POLL - FruitOutdoors - CHAT thread - ...Outdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?BIRDS-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp...

Author Topic: Photography b*ll*cks.  (Read 4118 times)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: Photography b*ll*cks.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »
You have me thinking..........

That's always good, keeps the brain ticking over.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
All you need to do is look at the romantic poets like Keats, Shelley or Byron.  :tup:

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 11:03:01 PM »
An impressionistic view of a group of Edwardian ladies giving credence to the fact that if you sqint hard enough you can see anything, a bit like looking at clouds or gazing into the fire!  ::)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:03:45 PM by ABERS »

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »
An impressionistic view of a group of Edwardian ladies giving credence to the fact that if you sqint hard enough you can see anything, a bit like looking at clouds or gazing into the fire!  ::)

I take your word for it. If I squint hard, I don't see anything, as I close the bits of my eyes I can actually see with!

Offline Markulous

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 06:50:11 PM »
Here's a shot I took yesterday which has the very arty title:
"Usain spots a blade of grass he missed pi$$ing on when he first went up the track"
(his name is Bolt, our 12 month old foster dog - it was his first scooter session and whilst he'll be great, eventually, like a child he needs a little more practice!)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
  • Starting from the beginning again...
    • ndrewbrown
    • Andrew Brown's Photography
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 07:18:46 PM »
The arty, flowery and superfluous descriptions some photographers give their shots, to explain what they try to express, have been mentioned here regularly.

I want to have a go at it too, but I will have to learn it, as I tend to weed out superfluous words, and was taught to be careful with the use of adjectives.

Can anyone give me a few links to (photography/art) sites where I can indulge myself?

I specifically want to have an arty description for my 'And then there was light' shot. If anyone wants to have a go at that, feel free!

You'll have to make it up, as it was originally just a shot of an interesting sky, and I did not want to 'express' anything in particular.
I played around with it, to see what I could 'get.' So it is more an expression of my 'creativity,' than an urge to express 'something.'

I want, however, a description that will give it that air of importance and sublime creativity (am I learning already?): in short, a description, that tells everyone this is a major work of art!

ok - my take as follows:
Highs and Lows of Weather Patterns demonstrating the Facets of Decision Making  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: (think i need some after that!)
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 08:59:29 PM »
The arty, flowery and superfluous descriptions some photographers give their shots, to explain what they try to express, have been mentioned here regularly.

I want to have a go at it too, but I will have to learn it, as I tend to weed out superfluous words, and was taught to be careful with the use of adjectives.

Can anyone give me a few links to (photography/art) sites where I can indulge myself?

I specifically want to have an arty description for my 'And then there was light' shot. If anyone wants to have a go at that, feel free!

You'll have to make it up, as it was originally just a shot of an interesting sky, and I did not want to 'express' anything in particular.
I played around with it, to see what I could 'get.' So it is more an expression of my 'creativity,' than an urge to express 'something.'

I want, however, a description that will give it that air of importance and sublime creativity (am I learning already?): in short, a description, that tells everyone this is a major work of art!

ok - my take as follows:
Highs and Lows of Weather Patterns demonstrating the Facets of Decision Making  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: (think i need some after that!)

Clever, but I always have the impression, you cannot use just a few words, or a few lines. It has to be long and totally opaque to the 'simple' public. There's a special language out there, used by critics and arty persons to describe art in such a way everyone knows it is high art. So high they don't have a clue what it's all about. Or is that just my simple minded impression?

I think I'll join you now and have a beer too.  :beer:

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
  • Starting from the beginning again...
    • ndrewbrown
    • Andrew Brown's Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 09:18:58 PM »
You could well be right - cos I wouldn't know 'high art' if it slapped me across the face like a wet kipper.

To me, 'high art' is something that requires me to look up to see  ;D
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 11:14:30 PM »

You kneel before high art while some arty type erupts with verbal flatulence's on the Utopian visualization of visceral embraced mentalism materialistic, aspects of matricide in the song of Mavis.  ???

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 08:04:35 AM »

You kneel before high art while some arty type erupts with verbal flatulence's on the Utopian visualization of visceral embraced mentalism materialistic, aspects of matricide in the song of Mavis.  ???

OB! That's great!

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »

OB! That's great!

:2funny: :2funny:

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 10:38:39 AM »

OB! That's great!

That tiny, angry duck skull, must house a gigantic nonsensical brain!

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 06:00:27 PM »

OB! That's great!

A slight inclination of the cranium is as adequate as a spasmodic movement of one optic towards an equinine quadruped utterly devoid of any visionary capacity.   :tup:

Offline Graham

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 06:27:28 PM »

OB! That's great!

A slight inclination of the cranium is as adequate as a spasmodic movement of one optic towards an equinine quadruped utterly devoid of any visionary capacity.   :tup:

Had to work that one out!  :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 06:57:34 PM »

OB! That's great!

Had to work that one out!  :tup:

Simple.  :D

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 145/3 Oldboy Last post Today at 05:55:03 PM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 28/1 Oldboy Last post Today at 05:50:31 PM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 28/0 Jediboy Last post Today at 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 305/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 182/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM
xx CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 104/1 jinky Last post September 14, 2020, 02:01:31 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 91/2 jinky Last post September 14, 2020, 01:59:32 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 63/0 jinky Last post September 13, 2020, 09:38:48 AM