POLL - Outdoors Outdoors - ENTRY thread -...What is it? - CHAT thread...What is it? ENTRY thread ...End of an EraPoll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitPOLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - Portraits

Author Topic: Affinity Windows Beta Release  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Affinity Windows Beta Release
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:14:41 AM »
Good news everyone.

Serif has just released the Windows Beta version of Affinity Photo. You can sign up and get it free for the beta period HERE

The Affinity release for Mac was awarded Apple's 'App of the Year' in 2015.

I've got mine, and I will edit this week's entry with it.  ;)

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Re: Affinity Windows Beta Release
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »
I tend to like the Serif software I currently use, so will give it a go - Cheers Howard
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:12:19 AM »
I've just started mucking around with it. Loading plugins is a bit of a pain - I had to do the Topaz suite one at a time, and it doesn't understand Viveza from Nik, which is a bit of shame. It also doesn't recognise On1 or Franzis plugins.

And, horror of horrors, luminosity masking returned no results in the help search!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 10:33:14 AM »
Downloaded but cannot get it to run yet for some reason  - Ho hum

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 09:10:10 AM »
Downloaded and running. But can't work out how it works. Managed to change a picture that looked ok, to one that was awful, but no idea how or how to get it back.

I'll try once more then if I can't make it work it will be taken off again.

I know it's beta, but it should be at a place that is at least user friendly - it's effectively a port from mac, so should only be ironing out quirks and minor bugs.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »
Erm, it works pretty much the same way as Photoshop. Just did a quick HDR from three dull shots using the 'dramatic' tone map preset, lightened up the foreground shadows a bit with a 10% white brush on a neutral grey overlay layer, just as I would in PS, and added a vignette by adding a fuzzy selection of the outside of the image on a new layer, blending mode to multiply, just as I would do in PS.

There are a few weird bits where I need to read the manual - I still haven't located the gradient map dialogue for example. I've got all of the Topaz plugins working, and most of the Nik ones. To me the app looks a lot like Photoplus  X8 with a more up to date skin and a number of additional bells and whistles.

In addition the video guides look pretty impressive HERE
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:56:52 AM by Hinfrance »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 01:57:05 PM »

On the beta forum one other user has reported failure to start - it seems, so far, to be related to a .net framework glitch. I'll keep you posted and let you know if I see anything new on that.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline anglefire

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
Had another quick play and not sure I'm a fan - perhaps just too used to photoshop - or at least LR!
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 02:27:05 PM »

On the beta forum one other user has reported failure to start - it seems, so far, to be related to a .net framework glitch. I'll keep you posted and let you know if I see anything new on that.

Cheers Howard, I expected it was a glitch of some sort , as every which way I have tried to get it to run has failed so far, while other reinstalled software functions OK.

Offline anglefire

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 03:34:52 PM »
Tried again. Now uninstalled as I just can't get on with it.

Can't seem to load preloaded images into a stack, or HDR them. Just too many things that are bugging me -that and I simply don't have the time to play!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
Horses for courses Mark! I've never really got on with LR - I find it infuriating a lot of the time. PS I do like though, even if Adobe do keep mucking about with it. I shall miss that when my sub expires.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline anglefire

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 11:13:51 PM »
I "upgraded" to CC not long ago (The trial is now either 7 or 14 days on PS CC) and I had a quick play this afternoon after I found liquify is face aware - and does work very well - if you are into that sort of thing!

But I agree, horses for courses - I didn't like LR until release 4 came out - and then it all clicked!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 01:46:20 PM »
Andy, there is a new version of the beta out now V1.0.5.37, maybe you can get that to install?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 03:36:53 PM »
Andy, there is a new version of the beta out now V1.0.a5.37, maybe you can get that to install?

Still not able to get the prog to run, but thanks for the info Howard.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 08:06:18 AM »
Affinity has now been released for Windows - £29.99 or €39.99 until 22nd December. I've just bought my licence.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Outdoors International Weekly Comp Entries 24/0 Jediboy Last post September 29, 2020, 06:17:14 PM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 155/4 Oldboy Last post September 28, 2020, 10:02:45 AM
xx What is it? - CHAT thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 21/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:20:03 PM
xx What is it? ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 14/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:17:48 PM
xx End of an Era General Discussion 121/6 anglefire Last post September 27, 2020, 02:28:15 PM
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 196/5 Jediboy Last post September 26, 2020, 09:30:50 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 222/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 149/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM