Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?BIRDS-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp...

Author Topic: Image of the week 1st July 2012  (Read 3098 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Re: Image of the week 1st July 2012
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »
Alright I'm ready for some Flak.

IOTW, does it really matter? Who has really missed it over the past weeks? Why keep something that only obviously attracts the attention of a relatively few members.

The weekly comp only gets half a dozen or so entries each week. I know it is a source of inspiration for some to get their thinking caps on and experiment with their photography, but if you are to choose an IOTW from competition entries you are confining the choice to a relatively few images. The gallery these days seem to consist mainly of competition entries anyway.

This can be the thin end of the wedge for members not continuing to be active and post on to the site, or even visit and miss out on all the info and banter that, for me, is the site's strength.

That's my two pennyworth.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »
No flak, but I miss seeing a large image of some merit on the opening home page!

Having a determination to improve my photography and hone my skills, IOTW provides a platform to aspire too. So I am pleased when a shot of mine is chosen; and indeed I miss IOTW, as the images are of others work that usually express and display a high standard in photographical skill and post processing abilities to encourage and inspire.

I think the suggestion is not to limit choice choosing from the weekly comp' but if an image in a comp is worthy of IOTW then let it be selected.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:41:03 AM by beauxreflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline jinky

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »
I am one of the ones guilty of not uploading many images. I play in the weekend comp from time to time but must admit pop in mainly for the advice / expertise. I suppose if I was to be encouraged to be more interested in the IOTW it would be if it was really the image of that week and I might even be encouraged to submit my best image of the week to see how it fared. Daft to limit any aspect of selection to the comp winner for as Alan says it is usually such a small field. I think as it was selection wise with the image to be taken in previous week to count would be the best for me making the winning image topical and current.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 10:44:39 AM »
I don't think anyone suggested limiting selection of IOTW to weekly comp winner. But if the current IOTW bod fails to choose Mick has to find an image or not bother  :(  and as his time is a premium such ease to select the next IOTW would seem to me a sensible thing.

:legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
OK, just a small update. 

I've got one of my coder friends working on a IOTW submit system, so the moderating team should be able to post the IOTW by filling out a couple of lines of text, and submitting it.  Should make things easier, especially as I'm not always around when needed.

Testing it atm, I'll keep you posted.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 09:29:26 PM »

Testing it atm, I'll keep you posted.  ;)

OK, Brad aka IchBin made a great job of coding this for us, the IOTW submit system is now in place on here, so all I need is the Global mod team to test it for me.  ;)
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 56/2 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 07:54:55 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 154/3 Oldboy Last post September 20, 2020, 05:55:03 PM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 31/0 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 310/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 182/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM
xx CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 105/1 jinky Last post September 14, 2020, 02:01:31 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 94/2 jinky Last post September 14, 2020, 01:59:32 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 jinky Last post September 13, 2020, 09:38:48 AM