POLL - Home and GardenHOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...

Author Topic: Heron  (Read 1041 times)

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Heron
« on: September 08, 2019, 11:33:43 AM »
Went to Munster Castle in the lakes last week - well worth a visit - they have a BOP display (Not many birds and seem very immature but nice enough) and also feed the scraps to the Herons - upto around 16 - there were 11 or 12 when we were there.

You still need a decent lens to get them in flight but they come pretty close so any lens is good enough for portraits.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Jediboy

Re: Heron
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 02:23:51 PM »
Great capture Mark, bet you're pleased with this.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline anglefire

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 09:29:00 PM »
Hi Chris. Yes it was pretty pleasing - though it was fairly easy given the number of them. I have about 1/2 dozen or more that are pretty good and some good portraits too.

I am going to update my website with them when I get chance.
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline jinky

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 12:19:57 PM »
Went to Munster Castle in the lakes last week - well worth a visit - they have a BOP display (Not many birds and seem very immature but nice enough) and also feed the scraps to the Herons - upto around 16 - there were 11 or 12 when we were there.

You still need a decent lens to get them in flight but they come pretty close so any lens is good enough for portraits.

isn`t that Muncaster Castle? Went a few years back. If it`s the same place they feed the heron at a particular time so always guaranteed a good sighting.

Offline anglefire

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 07:17:49 AM »

isn`t that Muncaster Castle? Went a few years back. If it`s the same place they feed the heron at a particular time so always guaranteed a good sighting.

Yes it is - Munster/Muncaster same thing really ;)

And yes they feed them at about 4pm - just after the castle closes - probably timed to make sure no one stays inside :)

A good hour before and the Heron's start to congregate.

Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Home and Garden International Weekly Comp Entries 69/0 Jediboy Last post April 07, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 176/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 165/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 105/4 Jediboy Last post April 06, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 222/5 Jediboy Last post April 05, 2020, 11:46:39 PM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 66/0 jinky Last post April 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 594119/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571627/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM