Poll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?

Author Topic: Derren Brown and the lottery  (Read 3042 times)

picsfor

Re: Derren Brown and the lottery
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 05:41:54 PM »
Paul Daniels was quoted on Radio today as saying there were 99 different ways of achieving that result.
But it's a very clever piece of entertainment.  Especially as a trailer for his new series.

I think you take it there - no real come back to that.

Offline jimthetrain

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 09:13:28 PM »
Watching the explaination now. Flippin' adverts. Nothing else of any interest on.  :(

Edit: That was an hour of my life wasted. Think i'll drown the old grey cells in beer after that. :beer: :beer:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:03:53 PM by jimthetrain »
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Offline Trickee

• Mysite
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 10:50:26 PM »
how was it done then? missed the explanation :)

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 12:39:50 AM »
how was it done then? missed the explanation :)

basically he got a group of people to do it, got them to go into state of mind and just jot things down using free hand and not much control of what they were writing, first just to let the pencil do what ever it wanted on a paper then write numbers ...

short version, someone might put it better, or its bound to be on the channel 4 website like the iplayer version.   
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 07:14:12 AM »
As I saw it, baring in mind I had to watch the +1 repeat cos I fell asleep. Actually I missed chunks of the repeat too!

Anyway, a group of people analysed the last years balls and wrote down in this subconciuos state what they thought the result of each ball would be, then took the average.

That or he messed with the machine.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline greypoint

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 07:17:02 AM »
These explanations make it as clear as mud for me :D Think I'll take a look on Channel 4 catch up later - the advantage of that being you can fast forward to the important bits and only waste a few minutes of your life :2funny:

Offline Simple

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »
It is a shame that he did not wanted to tell straight away how he done it. He is obviously milking this stunt a bit more. The explanation given was full of misdirection. The theory behind that system works only with a huge number of people (in the tens of thousands). It will never accurately work in a small group of 24.  :D

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »
that system works only with a huge number of people (in the tens of thousands). It will never accurately work in a small group of 24.  :D

Well he did it with 23 not 24 i think in the end since one of them couldn't do the drawing free hand thing.
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Offline jimthetrain

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 08:26:45 PM »
In the earlier experiments, the group of 24 worked out and wrote down the final numbers. In the last one only Derren Brown worked out the average and the 24 never saw the numbers until he revealed them after the draw.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Offline DaveB

• Airworks Pro Gallery
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 09:32:05 AM »
I don't believe a word of it. The average of mubblings of 20 odd people...piffle. So next week those twenty three people are going to get together without him and make a fortune :D
The maths just doesn't work. Studying the past wins and peoples favorite number patterns helps the odds a tad maybe to only get a number that most 'people' would put forward. But this number he picked nobody public won. The odds on that are just crazy! Just a trick, maybe just light sensitive sections on the balls, lasers or simple optical fiber lights to add on any numbers that come up to the balls. We're photographers, we know a variation of this process. :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:34:22 AM by DaveB »

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
Just a trick, maybe just light sensitive sections on the balls, lasers or simple optical fiber lights to add on any numbers that come up to the balls. We're photographers, we know a variation of this process. :)
I don't put numbers on my balls but then, I've only got two!!!  ::)  :2funny:

Offline jinky

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 04:48:05 PM »
I thought it said on the radio that this first explanation was just another bit of mis-direction aimed at bringing in viewers to the next shows. It is clearly nonsense as an explanation as the guesses of 24 people have no relevance to the workings of a machine making selections!

been a bit of trouble in a local pub round here that uses acts on stage recently. A mate of mine went up to perform and they said "You`re not a hypnotist are you?". He said no a singer - why? The guy said "Well the last one that came here put a load of people in a trance, got them prancing round the stage as horses, then he tripped and fell off shouting "dump" at the top of his voice. We`ve been cleaning up ever since"

Err sorry - wrong thread - i`ll get my coat ;)

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 05:29:59 PM »
I can't believe the number of people on other sites discussing whether Derren Brown's method would work.

IT WAS A LIE.  Pure and simple.  I'm betting on split screen now.
It's Guest's round

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 54/0 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:57:50 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 189/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 123/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 128/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 206/4 jinky Last post September 21, 2020, 08:58:04 AM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 340/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 198/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM