Poll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?

Author Topic: Canon 60D colours  (Read 1179 times)

Offline DigiDiva

Canon 60D colours
« on: August 27, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
I have been told (on another forum, not here) that my colours are often oversaturated, and that this is an issue with Canon 60D's. Does anyone else with a 60D have this problem?

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline StephenBatey

• "this demm panic" - Sir Percy Blakeney
    • stephenbatey/
Re: Canon 60D colours
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:48:31 AM »
I don't have a 60D (the only Canon camera I have is a Canon Dial half frame camera).

I assume that this is referring to jpgs, not processed raw files? My understanding is that camera makers generally feel obliged to produce oversaturated jpg files because that is how the consumer market - the most important one in sales terms - judges cameras. I read an interview in Professional Imagemaker some years (?) ago in which a pro commented on this, and said he'd asked the maker's rep about it. The answer was that people judged how good a camera was at taking pictures by what they saw on the back screen; and if they made the results accurate, they'd simply lose sales to the other makers. Hence, they set the cameras to produce the results wanted.

You see the same thing all over the photographic market place. It annoys me intensely ever time I read a printer review and the magazine states that they made all the tests straight out of the box, rather than optimising anything because that's how most people use them. I'd rather know what it was capable of when set up properly. Rant over.

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
If you  are shooting raw then that is you.  I took a look for 60D having a problem with over saturation in jpeg but could not find one but I only looked quickly.  If shooting jpeg what picture style are you using?  Try another with lower saturation.   

Offline hssutton

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:02:34 PM »
Chris.

Stephen assumes you are shooting in Jpeg, I also assume the same. If you are in fact shooting in RAW then the problem rest with you, or possibly your monitor requires calibrating. Personally I would think it's your monitor that requires calibrating.

Refer to page 90 of your manual and check what Picture Style settings you have, I would suggest you use either Standard or Neutral. I've been using Canon DSLRs for the past 14 years and the only time I've experienced over-saturation is when I switch from raw to Jpeg for when my daughter uses one of my cameras. Initially I never checked the menu's when my daughter used my camera. Now I always make sure that the camera is set to 'Standard, as I noticed all my daughter photos were over cooked when Portrait or the Landscape settings were used.

Harry

As posted my reply I see Don had also contributed. It would appear both Don and myself are in complete agreement as to your problem

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:06:01 PM by hssutton »

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
Will look into this - sometimes (as I have mentioned before) my camera switches to jpeg from RAW after I have used a 'set programme'. This may be why. Will also check my picture style. Thanks guys....

It all started after I posted an image of a bird I wanted identified, when the 'oversaturation' caused an argument about the type of bird it was.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline hssutton

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »
Chris I've just been looking at the 60D manual and notice that you should also look at page 68 "Shoot by Ambience Selection" as the settings here will also play a major part to the end result. Far easier to set the camera to Raw only and then adjust in you editor.

Harry

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 40/0 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:57:50 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 121/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 124/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 204/4 jinky Last post September 21, 2020, 08:58:04 AM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 45/0 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 338/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 196/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM