Drone 1Dx Mk3Happiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...POLL-LOUDWhat made you feel good t...Potato - CHAT 27/06-5/07/...Potato - ENTRIES 27/06-5...LOUD-CHAT-Weekly comp 21-...LOUD-ENTRIES-Weekly comp ...Poll for Drawn from Liter...What annoyed you today?Drawn from Literature - E...Drawn from Literature - C...Flash Player EOL and the ...POLL-SPOON

Author Topic: Some Garden Shots  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Re: Some Garden Shots
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »
I think your garden shots are fine.

For my analogy, imagine you are a wildlife photographer. How much use is a camera phone going to be? I venture to suggest it would just be baggage.

I'm glad that there are people offering substantial discounts on these things, because they don't seem very good value to me at half the list price, but that I accept is a matter of personal preference.

It's not the speed of the underlying device where I have issues with a touch screen interface. In order to use such a device you have to either hold it in one hand or prop it up on something. In either case your ability to enter instructions is limited. A finger is, also (and especially with my spatulated bass player fingers) not a very precise pointing instrument. Capacitive screens are also a complete pain if you have 'magic fingers', which seem to run in our family, and because you cannot use a stylus, unlike with a resistive screen. Of course almost all devices these days have capacitive screens because they are 'better'.

When I try to use my Android 'phone, or a friend's iPad I find it almost impossible to navigate around the screen. The moment I touch the screen in an attempt to scroll this way or that whatever my finger happens upon is activated before I can finish a navigation gesture, 9 times out of 10.

The only good thing about the tablet my daughter has just acquired is that it has a 16:9 screen and is therefore OK for watching films on if there is nothing else about the place to enjoy that sort of thing. ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Cathus

• http://blog.glnphotography.com
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 11:01:46 AM »
You can use a stylus on the iPhone and iPad.

There is a neat app which I use to create model releases, it then emails a PDF copy to the model and photographer, we both sign the release using a stylus.
Using it is a matter of personal preference & getting used to it, I'm 6'3" 18stone with hands and fingers to match those proportions and I don' have any problems. If you like you can have a split keyboard and use both hands to text, like my kids do on their normal phones.

I'm not saying a camera phone will replace my DSLR, merely that it can take some very good shots and despite Markulous' comments, can surprise even very good photographers. He seems to be the only one describing the above shots as very poor.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:29:46 PM by Cathus »

Offline Graham

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »
         I don't really care what kind of camera a pic is taken on, be it a 10/8 plate camera or a shoe box with a bit of photo paper and a pin hole.
         If you know that whatever you are useing degrades towards the edge, or has any other characteristics, then use them to your advantage. Which is what I think Gary has done here.
         I supose the best answer to "What's the best camera?" is "The one you've got with you!" and I'm sure more folks will be found to have an *iphone in there pocket than any other picture taking device.
                    Graham. :)

* Other mobile devices are available.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Cathus

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
It's all a process of development.

When digital came out I thought it would take me a very long time to switch over as I couldn't forsee a time when digital would equal film quality (there are some who say it still hasn't). While other people were well into digital, I was still shooting film and very happy with it.

Then I got a 1.2mp digital camera, the quality wasn't the best, but I started to enjoy using it, then I saved up for a Canon 10D, by the time I had the money the 20D was out, I've upgraded since.

Whilst I have some really fine camera gear, I've started to realise over the last year or so that it's not actually the gear that I enjoy using, though I do, it's the taking of photographs that really keeps me involved in this game.

Last year I bought a compact camera, nothing fantastic or expensive, but one that I can wear on my belt all the time, just in case. I don't use it every day, but it's with me 70% of the time. I certainly can't have a big DSLR and a 600mm lens within grabbing distance all the time.

I started seeing people having fun taking pics with camera phones and started using mine more, then I explored it a bit more and ended up upgrading my phone because of it. Now I take photos every day on it. My eyes are open wherever I go to photographic opportunities, you look at the world in a different way.
I reckon I will end up a better photographer because I'm doing that rather than getting my latest DSLR and L series lens one a month and taking what you might think are technically perfect, high quality photographs.

Last autumn I started taking photos on film again. Just a couple of days ago I got a film back taken on a 1950s Coronet Captain box camera. Some people would have a field day slagging those off for quality, but they are what they are and they are just a small section of this whole wide world that is photography.

But that's my photographic journey, yours will be different, and good for you.

The reason I posted these photos was to show people who might not know that camera phones don't just have to be really grainy, underexposed shots of drunkeness at night. I merely mention the iPhone as that is what I have experience of. I have no doubt that other phones have cameras well capable of good photography, and also that as technology moves on, they will only get better and better.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:29:25 PM by Cathus »

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »
Couldn't agree more.

I too have a compact camera with me most of the time; the camera on my cheap 'phone really is dreadful. I'm off around to a friend's place this afternoon - I'll take a few shots and upload them so we can all have a laugh  ;D*

*If I can work out how to get them off of the 'phone - as you may have guessed I don't use it very much.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Graham

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 02:36:52 PM »
   If anybody want's me, I'll be in the shed...Back in a mo'.
               Graham.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Graham

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 03:17:22 PM »
  Righty ho. Where were we?
  Ah yes.....There you go!....What's wrong with that then? :knuppel2:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 03:46:26 PM »
You left the top of the nail sticking out. Could have someone's eye out with that . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Graham

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
You left the top of the nail sticking out. Could have someone's eye out with that . .

It's a work in progress!

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.
                      Graham. :)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Cathus

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 04:55:44 PM »
I wonder how far off it is before DSLRs take on some of the functionality of mobile phones as mobile phones take on the functions of cameras. We're already moving onto video convergence, wifi/remote transmission of files, basic editing.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »
I wonder how far off it is before DSLRs take on some of the functionality of mobile phones as mobile phones take on the functions of cameras. We're already moving onto video convergence, wifi/remote transmission of files, basic editing.

So the tog, seemingly taking a shaky picture of their own ear or listening for a rattle in the lens; is actually taking some gripe from the mother-in-law   :2funny:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Graham

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 06:37:35 PM »
  I did wonder a while back how long it will be for cameras aimed at the press bods (D3s and the like.) to be able to email jpegs direct from the camera.
  Cant be that dificult to combine the two technologies. ::)
                   Graham.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Finally figured out how to get the pictures from this afternoon off of my 'phone.

I've done curves and a bit of sharpening, but they are surprisingly not utterly awful, just mostly awful. Apologies for the subject matter ;)

I quite like the one with the dog in.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Markulous

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 09:05:13 AM »
  I did wonder a while back how long it will be for cameras aimed at the press bods (D3s and the like.) to be able to email jpegs direct from the camera.
  Cant be that dificult to combine the two technologies. ::)
                   Graham.

Well, there's always http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/eye-fi-wifi-memory/ - but realistically, there's these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664918-REG/Canon_4263B001_WFT_E4_IIA_Wireless_File.html
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Offline Markulous

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
I've always used whatever came to hand - better to get the shot than to lose out because of saving for a "good" bit of kit or reluctance to risk the dSLR. As a result, I've some enjoyable shots gained from using mobiles, compacts, M42 lenses, etc. But, when all's said and done, I might've got this mobile image in May 2008 (who says you can't get wildlife with a mobile?!!)........

........ but I think I know which camera I prefer to use (you can see the distortion in the edges in the above shot)

You can even do panos with a phone - this is in Cardiff in Sep 2007 (well, strictly speaking, Penarth - Cardiff Bay lock gates!). You need to stand on the precise spot (unmarked except for a small X on the ground) to get the paint lines to all align correctly but the mobile didn't have the wide enough angle, so took two shots

This is one of the earliest shots I took with the mobile (#17, to be precise!), of Kata Tjuta as we came in to land (on our Oz trip in March 2006) - camera was well packed away

But, more recently, I've used my mobile to get shots I couldn't with the dSLR, like this of Chatsworth 'Beyond Limits' sculpture in Sept 2009

And when we got our rescue dog 18 months ago and wanted to text a shot

So, as you can see, I'm very happy and prepared to use my phone to take shots and always have it in mind - but I'll still use my dSLR by preference as I know I'll get better results. Having said that, the new Nokia will certainly raise the bar and I certainly see phones going that way: high MP sensor which can be condensed to smaller MPs to give better quality (in much the same way as Bayer sensors work on most digital cameras). Certainly the examples look absolutely amazing!
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Drone General Discussion 210/12 Jediboy Last post July 05, 2020, 09:22:26 PM
xx 1Dx Mk3 DSLR Cameras 1354/21 anglefire Last post July 05, 2020, 07:40:11 PM
xx Happiness is.... Entry Thread 05/07/20 - 12/07/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 32/0 Jediboy Last post July 05, 2020, 02:13:42 PM
xx Happiness is.... Chat Thread 05/07/20 - 12/07/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 29/0 Jediboy Last post July 05, 2020, 02:12:34 PM
xx POLL-LOUD International Weekly Comp Entries 226/4 Hinfrance Last post July 05, 2020, 08:17:39 AM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 591772/3913 anglefire Last post July 03, 2020, 08:24:05 PM
xx Potato - CHAT 27/06-5/07/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 234/6 Oldboy Last post July 01, 2020, 11:52:16 AM
xx Potato - ENTRIES 27/06-5/07/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 72/1 jinky Last post June 30, 2020, 07:16:09 PM