Outdoors - ENTRY thread -...What is it? - CHAT thread...What is it? ENTRY thread ...End of an EraPoll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitPOLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...

Author Topic: The 'Nearly Ones'  (Read 2437 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
The 'Nearly Ones'
« on: November 05, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »
We all have a poke at the ones that make it to the Taylor-Wessing portrait competition each year, and now apparently there is an exhibition of some of those that didn't make it.  :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-29878480

It's a bit like the old joke, First prize A week in Skegness, Second prize two weeks in Skegness! :legit:

Offline Graham

Re: The 'Nearly Ones'
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 02:40:13 PM »

"Emma Taylor notes that the judges had to follow their "gut instincts" when selecting images, due to limited time to assess each entry, though she feels that "there's something rather liberating about this, something pure"."

Or    "We had a quick flick through and pulled a few out"!   :legit:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline jinky

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »
Wow - those are ordinary in the extreme!

Yes it does read like a "pull out the bag" justification. I was thinking of entering next year when I saw you had to pay so they make a good profit too!

Offline Graham

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 05:11:16 PM »
I quite like the first one and the soldier in front of the boat. The last one is very "Taylor Wessing" though.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »
I like the second one.  :tup:

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 11:35:47 PM »
The couple sitting on the bed, for me, is very interesting and tells a story. Are they arguing. Is he suffering from impotency? Did they? Didn't they? Is it an illicit tryst?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:29:28 AM »
The couple sitting on the bed, for me, is very interesting and tells a story. Are they arguing. Is he suffering from impotency? Did they? Didn't they? Is it an illicit tryst?

None of the above, I would think, for various, quite obvious (to me anyway). reasons.
They're just sitting there, frozen, without any feeling or passion, as if their budding photographer son or daughter, wanted them to pose for a 'daring' photograph, and this is as far as Mum and Dad are prepared to go.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 08:45:05 AM »
Thats what I love about photography - the stories a good photo can tell
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 02:15:03 PM »

None of the above, I would think, for various, quite obvious (to me anyway). reasons.
They're just sitting there, frozen, without any feeling or passion, as if their budding photographer son or daughter, wanted them to pose for a 'daring' photograph, and this is as far as Mum and Dad are prepared to go.

I think DD's right. It could be any of those reasons or none of them at all. I think they are waiting for the neighbours to appear so they can flash them!  :o
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:29:24 PM by Oldboy »

Offline jinky

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »
And the winner is....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30001721

Eat your heart out!

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 09:42:54 PM »
And the winner is....

Eat your heart out!

The winner said, “Everyone was a bit hazy from the previous day’s excess. My girlfriend passed our son to the subdued revellers on the sofa – the composition and back light was so perfect I had to capture the moment.” So if you want to win this prize, get drunk the night before, get up hungover, grab camera and take a series of photos. Sober up and realize you've captured great light by luck.  :uglystupid2:

Offline jinky

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
And the winner is....

Eat your heart out!

The winner said, “Everyone was a bit hazy from the previous day’s excess. My girlfriend passed our son to the subdued revellers on the sofa – the composition and back light was so perfect I had to capture the moment.” So if you want to win this prize, get drunk the night before, get up hungover, grab camera and take a series of photos. Sober up and realize you've captured great light by luck.  :uglystupid2:

Is it great lighting ? Is it backlit - thought that was a wall behind them. Maybe I don`t understand the concept of backlight - or indeed of composition / use of colour looking at this image. Beats me!

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 12:40:05 PM »
And they haven't even tidied up. If social services get hold of this picture, the baby will be taken into care.
(Especially if the haze is cigarette - or worse - smoke.)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 127/4 Oldboy Last post Today at 10:02:45 AM
xx What is it? - CHAT thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 14/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:20:03 PM
xx What is it? ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 11/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:17:48 PM
xx End of an Era General Discussion 108/6 anglefire Last post September 27, 2020, 02:28:15 PM
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 184/5 Jediboy Last post September 26, 2020, 09:30:50 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 215/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 140/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 141/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM