Poll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?

Author Topic: Photography by moonlight  (Read 1219 times)

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
Photography by moonlight
« on: December 10, 2017, 09:55:52 AM »
There I was, stumbling about in a field in the cold and almost pitch dark. Could see almost nothing in the viewfinder (optical or live view) even with a torch shone on the subject. (Weak batteries I later found). Camera on tripod, snap, check composition, exposure and focus on review, adjust slightly and try again. Ended up with this shot.

The odd thing is that it looks almost monochrome (grey/brown) on both my monitors, but a print shows quite beautiful shades of green and blue in the sky. I can only guess that the printer's colour gamut is much wider than either monitor.

Simon

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Re: Photography by moonlight
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
That's a possibility Simon, although it's also possible that the printer is simply badly calibrated and prints non existent colours. I had an Epson like that once  :(  >:(
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline SimonW

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 04:30:15 PM »
I did wonder. It's Epson and I've always been very pleased by how well it reflects the monitor and I've never noticed discoloured blacks in more 'normal' images or monochrome ones. I've made two prints now, the 6x4 and now an A4 and they do closely match. The main thing is I like the result but it seems I can't share it here.

Cheers,
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline SimonW

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 05:59:01 PM »
Hi again H,

Having tried every software trick I know (including duplicating layers with various blend modes) in an attempt to bring out any colour in that file and failing, I then very carefully examined my prints with a magnifying glass. I'm now convinced you are correct. It seems that like yours my Epson printer isn't too good at rendering those very dark browns. (They probably would really have been black anyway if I'd correctly set the white balance).

One lives and learns....

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 07:46:22 AM »
Glad you've got to the bottom of it. With mine it was dark reds that were way off, but that's not too far off browns. I sold it to a friend who only used it for text and bought a Canon.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 11:20:51 AM »
Just to add that camera sensors can produce false colours due to quantum effects produced with the energy in the sensor.  :o

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 40/0 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:57:50 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 121/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 124/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 204/4 jinky Last post September 21, 2020, 08:58:04 AM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 45/0 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 338/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 196/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM