get travelling expenses and sometimes a small fee and after my first talk I quickly realised that this wasn't going to be a big earner so now I ask for it to be paid to a cancer charity.

I enter prints for selection in International and National exhibitions with varying degrees of success, I've had 11 acceptances in 2009. I must say of all the above theses give me the greatest pleasure. One acceptance is worth a few thousand comments.

Lastly along with a mate we try and exhibit some of our images at least once a year, dependant on gallery availability and cost.

Offline Darren1978

• CC Regular visitor
    • Darren Faulkner Photos
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 09:33:10 AM »
Started posting my photos on the old DCM site, but never really got many views/comments.  I then took the plunge and signed up to flickr which is where all of my photos get hosted nowadays.  I've also uploaded a few to the CC galleries as well.  And as for PR....not a chance!

Flickr is so easy to use; it has by far and away the best/easiest process for uploading photos which is why I don't make much effort elsewhere (besides which, its a pain the back side having to upload photos to several sites).  Its also very active, and I have found this very beneficial to my photography.

As I said earlier, my photos on DCM didn't get many views or comments, but on Flickr that all changed.  I started getting what I considered to be lots of views and comments, and at the time that boosted my confidence in a photographic sense, and it still does. One particular confidence boost was when I got an email from an on-line tourist guide site saying that my photo of the Trevi Fountain in Rome had been shortlisted for possible inclusion on their site.  I then got another one a while after saying that it had been included on their site  :beer:

There is also a wealth of info on flickr and a massive variety of photos and style.

However, there are two things that annoy me with flickr (and I must confess I do one of them  :D)...

Firstly, and the one I fall into, and that is commenting.  Every comment is always nice..."great shot", "well captured", "excellent".  You hardly ever see any form of constructive criticism - maybe Flickr isn't that type of website?  I find that if you go to 'proper' photography sites such as PR, Talk Photography etc, as opposed to photo sharing sites which is what Flickr is, you are more likely to get constructive criticism IMO.  I would honestly like to have constructive crit on my photos that are on Flickr...afterall you are going to improve/learn more from comments like that rather than the "nice shot" comments on Flickr.  Maybe I should practice what I preach from now on?! 

Secondly, and I see it alot more these days than I used to when I first signed up to Flickr, and that is the constant 'Invites' to groups and 'Post 1 Award 5' type groups....admittedly I have submitted one or two photos in this manner, but I don't tend to do that anymore unless its a group that particularly interests me.

picsfor

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 11:07:06 AM »
Secondly, and I see it alot more these days than I used to when I first signed up to Flickr, and that is the constant 'Invites' to groups and 'Post 1 Award 5' type groups....admittedly I have submitted one or two photos in this manner, but I don't tend to do that anymore unless its a group that particularly interests me.

I have to admit i don't understand that side of it. My work mate does and is doing really well - and i'm pleased for him.
You are right in that comments generate confidence and that is what Flickr is good for. I'm not good at being publicly constructive. Done it last night for the first time and i still feel guilty about it.
But at the end of the day, as much as a dread criticism - if i recieve constructive criticism i would take it on board - because to my mind some one has gone out of their way to look at your picture
(i'm gonna regret this i think  :legit:)

Offline Oly Paul

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
Mainly I visit this and a couple of fourthird forums the most.

I have Flickr account but do not really participate that much since setting it up a few months ago ( i really must make the effort) , I suppose if we are talking about your images being veiwed rather than participating in a dialogue forum then proberly my Pbase account is the most popular as I average between 1500 and 2000 page veiws every week.
Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Offline krennon

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 06:18:25 PM »

I have also given talks to the odd camera club, by invitation and only if it's within easy travelling distance.

The invite to come and talk at Kingston is still open anytime at all Alan, after all it was you that convinced me joining a club was a good idea (which it was btw) http://www.kingstoncameraclub.co.uk/ anyone is welcome to come along.

Apart from the print comps I've entered at the club (and scored some 8 & 9's and a 10 once) I post to Flickr (not had the account long so not many on there  http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/ and I've got a couple here....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 134/6 Oldboy Last post May 27, 2020, 12:16:45 AM
xx Macro/ Close Up Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 48/0 jinky Last post May 26, 2020, 03:44:30 PM
xx MACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES for weekly comp 17-24th May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 134/5 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:33 PM
xx Photoshop subscription General Discussion 637/23 Jediboy Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:16 PM
xx MACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for weekly comp 17-24/05/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 141/3 Jediboy Last post May 25, 2020, 06:29:24 PM
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 39/0 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 08:07:47 AM
xx POLL-FLORA MONOCHROME International Weekly Comp Entries 242/2 Beaux Reflets Last post May 23, 2020, 06:37:39 PM
xx Poll for GLASS International Weekly Comp Entries 220/5 Jediboy Last post May 23, 2020, 05:08:21 PM