POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Too much Photoshopping bad?  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Oldboy

Offline loveclose

• CC Regular visitor
Re: Too much Photoshopping bad?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 12:57:10 AM »
Very interesting indeed.

To my way of thinking, they've gone wrong at least once....

Did they specify that images could or could not be 'photoshopped'??  If they didn't, then they've been quite wrong to 'disqualify'.

If they did specify that images could be ps'd, then again it's enormously subjective to state how far too much ps actually is. 

They will need to be very specific next year about editing procedures.  If they permit editing, I can't see how they can prescribe the level of editing allowed.

If no editing is permitted, well at least they should say so......
The meek shall inherit the earth - if that's ok with everyone else.....

Offline jinky

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 07:05:41 AM »
They must have changed their rules if they allow no editing. First and only time I submitted an entry to a paid for entries competition here a few years back. I submitted a heavily edited infra red landscape shot which was commended /shortlisted without comment.  Hope they returned his fee too and explained where their rules said it was inappropriate or I`d be atking action with a 10K prize!

Offline Graham

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 07:27:39 AM »
 The article dosen't say what editing was done that caused the offence, so who's to say?  :-X
 The pic is still credited to " The landscape photographer of the year" though ???
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 08:36:32 AM »
What a load of tosh. It seems the judges deemed it a 'winner', but apparently, in this instance, the judges' word is not final, but who's is? :-\

Puts a whole new slant on the use of PS to arrive at what you want in an image and raises the perennial old chestnut of straight out of the camera or manipulation to make something worth a second glance.

I expect he hadn't been on one of Charlie Waites' courses.  ::)

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »
I agree that "too much" photoshop can spoil a photo - that's what makes it too much. But in this case (to my own eyes) it looks like a perfectly good record of the scene as the photographer saw it. There might be a great deal of photoshopping but I don't think is is "too much".
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 09:09:01 AM »
I can't see anything wrong with the picture either.

Would be nice to know what has been done to it, that is considered 'too much.' And who knew about it, and pointed it out afterwards.

Maybe the boats were photographed in a totally different place, and dropped on the beach later? It would make a 'manmade' landscape. Or too much editing, to dramatise the light? Would that detract from the end result?

Can of worms!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:11:51 AM by Reinardina »

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »
As Reinardina suggests, it would be nice to know more information. At first glance it is a nice composition (although the image as published is rather small in regards to looking at the finer details). I sometimes think these 'disqualifications' might be arranged towards a marketing exercise for these sort of competitions.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline loveclose

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:02:53 AM »
Straight out of the cam, or image editing?  How many pics here are posted without any editing?  I always used to favour the shot that was straight out of the cam, but over the years have had to accept that editing certainly has its place, and is a real art form.  Folks have been arguing this one for quite a while now....!!

Having looked at the pic again this morning, I wonder, artistically, if too much editing has been done??...  Not from any standpoint that the pic deserved to be disqualified, because I don't believe it should have been, and I totally agree with an earlier comment made concerning the judges 'final decision' where the pic was awarded the accolade, then it wasn't.....

The picture has a lovely moody atmosphere.  Light levels are beautifully atmospheric.  But with the mood generated, are the shadows of the two boats a little too heavy??  Very very dark shadows generated by the projected light levels of the pic??  Not saying it's a reason for disqualification, but those shadows to me look a little overdone.  I expect I'm wrong....!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:05:31 AM by loveclose »

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 11:34:50 AM »
I wonder what they would have said if a film camera had been used and too much dodging and burning had been used in the process?
Nick

Offline Graham

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »
I wonder what they would have said if a film camera had been used and too much dodging and burning had been used in the process?
Nick

Pretty much what Nick says.
 I'm from a "Wet" darkroom background and my editing tends to be carried out along those principles, not because I think that that's the correct way, but because it's the way    I'm familiar with.
 I can't think of one occasion when I've put the neg in the enlarger, made one straight exposure, developed it and left it at that.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »
Loveclose mentioned "Straight out of the cam". But lots of cameras now do in-camera editing, and of course you can always set cameras to give vivid colours or monochrome and sometimes sepia etc. Or even choose special effects filters at the moment of taking. Is it even possible to have a completely unedited photo?
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline loveclose

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »
Loveclose mentioned "Straight out of the cam". But lots of cameras now do in-camera editing, and of course you can always set cameras to give vivid colours or monochrome and sometimes sepia etc. Or even choose special effects filters at the moment of taking. Is it even possible to have a completely unedited photo?

Possibly not to the level implied by this comp photo, but you definitely have a point!!  I guess it's evolved gradually over time.  It started from having the ability to see the results of your shots instantly.  Delete, make adjustments, shoot again....it's now evolved so much that cams have, as you rightly say, all the tools built in to help the user.  And built in editing pre or post is most definitely there....

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
Nick

Pretty much what Nick says.
 I'm from a "Wet" darkroom background and my editing tends to be carried out along those principles, not because I think that that's the correct way, but because it's the way    I'm familiar with.
 I can't think of one occasion when I've put the neg in the enlarger, made one straight exposure, developed it and left it at that.

That's my photographic background.

I view the camera as a means to an end, to take an image that I know can be worked on to produce a finished article, in the old days, in the darkroom, today, with Lightroom (infinitely less fun). All the possibilities offered by today's cameras are for those that cannot or are not willing to put in the effort to arrive at a picture that has that certain personal stamp on it.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 11:44:39 PM »
All the possibilities offered by today's cameras are for those that cannot or are not willing to put in the effort to arrive at a picture that has that certain personal stamp on it.

Sorry, but don't agree with that statement. Many would think that very condescending and suggesting that ones style can only be created by not using all the facilities a camera offers.  ???

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 124/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 175/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 225/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 64/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 272/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM