MACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for...What annoyed you today?Macro/ Close Up PollMY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT ...MACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES...Photoshop subscriptionMY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY...POLL-FLORA MONOCHROMEPoll for GLASSGLASS - ENTRY thread - t...CHAT-FLORA MONOCHROME-Wee...ENTRIES-FLORA MONOCHROME-...1Dx Mk3GLASS chat thread - th...POLL DECONSTRUCTEDDeconstructed - ENTRIES 2...

Author Topic: Question  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Simple

Question
« on: August 11, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »
The picture I posted of the motorbike has only one part of the picture in sharp focus (during panning) How does that happen? Has that effect got a name? I ask because when I understand it, it might be practiced and used more effective. Excuse my ignorance on this.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »
My guess is that you stopped or paused in the smooth panning motion or the camera rotated a wink as you pressed the shutter; with the cameras software Auto Focus center weighted"?, kicking in.  :tup:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:10:19 PM by beauxreflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Simple

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:17:03 AM »
Thanks Andy, If it was the first or last picture of the series (Shot at 9 fps)series of 7pictures. I would agree. I asked a sports journalist yesterday and he told me it was the angles of the bike coming toward me. You would only get everything sharp if the bike or car is at straight angles with the camera. Under an angle the front and rear of the bike move away closer to the camera than the part where you have focussed. (assuming you have continuous focus on) the focussed part is OK but the rest is moving at different speeds.
The effect can be reduced by being further away from the bike and using longer lens, and ofcourse speed of bike and shutter. The latter will be detrimental to the panning effect ofcourse. It took me a while to get my head around it, but it makes sort of sense now.

Offline justinyoung

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 09:54:15 PM »
This picture was really great! I like it
Hello to everybody here!

Offline Simple

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »
Well, thank you Justin!
 :tup:

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 07:05:07 AM »
I don't know which picture you are referring to - but when panning, the shutter speed is low compared to what you would normally take and depending on the angle of the subject to the camera and as the shutter passes over the sensor as a slit, different bits of the image are captured at different times, so you get the effect that some is in sharp focus and other bits not because its moved.

As for its name - it must have one, but I'm buggered if I can remember or find it!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx MACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for weekly comp 17-24/05/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 148/4 jinky Last post Today at 07:08:56 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 615013/3944 Oldboy Last post Today at 12:47:26 AM
xx Macro/ Close Up Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 73/1 Oldboy Last post May 28, 2020, 02:54:28 PM
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 147/6 Oldboy Last post May 27, 2020, 12:16:45 AM
xx MACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES for weekly comp 17-24th May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 139/5 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:33 PM
xx Photoshop subscription General Discussion 643/23 Jediboy Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:16 PM
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 42/0 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 08:07:47 AM
xx POLL-FLORA MONOCHROME International Weekly Comp Entries 246/2 Beaux Reflets Last post May 23, 2020, 06:37:39 PM