POLL - TemperatureWeekly Comp - TEMPERATURE...POLL for BOKEHUNUSUAL PERSPECTIVE - Ent...UNUSUAL PERPECTIVE - Chat...CHAT-BOKEH-Weekly Comp 24...ENTRIES-BOKEH-Weekly Comp...Low Light - POLLWeekly comp- TEMPERATURE ...Low Ligt - Weekly Comp CH...LOW LIGHT - Weekly comp E...POLL for BEATLES SONGPoll - Selective ColourCHAT-BEATLES SONG TITLE-W...ENTRIES-BEATLES SONG TITL...Selective Colour / Colour...

Author Topic: Heron  (Read 468 times)

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Heron
« on: September 08, 2019, 11:33:43 AM »
Went to Munster Castle in the lakes last week - well worth a visit - they have a BOP display (Not many birds and seem very immature but nice enough) and also feed the scraps to the Herons - upto around 16 - there were 11 or 12 when we were there.

You still need a decent lens to get them in flight but they come pretty close so any lens is good enough for portraits.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Jediboy

Re: Heron
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 02:23:51 PM »
Great capture Mark, bet you're pleased with this.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline anglefire

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 09:29:00 PM »
Hi Chris. Yes it was pretty pleasing - though it was fairly easy given the number of them. I have about 1/2 dozen or more that are pretty good and some good portraits too.

I am going to update my website with them when I get chance.
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline jinky

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 12:19:57 PM »
Went to Munster Castle in the lakes last week - well worth a visit - they have a BOP display (Not many birds and seem very immature but nice enough) and also feed the scraps to the Herons - upto around 16 - there were 11 or 12 when we were there.

You still need a decent lens to get them in flight but they come pretty close so any lens is good enough for portraits.

isn`t that Muncaster Castle? Went a few years back. If it`s the same place they feed the heron at a particular time so always guaranteed a good sighting.

Offline anglefire

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 07:17:49 AM »

isn`t that Muncaster Castle? Went a few years back. If it`s the same place they feed the heron at a particular time so always guaranteed a good sighting.

Yes it is - Munster/Muncaster same thing really ;)

And yes they feed them at about 4pm - just after the castle closes - probably timed to make sure no one stays inside :)

A good hour before and the Heron's start to congregate.

Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Temperature International Weekly Comp Entries 53/0 Jediboy Last post December 10, 2019, 05:38:47 PM
xx Weekly Comp - TEMPERATURE - Entry Thread International Weekly Comp Entries 168/3 Oldboy Last post December 10, 2019, 12:09:03 AM
xx POLL for BOKEH International Weekly Comp Entries 187/3 Hinfrance Last post December 09, 2019, 08:04:20 AM
xx UNUSUAL PERSPECTIVE - Entry thread, Weekly comp International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Jediboy Last post December 07, 2019, 07:12:46 PM
xx UNUSUAL PERPECTIVE - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 Jediboy Last post December 07, 2019, 07:10:28 PM
xx CHAT-BOKEH-Weekly Comp 24/11-1/12/2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 234/2 jinky Last post December 04, 2019, 08:25:08 AM
xx ENTRIES-BOKEH-Weekly Comp 24/11-1/12/2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 278/4 Oldboy Last post December 02, 2019, 11:20:19 PM
xx Low Light - POLL International Weekly Comp Entries 313/4 Hinfrance Last post December 01, 2019, 07:31:24 AM