What annoyed you today?POLL - -WOOD / WOODENWOOD /WOODEN CHAT 10-17th...WOOD /WOODEN ENTRIES 10-1...CHAT-METAL MACRO-Weekly C...CHAT-PRODUCT SHOT-Weekly ...ENTRIES-METAL MACRO-Weekl...POLL for PRODUCT SHOTENTRIES-PRODUCT SHOT-Week...POLL - ENJOYMENTWe need a laugh.ENJOYMENT ENTRIES - 21/12...1Dx Mk3ENJOYMENT CHAT - 21/12/2...Infra red photographyNew Years Resolutions

Poll

Please vote for your favourite FLOWER picture

Blue:

3 (17.6%)
Poppies:

3 (17.6%)
End of the Rose:

1 (5.9%)
Magnolia Bud:

2 (11.8%)
Bill's Best Rose:

0 (0%)
Mallow - Purple Rain:

1 (5.9%)
Inside the Lily:

4 (23.5%)
Lilium Candidum:

3 (17.6%)
Blue Hydrangea:

0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: September 20, 2014, 09:29:53 AM

Author Topic: POLL for FLOWERS- weekly comp 7-14/09  (Read 5206 times)

Offline DigiDiva

Re: POLL for FLOWERS- weekly comp 7-14/09
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 02:54:09 AM »
Pleased u mentioned that.  I have issues with the brightness of images. If I use netbbook, depending on angle of screen depends on darkness of image. If I use my mac it looks fine. I have calibrated the screen. When I view on work pc they look darker again. Any suggestions anyone?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:57:16 AM by DigiDiva »
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 10:30:39 AM »
Mac screens have brighter gamma as a default, so that rather like the increased (bluer) colour temperature on most LED/LCD televisions they draw the eye. So although your Mac screen is calibrated it may very well be brighter than other screens. With your netbook the screen is probably not that bright at the best of times, and the viewing angle is going to be critical - make sure your are looking at it square on.

A quick critique of your winning image: to my way of thinking it is just a bit dull - rather flat, lacking in contrast and with the DOF too narrow at the base of the filaments for my taste. The histogram is quite left shifted, not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but does tend to show it could do with being a bit brighter. The other thing I am not keen on is the grey vignette. I wonder if it would have been better with a white one instead? That would increase the overall image brightness and provide more contrast.

My vote went to Oldboy, even though he cut the base of the bloom off  ::) - I thought it was a good dynamic monochrome. Not as good as mine, obviously, but a nice try.  :legit:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:33:21 AM by Hinfrance »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »
Happy to receive critique about my image if anyone would like to give some.

The bluish vignetting does it no favours, but a different view of a flower is welcome. Not like an image that would be seen in a gardening or seed catalogue, so well done for that. :tup:

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
Happy to receive critique about my image if anyone would like to give some.

While quite an appealing image, the vignette effect fights with my eyes on the righthand side, and the most excitingly lit element in the image (namely the highlight area within the petal detail on the left) distracts from the general focal point of the image (attained through the rule of thirds). Perhaps a little wet edge highlighting on a stamen or two is needed towards obtaining a more comfortable overall balance.

At first glance the dullness in image made me think about those awful  dust covered plastic flowers used in many a foyer!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:00:28 AM by Beaux Reflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 10:58:42 AM »
Thanks all - will take this on board. Wet edge highlighting? Please explain what you mean - do you literally mean highlighting a wet edge or is it a techy term? Tried googling - nothing

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »
Thanks all - will take this on board. Wet edge highlighting? Please explain what you mean - do you literally mean highlighting a wet edge or is it a techy term? Tried googling - nothing

It's a Andy term of phrase Chris; meaning 'Carefully placed, fine dodge and burning' (to add a glistening to specific areas) underlining that it is a living or fresh flower.

In a studio setup, carefully applying a little water here and there to catch the light, can make cut flowers look as though they are still growing in their natural state.    ;)

Out of interest; Why did you choose to add the vignette?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:48:13 AM by Beaux Reflets »

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »
Wet edge highlighting - I need an example - can anyone post an example yere?

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »
Wet edge highlighting - I need an example - can anyone post an example yere?

As I said Chris, 'wet edge highlighting' is a term of phrase I personally use to describe the fine details of, Highlight and Contrasting areas, that allow the viewer to determine things like Translucence, Moist or Wet Surfaces etc.

Without the highlights and contrasts on the stem supporting the Cuckoo Spit it might look quite dead!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:41:37 PM by Beaux Reflets »

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »
My vote went to Oldboy, even though he cut the base of the bloom off  ::) - I thought it was a good dynamic monochrome. Not as good as mine, obviously, but a nice try.  :legit:

:-[  :tup:

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 674873/4024 Hinfrance Last post January 21, 2021, 08:09:09 AM
xx POLL - -WOOD / WOODEN International Weekly Comp Entries 75/0 jinky Last post January 19, 2021, 08:31:11 AM
xx WOOD /WOODEN CHAT 10-17th January 2021 International Weekly Comp Entries 204/4 Oldboy Last post January 19, 2021, 12:45:25 AM
xx WOOD /WOODEN ENTRIES 10-17th January 2021 International Weekly Comp Entries 163/4 Oldboy Last post January 19, 2021, 12:39:49 AM
xx CHAT-METAL MACRO-Weekly Comp 17-24/1/21 International Weekly Comp Entries 110/4 jinky Last post January 18, 2021, 10:07:42 AM
xx CHAT-PRODUCT SHOT-Weekly Comp 3/1-10/1/21 International Weekly Comp Entries 301/8 Jediboy Last post January 17, 2021, 02:06:14 PM
xx ENTRIES-METAL MACRO-Weekly Comp 17-24/1/21 International Weekly Comp Entries 43/0 Hinfrance Last post January 17, 2021, 08:57:09 AM
xx POLL for PRODUCT SHOT International Weekly Comp Entries 251/4 Jediboy Last post January 16, 2021, 07:08:40 PM