Outdoors - ENTRY thread -...What is it? - CHAT thread...What is it? ENTRY thread ...End of an EraPoll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitPOLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...

Author Topic: Drones??  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Jediboy

Re: Drones??
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
You're wise to go straight to DJI. I have purchased things from Amazon in the past only to find that they are fake.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 01:51:59 PM »
You're wise to go straight to DJI. I have purchased things from Amazon in the past only to find that they are fake.

:tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »
My Air arrived yesterday - didn't get to fly it because a) wind - too much of and b) firmware updates - too many of. I left it running the updates when we went out to dinner with our neighbours and it had finally finished when we got back hours later.

Haven't flown it today on account of rain - too much of   :o
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »
That must be really frustrating. The one thing you can’t control is the weather. Fingers crossed for some decent weather.

Chris

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 01:11:11 PM »
Any sign of the Yuneeq yet?

I finally found the DJI Youtube videos on the Mavic Air (rather than the thousands of user reviews and demos) - learned more in ten minutes than I had in the previous month. Not least because DJI are not big on detailed manuals.

Still enjoying it enormously, although my phone does get rather hot whilst flying. Partly due, I would imagine, to having the brightness turned up to maximum against the sunlight.

I've just found another part of the camera menu, so hope I can post some decent images on here soon. Right now house and car maintenance are taking priority over mucking about, but I'll give it a go.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »
In short, no. The drone I was after no longer appears to be available, not at the price I had seen it for anyway.
Have been looking at the same drone but with the GoPro attachment as opposed to the actual 4K camera. This is very tempting as it comes with a gimbal for the GoPro, which is something that I have been looking at. Problem is, its for GoPros upto 4, and I have a 5. Researching to see how easy it is to adapt it to accommodate the 5.

How are you getting on with the Mavic? Any good films yet?

Chris

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 09:09:06 PM »
Sorry to hear about your problems getting hold of a Yuneeq. Hopefully you will be able to sort out adapting the gimbal. Will you then have FPV?
The reason I ask is that FPV is a IMO pretty much essential to get good video and stills. Otherwise working out where you are going to capture is rather hit and miss.
I am enjoying the Mavic immensely. Not much in the way of footage yet: I had the PC falling over problem (PSU was faulty) which prevented me from doing anything with any graphics at all for several weeks. And then there has been the weather which has been awful. We've had very little in the way of dry days, and I have had to use those on the garden and house maintenance.
Surely it will improve soon?!?
Anyway, I am starting to get a better handle on the Mavic's camera. Took some test shots this evening that I'll try to process tomorrow.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 06:21:47 PM »
How are you getting on with the drone H?
I have decided not to go ahead at this time with a drone purchase. I very nearly bid on a Yuneec Typhoon today on eBay that in the end went for £256 which is in fact a really good price.
I have decided to put that money towards a gimbal for my DSLR. Have given it some serious thought and realised that I will get more use from the gimbal, I have plenty of ideas, and possibly a business venture too which the gimbal would be more use for.
Haven't written it off completely, but its on long term hold.

Chris

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 07:27:53 AM »
I'm sure you'll be very happy with a DSLR gimbal - it'll make video captures a breeze.

I'm still thoroughly enjoying my Mavic. Flying it is a very easy, I'm still getting to grips with all of the video and still modes - and I haven't been able to use many of the automatic zooms and panning because I don't really have enough open space here - too many dang trees!

Even not taking photos it's brilliant - the top speed in sport mode is over 60kph so it's an absolute hoot - It is actually collecting splatted insects on the body. Will be going to the UK in a week's time so will be looking to play with some of the automatic features on the beach near my friends' house in Devon.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 10:42:24 AM »
Sounds like fun! And fast.
Bet the beach videos will come out well, some beautiful places in Devon.

A couple of friends have drones, one a Mavic Pro and one an Inspire I think (he is very lucky, it was a gift!). I am making a video for work, more of a fun thing for me to do than anything else, and they have kindly agreed to film the aerial bits for me.

Chris

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 12:40:53 PM »
Lucky friends!

Hope the filming goes well. Getting a bit better with mine every time I fly it. At least that's what I am telling myself.   ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 127/4 Oldboy Last post Today at 10:02:45 AM
xx What is it? - CHAT thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 14/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:20:03 PM
xx What is it? ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 11/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:17:48 PM
xx End of an Era General Discussion 108/6 anglefire Last post September 27, 2020, 02:28:15 PM
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 184/5 Jediboy Last post September 26, 2020, 09:30:50 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 216/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 140/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 141/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM