MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT ...Macro/ Close Up PollMACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES...Photoshop subscriptionMACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for...MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY...POLL-FLORA MONOCHROMEPoll for GLASSGLASS - ENTRY thread - t...CHAT-FLORA MONOCHROME-Wee...ENTRIES-FLORA MONOCHROME-...1Dx Mk3GLASS chat thread - th...POLL DECONSTRUCTEDDeconstructed - ENTRIES 2...Deconstructed - CHAT 26th...

Author Topic: more street photography  (Read 2756 times)

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
Re: more street photography
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »
Of the thousands of contributors that post their pictures there they seem to be under the impression that because their picture has been taken in the street it automatically becomes 'Street Photography' when perhaps it should be urban landscape or candid photography.

It depends on what you mean by Street Photography?  ???

I doubt there is a definitive as every shot is a record of a moment in time, be it a wreck of a building, eyesore sky scraper or a litterbin being peed on by a dog; all may effectively display some element of human hand and document a social aspect of the time.  :tup:
You've put the cat amongst the pigeons mentioning social and document(ary) in a thread about street photography!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/social_documentary/discuss/72157602740519887/

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 10:40:21 PM »
I meant, social as being aspects of society - and without the (ary) bit   :-\ :2funny:, document as being a photographic record  :tup: :-[   :beer:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:41:58 PM by beauxreflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 08:22:21 AM »
We all seem to interpret things differently and subsequently it all becomes a bit of a mishmash. There is always the occasion where an image gets a bit blurry around the edges when trying to categorize it and perhaps it can fit into two or even three categories.

The Speakers' Corner project that I've been engaged in over many years, I regard as documentary, i.e. documenting the activities, the speakers and the spoken to, the changing emphasis on the subjects discussed etc. However you can easily slot any of the pictures into street and candid, if it so suits.

Documentary can then become confused with 'record',which I regard as the attempt to portray a subject for posterity. Buildings, statuary and perhaps even weddings ???

Does it really matter though? Perhaps the only time it matters is when or if you enter the picture in a competition which is specific in its class. The good old catchall section is Pictorial, so maybe we should all say that's where our photography sits. ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:24:28 AM by ABERS »

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 03:56:22 PM »
Talking of street photography.....

Here's a chap I know from the 'net.  http://nicholas-adams.tumblr.com/

Now and again he will just pack a small bag, jump on a plane and wander the streets somewhere.  Right now he's in Bangladesh posting pictures several times a day.

A couple of people have said to him "aw, I wish I could do that".  His reply is simple - "go do it".  If you wait for somebody to ask you to do it then you'll wait a long time.
It's Guest's round

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »
That's really encouraged me. I'll look out my bus pass and get the 411 to Southall and wander around the streets there!  ;)

picsfor

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »
Some good pics, but then i enjoy the street photography thing. I never really get into the aspect of categorisation.

I'm always impressed with how different people achieve the results they do.

Offline irv_b

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »
That's really encouraged me. I'll look out my bus pass and get the 411 to Southall and wander around the streets there!  ;)

;D ;D
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 07:43:37 AM »

Look forward to seeing that.  Glad to have inspired you.
It's Guest's round

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 97/6 Oldboy Last post Today at 12:16:45 AM
xx Macro/ Close Up Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 35/0 jinky Last post May 26, 2020, 03:44:30 PM
xx MACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES for weekly comp 17-24th May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 129/5 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:33 PM
xx Photoshop subscription General Discussion 629/23 Jediboy Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:16 PM
xx MACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for weekly comp 17-24/05/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 137/3 Jediboy Last post May 25, 2020, 06:29:24 PM
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 37/0 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 08:07:47 AM
xx POLL-FLORA MONOCHROME International Weekly Comp Entries 235/2 Beaux Reflets Last post May 23, 2020, 06:37:39 PM
xx Poll for GLASS International Weekly Comp Entries 213/5 Jediboy Last post May 23, 2020, 05:08:21 PM