End of an EraPoll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDS

Author Topic: Dandilions are Flowers too.  (Read 900 times)

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
Dandilions are Flowers too.
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:17:58 PM »
The alsmost incessant rain has recently started to feel warmer, and a couple of days ago we had a dry one - and suddenly the garden was full of blooms - dandilions. Under the thumb of SWMBO I spent a morning digging them all up, and half way through wished I had photographed them first. However, it wasn't just our garden - the whole village is innundated with them. I took a few shots.

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: Dandilions are Flowers too.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
The alsmost incessant rain has recently started to feel warmer, and a couple of days ago we had a dry one - and suddenly the garden was full of blooms - dandilions. Under the thumb of SWMBO I spent a morning digging them all up, and half way through wished I had photographed them first. However, it wasn't just our garden - the whole village is innundated with them. I took a few shots.

Dandelions are very much underrated as flowers. They are beautiful!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
I have a friend who deals with dandelions by telling her children that they are such pretty flowers that they need to collect as many as the can to please mummy. And the more that they collect the happier mummy will be . .

Meanwhile my neighbour positively encourages them. He uses the early leaves in salads.

So they are not only very attractive, but also nutritious :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »
I have a friend who deals with dandelions by telling her children that they are such pretty flowers that they need to collect as many as the can to please mummy. And the more that they collect the happier mummy will be . .

Meanwhile my neighbour positively encourages them. He uses the early leaves in salads.

So they are not only very attractive, but also nutritious :)

Are you sure it isn't wine rather than salad?  :P :legit:

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »
Round here OB we use grapes to make wine  8)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »
Round here OB we use grapes to make wine  8)

Being English, you must know that in this country, people make do. Or, make wine with anything that comes to hand. It was a total revelation to me when I first lived here, that people made wine. Unheard of in Holland.

Mind you, I had a friend, a chemical engineer, who made liqueurs of a strength that made your hair stand on end. Very tasty and very iillegal!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 06:24:12 AM »
I knew a chap who had a still in his garden shed when I lived in Gloucestershire. He called the product vino collapso. It did what it said on the glass jar  :o
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
sad End of an Era General Discussion 3/0 anglefire Last post Today at 05:39:39 PM
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 150/4 Oldboy Last post Today at 05:38:07 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 201/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 130/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 133/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 213/4 jinky Last post September 21, 2020, 08:58:04 AM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 48/0 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 346/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM