Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...Drone

Author Topic: Camera Insurance  (Read 257 times)

Offline Jediboy

Camera Insurance
« on: June 12, 2020, 03:23:00 PM »
Hi,

I have been contemplating getting camera insurance. I have always relied on home insurance but wondered what people on here have?

Camera insurance or home insurance??

Chris

May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline jinky

Re: Camera Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 04:26:45 PM »
When I was earning from photography I took out full camera insurance with public liability and public indemnity but when I stopped reverted back to covering my photography gear as an extension on my home insurance. I totted up what I took on holiday with me to ensure I was covered when it was away from home as well as at home and although I`ve not tested any insurer with a claim it`s enough for me.

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 08:55:48 PM »
Cheers Jinky.

As time has gone by I have acquired more and more photography kit and now a drone. Think I'll phone the home insurance company and see what difference it makes to the policy, and then maybe get a quote for separate insurance, and then see which works best.

Chris

Offline StephenBatey

• Keep calm and carry on buying large format cameras
    • stephenbatey/
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 09:20:13 PM »
I'm also relying on home insurance. To be honest, the equipment I take on holiday isn't made any more, and hardly ever appears on the second hand market, so money wouldn't help in replacing it.

For the curious, the camera is a Walker Titan of which only 1000 were made. If anything did happen, I'd switch to another large format camera, as I have a number.

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 09:41:49 PM »
I'll be honest, I've never heard of a Walker Titan.
Hopefully you'll never need to call on insurance!

Chris

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 07:29:36 AM »
I rang my home insurer some years ago - but they wouldn't cover what I had then. I did use one of the the popular ones for the first year - but then heard very bad reports so changed and have been with aaduki ever since. https://www.aaduki.com/

I have had to use them once when I managed to drop my 100-400 out of my camera bag when in America and had no issues and the claim was approved and paid for with no quibble - even when the estimate was increased due to another part been found to be busted once its was opened up by Canon.

I do have Public Liability and Product Liability insurance with it as I do the very occasional paid shoot.

It covers me away from home - which is often the issue with using Home insurance - fine in the house........... - and 60 days worldwide.

It certainly isn't cheap - but having had to use it, worth it in my mind at least!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline jinky

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
Yes you have to take out the specified cover for use out of the house / on holiday and I`ve never had a problem getting cover from any home insurer given the extra premium payable.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 16/1 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:30:37 PM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 192/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 634992/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 37/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 23/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 172/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 210/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM
xx TIME OUT. Entry thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 168/3 Oldboy Last post July 27, 2020, 10:17:12 PM