DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?BIRDS-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp...

Author Topic: New Domain Names  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
  • Starting from the beginning again...
    • ndrewbrown
    • Andrew Brown's Photography
New Domain Names
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:01:58 PM »
OK, so I went ahead and registered one of those new domain names - because I'm sad, I'm vein and also because the extension was ideal for what I wanted it for - photography.
I'm not a company, I'm not a .co, an organisation (my organisational skills are appalling) nor am I a government department or a police force.

I registered www.andrewbrown.photography and thought ok, now I can play at developing this at my leisure. (I'm starting to update my knowledge of how things have moved on from HTML 3)

But I now have another issue - not all of the browsers can work with these new domain extensions. I'm fairly up with how the internet works and fail to see how these domains can be authorised by ICANN and made available to register if no one can access them...

Strikes me as a case of putting the cart before the horse.

1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Re: New Domain Names
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »
Works in Chrome on my MacBook :)

I already have two domains, and they cost enough for what is a hobby, though a photography one would be cool :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 07:38:36 PM »
You did not say which browsers will not work.  I am sure the latest versions of all will work.  Older versions of IE probably will not, but time to dump XP anyway (only 14+ years old now).  I just tried on Chrome and Safari and it works.  No others installed at the moment. 

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
    • ndrewbrown
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »
Sorry, I'm finding it is those versions used by portable devices such as smartphones, tablets and similar.

My wifes MB Pro seems ok with, as does my daughters Win Laptop.

Given so many of us use these devices so much now - it seems quite an issue, esecially as i suspect .photography will be a popular one all around the world  :tup:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:21:08 AM »
I just tried it on an Android tablet and an iPhone.  Both worked. 

Offline WillyP

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 01:23:59 AM »
Works fine in Firefox.

Here is a site that simulates the devices that you can use to test your new site in: http://www.responsinator.com/

And another: http://mobiletest.me/

And finally, since speed is such an important issue, not just for mobile devices, but particularly for mobile devices: http://gtmetrix.com/

New TLDs (Top Level Domains) are a lot like other new tech things: cassettes vs records vs cd's or dvd vs tape vs blue-ray or x-box vs ps2 vs nintendo... There has to be some point where if there's no media available for it, no one will build a player for it, but without the player, who would buy the media?

I would recommend buying several domains/ TLDs, and redirecting them all to the one that hits your target audience the best, ie, .net, .com and /or maybe .uk, whatever works on all devices.

It won't be long before those devises recognizes the new TLDs.

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
    • ndrewbrown
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
Maybe I'm just expecting too much.

Given that these domain extensions have been on the cards for ages - I would have expected every ones name servers and web sites to be 'gTLD ready'
I allowed the 24 hours before full testing, to allow for the domain names to be updated right across the system.

Bit like the old Y2K thing...

Thanks for the links to useful test facilities. Will bookmark them for future reference.

Here's an interesting one - Twitter will not accept the new domain in its preferences thing where you put your domain name. Rather poor of Twitter if you ask me  >:(
Given they have been at the portal of many discussions and communications over this subject!

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »
DNS servers looking them up could be a problem.  You can use the OpenDNS or Google servers or use some of the oldest DNS servers (but updated) : 4.2.2.1 through .6 

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 103/3 jinky Last post Today at 09:19:34 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 73/1 jinky Last post Today at 09:17:58 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 68/3 jinky Last post Today at 09:16:09 AM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 165/4 jinky Last post Today at 08:58:04 AM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 35/0 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 316/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 185/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM
xx CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 108/1 jinky Last post September 14, 2020, 02:01:31 PM