Outdoors - ENTRY thread -...What is it? - CHAT thread...What is it? ENTRY thread ...End of an EraPoll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitPOLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...

Poll

So who was the best Dr.Who?

William Hartnell
0 (0%)
Patrick Troughton
1 (3.7%)
Jon Pertwee
3 (11.1%)
Tom Baker
11 (40.7%)
Peter Davison
0 (0%)
Colin Baker
0 (0%)
Sylvester McCoy
1 (3.7%)
Christopher Eccleston
6 (22.2%)
David Tennant
5 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: The totally trivial Poll - 1.Dr.Who  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Simple

Re: The totally trivial Poll - 1.Dr.Who
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 05:20:49 PM »
Voted for Tom Baker, because that is the only one I can recollect of being dr Who.
I am from Holland, so that is my excuse. ;)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »
Patrick Troughton for me.

The best ever baddy was the Celestial Toymaker played by Michael Gough. Very spooky when you're only 10 years old . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 07:05:27 PM »
Watched it since Patrick Troughton.
My favourite was always Tom Baker but when it returned i was taken with Christopher Ecclestone.
He was the right man to bring it back and i'm really sad he only done the one season.
He was good for at least another one if not 2 seasons - hence he got my vote.

Offline chris@seary.com

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
Yeah, I think Chris Ecclestone would have fared better if he'd stayed longer. Leaving after just one series, he kind of disappeared from the mind a bit. He got my vote for being the one who brought Doctor Who back again after all those years.

Offline DaveB

• Airworks Pro Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »
Troughton was great, Tom Baker was the best and the one I voted for. There's two off the list though...Peter Cushing from the films and Paul McGann.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 10:33:12 PM »
Tom Baker gets my vote.

I met him a couple of times when he came to our AV facility to do a voice overs on a couple of short in house training videos. Great guy, lots of fun, but what impressed me was his total professionalism. He watched the video along with the script about four times, made notes on the script and appeared to conduct himself with one hand whilst speaking. In between when things were stopped for adjustments  etc. he just sat back and read a book.

Offline Carlj

• Global Moderator
  • Happy to shoot
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 10:47:33 PM »
Tom all the way for me. Eccentric, alien, performances from him make him the definitive Dr Who.

And he's now got his own official site!

www.tom-baker.co.uk

Check out his cats!

Offline Bingo

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 12:04:18 AM »
  :-\ I can remember hiding behind the sofa from the darleks at my aunts when I was about eight or nine, Patrick Troughton was the doc then, but I think Christopher Eccleston has been the best for me, never thought David Tennant would be able to fill his boots but he’s not done a bad job. Can’t see this new kid being up to much when he takes over though.

Offline greypoint

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 06:23:06 AM »
One criticism I have of the current Dr Who adventures is that the majority are one episode - just a few stretch to two. It should really be a cliff hanger serial as it was in the past. I suppose it's a modern day short attention span thing.

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 08:48:13 AM »
One criticism I have of the current Dr Who adventures is that the majority are one episode - just a few stretch to two. It should really be a cliff hanger serial as it was in the past. I suppose it's a modern day short attention span thing.
I've found quite the opposite. There are the odd two parters, and loads of single episodes, but after watching them all you discover that there is a common story line that runs through them. Although this common story line is usually somewhat subtle, c.f. "Bad Wolf".

Personally, I harbour a dislike of Eccleston's portrayal and his apparent use of the Dr Who character as a vehicle for career advancement: "Play the part, get the media exposure and then quit". Quitting after a single series was just too obvious a move. Also his impulsive characterisation and wildly swinging moods didn't really lend themselves to the concept of a person that is normally in control and a leader.

Tom Baker was also a bit too pompous to be entirely enjoyable. I think most of his following comes from having been the Dr. for so long.

As for Tennent, I thought he was probably the best. Although you can't help but wonder how the other actors would have handled the same scripts. It is, after all, the script and situation that ultimately defines the personality of the characters.

The best modern episode, though, has to be "Blink". The one with the statues ... I still look suspiciously at gargoyles.

H.

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 09:36:09 AM »
Hugh - I'm jealous - do you get the BBC where you are ?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 11:15:09 AM »
Hugh - I'm jealous - do you get the BBC where you are ?

Via the cable company and their digital service we get BBC 1,2,3,4, prime and world. However, if you want to use the Iplayer...you can't. Unless you do what I've done and connect the PC up to the TV, go to VPNUK.co.uk, register for a VPN account and then run your computer with that VPN service. It makes your computer officially on one of the UK networks, and bob's your uncle, the iplayer is no longer thinking you're sausage-side.

H.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 11:46:53 AM »
We're lucky here I guess, the satellite signal is stronger than it was in the UK (Hugh could no doubt explain why). So we get all the free to air satellite channels. I also have a VPN set up, but rarely use it as Vista refuses to connect to it for some reason.

Blink was voted the second best episode of Dr Who ever, the first placed one was a Peter Davison one: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/17/best_who_ever/

As an aside I have an advert at the bottom of my screen asking me if I like Sarah Palin. Bemused just about covers that one.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 02:06:06 PM »
We're lucky here I guess, the satellite signal is stronger than it was in the UK (Hugh could no doubt explain why).
because you're further south and closer to the satellite - less atmosphere for the signal to travel through. Probably a drier air column above your head as well.

So we get all the free to air satellite channels. I also have a VPN set up, but rarely use it as Vista refuses to connect to it for some reason.
Hmmm, I've only tried it with XP. Haven't bothered to go the Vista route yet. Can't see what more I'd be getting for the money.

Blink was voted the second best episode of Dr Who ever, the first placed one was a Peter Davison one: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/17/best_who_ever/
Hmmm....have to see the Davidson one sometime.

As an aside I have an advert at the bottom of my screen asking me if I like Sarah Palin. Bemused just about covers that one.
Scared covers it for me.

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 05:03:09 PM »
Thanks Hugh, I shall look into it. I've never heard of VPN. I keep hoping that German TV will show stuff in dual audio (switchable between original and German), but that's only available on pay TV. Not that we don't pay for the normal cable TV ...  :P
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 137/4 Oldboy Last post September 28, 2020, 10:02:45 AM
xx What is it? - CHAT thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 16/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:20:03 PM
xx What is it? ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 12/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:17:48 PM
xx End of an Era General Discussion 110/6 anglefire Last post September 27, 2020, 02:28:15 PM
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 185/5 Jediboy Last post September 26, 2020, 09:30:50 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 219/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 144/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 142/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM