• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 47
  • Total: 47
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Networking

Started by anglefire, April 22, 2010, 08:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Not sure if this is a PC or a MAC question - I suspect the former more appropriate!

Last weekend I was doing the results for our Clubs local rally - which involves a complicated series of linked spreadsheets.

The idea is that the main results system sits on one PC (Has to be a PC because Excel 2008 for MAC doesn't support VB) and I have a separate spreadsheet fo each stage that is shared and can be opened on more than one PC - for speedier entry.

Anyway, I was using my works laptop and the main one onto a router and the MAC as the slave.

Could I get them to talk ? No chance. My IT man at wok said it should be ok - but nothing. Both could see the router but not each other.

I suspect its becuase my works lappy is on a domian - but any ideas?
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

What OS were in use on the Windows computers?

anglefire

Oh, sorry, Windows is XP MAC was Leopard.

One throught my IT man had was to change the workgroup on the MAC to the same name as the domain on the works Lappy.

Not had chance to try it yet - and its one of those things that I probably won't need to do for another 12months!
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

yeah they can be funny things about work groups can Windows systems.
Then trying to connect it to a Mac as well - you're just asking for trouble  ::)

This seems to be one of those areas that MS can not dispute - Apples simplistic and reliable networking abilities.

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a cross over cable?

anglefire

Why would that make it any better? Serious question! The router is just giving out an IP address so is effectively transparent to the computers isn't it?
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

picsfor

With a router you're dealing with various forms of security and firewall.
You have to create a work group and then both computers to sign up to it and agree to accept membership of said group by other computers etc.
Then you have to allocate permissions to various drives and folders.
Don't forget you have to sync protection type as well - MAC handles WEP and WSP differently to Windows - it is generally more robust in its security.
Windows does not handle this in the friendliest of manners. Getting it to hook up to MAC OS for networking took up a couple of whole chapters during my MCP Studies.

So now to a cross over cable.
Plug it into both computers.
Allow them to recognise each other and assign permissions to share the hard drives with each other.
Um - i think that's about it.

Might involve an extra tweak i've forgotten - but generally i always found it to work more successfully.
A bit like booting up from  a DOS boot disk - maybe rather bog standard and requires the use of DOS commands, but it always works!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.