POLL - TemperatureWeekly Comp - TEMPERATURE...POLL for BOKEHUNUSUAL PERSPECTIVE - Ent...UNUSUAL PERPECTIVE - Chat...CHAT-BOKEH-Weekly Comp 24...ENTRIES-BOKEH-Weekly Comp...Low Light - POLLWeekly comp- TEMPERATURE ...Low Ligt - Weekly Comp CH...LOW LIGHT - Weekly comp E...POLL for BEATLES SONGPoll - Selective ColourCHAT-BEATLES SONG TITLE-W...ENTRIES-BEATLES SONG TITL...Selective Colour / Colour...

Author Topic: what do you think of these three ?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
what do you think of these three ?
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
Hi !
I took this photo of my friend's dog Jack this afternoon. 
I hit the wrong button when converting and desaturated the colours, thought it wasn't bad and then when the whole hog into b+w. What do you think of the three versions ?
Any general critique would be really appreaciated.

Oh, and how do I make the images clickable to link the gallery and the larger image ?

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline oRGie

Re: what do you think of these three ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:08:35 PM »
Hi,

Nice dog :)

I think the black and white lacks contrast, if it was shot in b+w I would say a bit overexposed, the de-saturated version is ok, but the normal colour shot looks best. I assume you were going for a dog takng a sneaky look or hiding sort of thing, but the logs are so sharp they distract from the dog. maybe a bit of post editing, add some blur to the logs would bring out the dogs face more and give the shot more impact.

:legit:

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 08:15:59 PM »
Thanks oRGie - as ever it was a quick shot - I thought he looked cute looking out from behing the logs. I see what you mean though aout the sharpness.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline Chris P

• pSquared Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:04:36 AM »
I like the partially desaturated shot.  I think this technique works well but I also think it works best in a shot with loads of colour and there isn't really enough for it to be entirely successful.  I'd do a curves adjustment to add a little more contrast on both shots and see if that helps.

Offline Eileen

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:37:21 AM »
I agree with Chris. I like the middle version but think it could do with a little more punch (and maybe just a touch more colour - can you reduce the effect a little?).

Offline greypoint

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 12:36:25 PM »
I actually prefer the top one but it needs a bit of tweaking somehow or me - I tend to work on the try things and see basis so have no idea what I'd do! I think I'd crop a tad off the top -but again that's just what I'd do :D

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Temperature International Weekly Comp Entries 54/0 Jediboy Last post December 10, 2019, 05:38:47 PM
xx Weekly Comp - TEMPERATURE - Entry Thread International Weekly Comp Entries 168/3 Oldboy Last post December 10, 2019, 12:09:03 AM
xx POLL for BOKEH International Weekly Comp Entries 187/3 Hinfrance Last post December 09, 2019, 08:04:20 AM
xx UNUSUAL PERSPECTIVE - Entry thread, Weekly comp International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Jediboy Last post December 07, 2019, 07:12:46 PM
xx UNUSUAL PERPECTIVE - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 Jediboy Last post December 07, 2019, 07:10:28 PM
xx CHAT-BOKEH-Weekly Comp 24/11-1/12/2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 234/2 jinky Last post December 04, 2019, 08:25:08 AM
xx ENTRIES-BOKEH-Weekly Comp 24/11-1/12/2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 279/4 Oldboy Last post December 02, 2019, 11:20:19 PM
xx Low Light - POLL International Weekly Comp Entries 314/4 Hinfrance Last post December 01, 2019, 07:31:24 AM