Poll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 5309 times)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Re: Hello
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 04:06:03 PM »
OK, I'll pitch in, why not?

For me photography is a bit of (sometimes frustrating) fun. I muck about with ideas and have a punt at the weekly challenges most of the time just to see if I can come up with something. Most of the pictures I take (not make, sorry but using that word to describe creating an image seems to me to be a tad precious) are for my own enjoyment, and lots of those are simple family record shots. I do not compartmentalise taking pictures. They're all for the joy of it. The explosion of digital photography has been a boon to the storage of precious memories for most of humanity. Agreed most of the resulting images are not technically great, but they capture the moment and that is what they are for.

Arty photography is, of course, a worthy, sometimes inspirational, and often emotional thing. But it is incredibly arrogant to judge the images others take on the basis that they are not gallery material. Who, quite frankly, cares? Certainly not the people who take the pictures. Exif data is sometimes nice to know, in case someone looking in wants to have a stab at taking a similar style of picture, as are details about how editing might have been done. I either do very little editing or lots, the latter just to see what will happen. But mostly I play my guitar.

There are undoubtedly photography trolls about the place who delight in sneering at the internet publications of others. That's just the way it is unfortunately.

So what am I saying? In a nutshell, the content of a picture is what makes it. If it's stonkingly brilliant technically then more power to it, but that is so secondary. The only role equipment has to play is as Oldboy says is simply if the kit enables you get the picture that some other kit might not.

I do like go ogle, that's special :)

BTW, flickr's member search function is case sensitive, but that doesn't matter because it's not working anyway. Just typed my Flickr moniker into the search box and it came up with only 4 pictures, and two of those weren't mine.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:09:54 PM by Hinfrance »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 07:42:29 AM »
Let’s make a few assumptions, not always a wise path to take, what's the saying 'assume' makes an ass of you and me! :uglystupid2: but nevertheless here goes.

Nobody takes and publishes their pictures unless they are satisfied and pleased with them, why would they? This discounts those that ask for help with something that they can’t quite ‘get right’.

Everyone enjoys their chosen hobby and is striving to and acknowledges that they can become better at it.

Each photographer has a bent towards a certain genre and is influenced to some extent by what they see either published, displayed in galleries or on various forums and web sites. This however doesn’t make each one unique.

Commenting on pictures is an art in itself and should only be undertaken if a picture really grabs you visually or emotionally, and if possible say why that is the case. If it doesn't say nowt.

A little photographic knowledge is a dangerous thing, a lot of photographic knowledge can be worse if conveyed in certain manner.

Lots and lots of pictures impress no one. No pictures also impresses no one.

Most photographers are like Sunday morning footballers. Out in their thousands, all dreaming they are Beckham or Messi for 90 minutes or so, some hoping against hope that they'll get discovered but mostly enjoying themselves.

Just a few thoughts whilst drinking my early morning cuppa!  ;)

Offline spinner

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 03:55:16 PM »
"Commenting on pictures is an art in itself and should only be undertaken if a picture really grabs you visually or emotionally, and if possible say why that is the case. If it doesn't say nowt."

Hence the reason I comment little. Somehow makes me feel like a pretentious prat.  :-[
I am well aware that my default setting is Snidley Scathing (hmm a new user name) and
I fight hard to overcome it.  :-X
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Paul Montgomery

• My photography website
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 06:52:04 PM »
Hi Stephen,
Did you completely close your photo-answers account? And if so, how - I can't figure out how to do it - I've got bored with that site now...
Paul

Offline StephenBatey

• "this demm panic" - Sir Percy Blakeney
    • stephenbatey/
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »
I just left a goodbye post (I was a moderator, so people had to know that I wouldn't be replying to (or looking at) PMs, altered my sigature to name the person who drove me off, and told admin they had to find a new moderator.

You can delete all your own posts if you so wish (unless you started a thread and people replied to it - you used to be able to do it even then but it was one of the few software bugs that they fixed). There is no mechanism at all in the forum software to globally remove all posts by a member - which is why whenever a far eastern spammer posts 60-80 posts they have to be removed individually. With the software automatically taking you back to the first post in the thread (no matter how many pages back) whenever you do.

Sorry - moan over. Just delete what you want and walk away.

Unless you want a chat room. It's very good for that, just avoid photography and you won't fall foul of anyone.

Offline Paul Montgomery

• My photography website
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
Thanks for that.
You're right, not much photography related chat on there - I think I'll just ignore it.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:57:50 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 191/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 126/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 129/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 208/4 jinky Last post September 21, 2020, 08:58:04 AM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 342/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 199/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM