POLL - Outdoors Outdoors - ENTRY thread -...What is it? - CHAT thread...What is it? ENTRY thread ...End of an EraPoll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitPOLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - Portraits

Author Topic: CHAT thread weekly challenge 17 - 23 Aug Subject: TOOLS OF THE TRADE  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: CHAT thread weekly challenge 17 - 23 Aug Subject: TOOLS OF THE TRADE
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »
Jeff, I don't 'see' why you should withdraw your entry. Can't you put it back, before Ogga sets the poll?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 09:34:48 AM »
Reinardina, as much as I would like to put my entry back I feel that I cannot backtrack on something that I have publically said.

Thank you for asking and I know people have left the forum over a lesser disagreement, I am going nowhere, it is just that I felt that my explanation of a "TOOL OF THE TRADE" has been viewed in a different light and I feel that it is incorrect, hence the withdrawal.

Hope that you understand where I am coming from.

Jeff

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Offline oggalily

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 10:06:12 AM »
Ok folks, poll is up.

Personally I knew it would be a vague theme open to interpretation - in fact once I set it I immediately regretted it as I had no idea how I would fulfill it myself.  I am happy there has been some debate on the theme but I'm sorry that a strong image has been dropped in the process. 

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 10:18:37 AM »
Golly, I just nip out to the shops . . .

It has always been the way here that it is up to the voters in the poll to decide if an image meets a brief, because we all have different interpretations - that's part of the appeal.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »
Ok folks, poll is up.

Personally I knew it would be a vague theme open to interpretation - in fact once I set it I immediately regretted it as I had no idea how I would fulfill it myself.  I am happy there has been some debate on the theme but I'm sorry that a strong image has been dropped in the process.

I don't agree with you Ogga, I don't think the theme is vague, and open to too much interpretation. To me it's rather straight forward.

I had 'tools of the trade' all over my apartment for the last three weeks, when my kitchen was refurbished. Sadly I had taken photographs so regularly, that I got a bit fed upp and it never entered my head to take another one for the competition. Till it was too late and the fitters had gone.

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 10:31:16 AM »
Golly, I just nip out to the shops . . .

It has always been the way here that it is up to the voters in the poll to decide if an image meets a brief, because we all have different interpretations - that's part of the appeal.

H, Obviously it must be me  but people when voting look at a picture for what it is and I think that they overlook the tie up between the picture and the brief. This has happened before and will again.

That said good luck to everyone that have entered.

Ogga, the brief was not vague at all, just misinterpreted as far as I am concerned.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:34:05 AM by kerbside »

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.

Offline jinky

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »
Sorry I`ve not been around. Not been too well recently and no shooting done really so no entry. Just as well as when thinking about an entry my idea had been to stick the sink plunger on my face  and do a self portrait under the  title of " Head unblocker" which would probably have been seen as stretching the brief too. Like H I prefer a scenario where people enter what they think fits and voters decide. Seems to work usually. I think mine would have been seen as a tool  but not for the stated purpose so???

I`ve regularly seen chefs refer to their locally grown /sourced veg as their key tools of the trade so would not have had any problems with  that entry or Jeffs` and do try to vote for the best picture fitting the brief as I interpret it - which is always the issue when some have broader interpretations than others.

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 12:18:19 PM »
jinky,

My entry was on brief.

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
A withdrawl from Jeff for no reason. Sorry you did that Jeff. Apart from Jeff, are all of the other entries included? haven't we lost a tractor?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 12:43:48 PM »
A withdrawl from Jeff for no reason. Sorry you did that Jeff. Apart from Jeff, are all of the other entries included? haven't we lost a tractor?

A tractor isn't that easily lost, and it's there alright.

Have been googling 'Chef tools of the trade' and found this quite amusing:

Pots and pans

Ladles and spatulas

Stoves and ovens

French accent

Especially the last one.

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 12:47:59 PM »

Chris, Sorry but you know the reason why I have withdrawn my entry as anyone can see if they look in the Chat thread as far as I am concerned your picture is NOT on brief in my opinion.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:55:39 PM by kerbside »

Offline jinky

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
jinky,

My entry was on brief.

Never thought otherwise Jeff. But in my head so were the others - it`s all intrerpretation.

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »
jinky,

My entry was on brief.

Never thought otherwise Jeff. But in my head so were the others - it`s all intrerpretation.

Sorry jinky but I never would use the word tool for a carrot or cabbage, but there you go, I thought that it meant a ?piece of ?equipment that you use with ?your ?hands to make or ?repair something: the emphasise being on equipment.
I am calling this a day as it will only drag on and end up getting nowhere. I think I am correct, others have their opinion so that's that. If I had posted a picture of a seascape could I say that it was a tool of the fisherman??????????????????????????? Don't think so.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:08:10 PM by kerbside »

Offline jinky

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »
Seascape - no not for me. But as I've said voter decides. I didn't vote for the food but for the ballet shoes which you'd possibly not see as a tool to make stuff with your hands. Thart said a ballerina would struggle to do their work without this tool of trade.

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 05:58:01 PM »
jinky,

This could rumble on forever and a day. Cant be bothered with this anymore, another day, another topic.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Outdoors International Weekly Comp Entries 49/0 Jediboy Last post September 29, 2020, 06:17:14 PM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 160/4 Oldboy Last post September 28, 2020, 10:02:45 AM
xx What is it? - CHAT thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 24/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:20:03 PM
xx What is it? ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 17/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:17:48 PM
xx End of an Era General Discussion 126/6 anglefire Last post September 27, 2020, 02:28:15 PM
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 203/5 Jediboy Last post September 26, 2020, 09:30:50 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 227/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 154/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM