Poll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?

Author Topic: Is It Catching?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: Is It Catching?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »
Most will be deleted. Once they are gone I plan doing a photo book as a holiday story including scanning various restaurant bills and a map with notes on to be included.

That's the way forward. Digital images lingering on hard drives, are no good to anybody.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 10:47:55 PM »
Most will be deleted. Once they are gone I plan doing a photo book as a holiday story including scanning various restaurant bills and a map with notes on to be included.

That's the way forward. Digital images lingering on hard drives, are no good to anybody.

Why?  :o

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 09:26:05 AM »

There is also the thought that the majority of images are no good to anybody anyway except to the person who took them. Encapsulating your holiday pictures in a book seems a good idea. Once it's printed it's always to hand, rather than faffing about with a tablet or whatever to involve your friends.

We had a club presentation recently of someones holiday in Myanmar. The first image showed 'The Hotel' where we stayed, the second was of Mr Bing our guide for the week. As soon as that appeared I had a sneaking suspicion I would be leaving after the coffee break. I did leave however with the knowledge that Myanmar used to be Burma. I hope the other dozen or so escapees left with that useful 'Pointless' nugget of information firmly embedded in their recall.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »

There is also the thought that the majority of images are no good to anybody anyway except to the person who took them. Encapsulating your holiday pictures in a book seems a good idea. Once it's printed it's always to hand, rather than faffing about with a tablet or whatever to involve your friends.

We had a club presentation recently of someones holiday in Myanmar. The first image showed 'The Hotel' where we stayed, the second was of Mr Bing our guide for the week. As soon as that appeared I had a sneaking suspicion I would be leaving after the coffee break. I did leave however with the knowledge that Myanmar used to be Burma. I hope the other dozen or so escapees left with that useful 'Pointless' nugget of information firmly embedded in their recall.

That sounds very much like the old fashioned holiday snaps, colleagues and friends had to 'go through,' after every holiday. The sort of images, only your mother would really be interested in. (Slides were even worse!)

A very personal holiday album like that, should stay firmly on the book shelf.

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »

Noticing the lack of activity here on CC over the past week or two, I'm beginning to wonder if there is some dreaded virus that has spread

Only the last "week or two"?  I've been wondering this since October 14, 2007.  :D Blimey is that how long this place has been running, we've come a long way.  :doh:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 07:59:59 AM »

Noticing the lack of activity here on CC over the past week or two, I'm beginning to wonder if there is some dreaded virus that has spread

Only the last "week or two"?  I've been wondering this since October 14, 2007.  :D Blimey is that how long this place has been running, we've come a long way.  :doh:

I regularly look in, often to find the place dead. I keep uploading photos in the hope to trigger 'something,' I try adding to the forum discussions, but sadly, the only time this place really comes alive, is when someone suggests, it might as well be shut down!

It is obvious a lot of people see it as a bolt hole, a refuge, a quiet haven where one can meet up with friends. I am in the last category.

I don't know how to bring back the sparkle, this site (and many others), so desperately need.
All efforts to revive threads, or create new interests, seem to peter out after a while.

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 08:59:35 AM »

I don't know how to bring back the sparkle, this site (and many others), so desperately need.
All efforts to revive threads, or create new interests, seem to peter out after a while.

Sadly, I don't think that will ever happen tbh.  Nothing wrong with it being a quiet haven, but it will take its toll eventually.  Site will be here as long as I have the will to keep it going,  Or perhaps until something major happens to it.  Then I have to think is it worth the time and effort rebuilding it.

We'll see.  Perhaps some major changes are needed anyway.  Change of gallery system, though that would mean starting over with all the images.  Or get rid of it all together, and just use the forum,  Might not be such a bad thing,

Bottom line is, I haven't a clue what direction to take atm, but something's not right.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 09:46:08 AM »

Sadly, I don't think that will ever happen tbh.  Nothing wrong with it being a quiet haven, but it will take its toll eventually.  Site will be here as long as I have the will to keep it going,  Or perhaps until something major happens to it.  Then I have to think is it worth the time and effort rebuilding it.

We'll see.  Perhaps some major changes are needed anyway.  Change of gallery system, though that would mean starting over with all the images.  Or get rid of it all together, and just use the forum,  Might not be such a bad thing,

Bottom line is, I haven't a clue what direction to take atm, but something's not right.

Not sure just forums would do the trick, as they seem to be very quiet as well. At least with the gallery, there's something to look at.

Maybe we should get rid of the way the IOTW is chosen, as on the whole, the images are just run of the mill photos. Nice enough, but not really eye catching.

If we could get images that grab you by the throat, that make you look again, it may make a difference. And I don't mean hard hitting war shots, but photographs that stand out in a positive way. Minimalist, surreal, abstracts, simple things, wild things, experimental things, you get my drift. I hope.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 10:54:27 AM »

Not sure just forums would do the trick, as they seem to be very quiet as well. At least with the gallery, there's something to look at.

Maybe we should get rid of the way the IOTW is chosen, as on the whole, the images are just run of the mill photos. Nice enough, but not really eye catching.

If we could get images that grab you by the throat, that make you look again, it may make a difference. And I don't mean hard hitting war shots, but photographs that stand out in a positive way. Minimalist, surreal, abstracts, simple things, wild things, experimental things, you get my drift. I hope.

I do not think there is anything wrong with the way IOTW is chosen - It's a fair way and aimed toward active members. The only way to see IOTW's that have some 'bang' is for such images to be uploaded 
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 11:02:13 AM »
Yes, in a way it is a 'reward' for members, and it is very nice indeed to have one of your images chosen.
But I am looking for a way to pull in casual visitors. And keep them.

I just put up a poll with images from the site, that grabbed my attention as thumbnails. Just to find out if others find them eye catching too.

Something new, something different, something that might (very wishful thinking) revive the site a bit.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 40/0 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:57:50 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 120/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 124/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 204/4 jinky Last post September 21, 2020, 08:58:04 AM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 45/0 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 338/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 196/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM