Poll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?

Author Topic: Kirby Stephen  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Sandy

Kirby Stephen
« on: October 18, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »
Hi

On the 24th Iam going to stay with a friend in Kirby Stephen foe a week. We are planning on spending two days in the Lakes. Are there any suggestions of places of good views points that can be reached by car?

Sandy

skellum

Re: Kirby Stephen
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »
I can recommend a few spots but it all depends on where you are staying and how far you want to travel in a day

Offline Sandy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:41:14 AM »
Thanks Dave. Iam staying in Kirby Stephen but my friend as said we can spend two nights in the Lakes to cut down the driving and get a couple of early morning in the actual lakes. The rest of the time will be up to an hour or two drive from Kirby.

Sandy

skellum

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 10:42:37 AM »
Ok then as a suggestion I would stay in Keswick a nice little market town which is not over run by Japanese & American tourists unlike Bowness. Below are some car routes that should enable you to see quite a lot of the Lake District.

1.  Head for Windermere and take the ( A592 ) Kirkstone Pass Road, which will take you through Troutbeck and onto Kirksone Pass Summit. After the Summit ( about 1/4 mile ) there is a car park  on the left with a great view of the valley below looking towards Brothers Water. ( see below )
carry on down this road which will take you through Patterdale & Glen Ridding where Ullswater will be on your right. ( See below ) There are plenty of car parks & laybys in this area. After a Few miles take the ( A5091 ) on the left sign posted Keswick & Cockermouth. This road will join the A66 and take you straight to Keswick.

2.  From Keswick take the ( B5289 ) which will take you alongside Derwentwater on your right and on through Borrowdale and over the Honister Pass to Buttermere & Cummock Water  ( I would turn round at this point and return to Keswick ) or you could carry on to Cockermouth and return to Keswick on the A66 taking you past Bassenthwaite Lake on your left.

3.  From Keswick take the ( A591 ) which will take you past Thirlmere and Helvelyn and onto Grasmere, Rydal Water & Ambleside from where you will travel alongside Lake Windermere on your right to Bowness & Windermere. ( attached below ) Hope this is helpfull to you and I look forward to seeing your shots.  Regards, Dave... :legit: PS the phone box below is situated in Patterdale and you can park next to it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:01:41 PM by Dave »

Offline Graham

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
  Wow! What a reply! :tup:
                                          Makes me want to jump in the car and head for the hills.
                                          Have a great time Sandy.
                                                             Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline irv_b

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »
  Wow! What a reply! :tup:
                                          Makes me want to jump in the car and head for the hills.
                                          Have a great time Sandy.
                                                             Graham.
Hear Hear! cant see anyone getting a better  answer than that, for any topic- top stuff there Dave and have a fantastic time Sandy!
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline Sandy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »
Thanks very Dave thats very kind of you

Sandy

Offline Sandy

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »
Hi Dave

Writing this in a pub on the Yorkshire Cumbria border.

Went along your route yesterday but the weather was awful for good photos - really murky.

Got the AA Box and the box in Patterdale.

Thanks for the information, though - it was really appreciated

Sandy

skellum

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:26:51 PM »
Hi Dave

Writing this in a pub on the Yorkshire Cumbria border.

Went along your route yesterday but the weather was awful for good photos - really murky.

Got the AA Box and the box in Patterdale.

Thanks for the information, though - it was really appreciated

Sandy
Shame about the weather but if its still raining on your way back you could photograph the Preston Telephones.... :tup:

Offline Sandy

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 08:32:06 PM »
Hi Dave

The weather was suitable for waterfalls etc and I had a quick look as the train passed Preston and hope to return at a later date to catch the phoneboes in the rain.

Sandy

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 10/0 jinky Last post Today at 09:57:50 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 171/6 jinky Last post Today at 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 109/4 Oldboy Last post Today at 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 112/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 196/4 jinky Last post September 21, 2020, 08:58:04 AM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 39/0 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 327/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 188/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM