MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT ...Macro/ Close Up PollMACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES...Photoshop subscriptionMACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for...MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY...POLL-FLORA MONOCHROMEPoll for GLASSGLASS - ENTRY thread - t...CHAT-FLORA MONOCHROME-Wee...ENTRIES-FLORA MONOCHROME-...1Dx Mk3GLASS chat thread - th...POLL DECONSTRUCTEDDeconstructed - ENTRIES 2...Deconstructed - CHAT 26th...

Author Topic: Struggles,Doubts and things,,,,  (Read 6668 times)

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
Re: Struggles,Doubts and things,,,,
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 06:12:34 PM »
You know what I just realised this afternoon?  The better you get at photography the easier it is.

And I don't mean the easier it seems.  I mean the easier it actually is.

I've done some pretty tough shoots but mainly the challenges were to do with budget or because the clients weren't that into photography.  As I get better I get better jobs - and they are easier.

This afternoon I've been editing a fashion show for a magazine.  They sent me along to a catwalk show.  Really all I had to do was stand in roughly the right place, point the camera and try not to hit any of the other photographers.  "Editing" consists of untilting the ones that I messed up and changing the exposure slightly on a couple where I shot too early and the spotlight hadn't hit them.  Then burn to disk and mail to the mag.

I did a fashion catalogue shoot a few weeks ago where there were a total of 7 people all making sure that the stunning model looked perfect.  Really all I had to do was make sure the lights were pointing at her (actually I had somebody to handle that...) and press the button at the right time.  Weddings with a budget of £50K are considerably easier than those with a budget of £5K.

I'll bet shooting top level boxing at Maddison Square Gardens would be a doddle compared to the stuff you did.  And shooting Real Pink Floyd would make Australian Pink Floyd look very tough indeed.

If only you could run your career backwards.  Then you'd start on the easy stuff and only get to the hard stuff when you're ready.
It's Guest's round

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 07:22:46 PM »
Jonathan, I think that is just life isn't it?

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Eileen

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 08:12:51 PM »
Reminds me of an interview with the Spice Girls that I heard years ago. I recall them saying that before they were famous they had to work hard for everything they got: nothing came free. Once they were famous (and rich enough to buy what they wanted) people were falling over themselves to give them freebies, just so they'd be seen wearing or using them.

Bill: I think the noise from a D300 is quite grainy, like in films, and generally not the type of noise where you get false colours and blotching (though of course it depends on haw far you push the camera). I recall a lot of discussion on this characteristic when it first came out.

Offline Bigbill

• Gigstills
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 10:43:01 AM »
Hewwo from sultry Sheffy,,

Again thanks everyone,,i,m very reassured by all of the above,,,fact remains though i find the D80 noise easier to deal with,
maybe some of the eggheads at Adobe could invent a noise reduction algorithm that doesnt remove detail !!
Wise words Jonathan,,,wish i was working at MSG !!

Shine On

Offline krennon

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »
I'm giving serious consideration to doing my LRPS next year (won't have the membership fee until then) but purely for my own pleasure and satisfaction. When it comes to being a pro tog nope not for me 1/ I don't think I am good enough 2/ I enjoy it as a hobby too much. If I could do a similar thing to Eileen and get a few prints into craft fairs and things and flog those with any profit going towards new kit I would be a happy chappy.

As I said once before I am not the best photographer in the world (and never will be) My shots sometimes may not be "technically" correct, but if I've taken a shot and I like it, then surely that is all that really matters (of course it's nice if others like your work as well and compliment you on it.) 
But to all you pro's and budding pro's out there I wish you every success having watched my father work as a pro all his life I know what hard work it really is....maybe that's why it's not for me I watched him struggle at times to make enough to live on...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Hybridphotog

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »
The highest ISO camera is the Nikon D3s at 102,400 but will set you back about £3,500 or you could go for secondhand D3 at about £2,300. A new D700 would set you back about £1,779 or a secondhand one about £1,400. On a D3 the ISO can be increased upto 25,600 but it will show noise so I limit mine to 6,400. Hope that helps.  ;D
That's something I never really understood, and still don't; what's with most peoples (everyones?) fixation with speed? Everything has a noticeable limit... after that there's very few beneficial gains to be had.

I often use ISO1600 on my (apparently ancient) Canon 350D, due to my dislike of tripods. Thankfully, there's very little digital noise, which was a major criteria when I was in the market for buying a DSLR. That's really the only time I use any point of my cameras extremities though... the other 'default' settings are an aperture of f/4 to f/8. The camera chooses 1/4000th at times, as I rarely venture from aperture priority, and that's about it.

The industry needs to remember that there's such a thing as "happy medium". Cameras with ISO settings of 25,600... shutter speeds of 1/6400... "drive" speeds of 8fps... 16+MP sensors... for the average "Joe Public" photographer... nah... pointless.

I'll admit I'm thinking about shifting 'allegiances' though, and it's either to Epson (RD-1s), or Panasonic (DMC-Gwhatever). I'm hoping to land an RD-1s, and it's purely about handling. :)

picsfor

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »
That's something I never really understood, and still don't; what's with most peoples (everyones?) fixation with speed? Everything has a noticeable limit... after that there's very few beneficial gains to be had.
[/quote]
The fixation is not with speed - but with the ability to get the picture they can see.
No one is disputing your camera does a fine job (all of your cameras in fact) - but the fact is, it does not do the job that i (or others) require of a camera.
An awful lot of my shots are taken at low light, and whilst i have no issue using a tripod, the circumstances in which i take the pictures do not always make a tripod practical - so like you i'm hand holding.

The high iso options give me many more chances of getting that shot, and as good as your 1600 iso may be on your 350D, i can assure you the 6400 iso on my 5DmkII will match it and then some - no question about it.
Then, just to make me smile even more, it will give me a faster shutter speed meaning less likelihood of camera shake.

You may say i'm comparing a pro spec camera with an entry level camera - but this thread is about the challenges faced by professional photographers - people whose livings depend on 'getting that picture'.
They don't have a choice - they have to have what ever will do the job in the same way as you have to have transport to get you from Clacton to Brighton or Bolton or where to do your job...

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 98/6 Oldboy Last post Today at 12:16:45 AM
xx Macro/ Close Up Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 36/0 jinky Last post May 26, 2020, 03:44:30 PM
xx MACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES for weekly comp 17-24th May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 129/5 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:33 PM
xx Photoshop subscription General Discussion 629/23 Jediboy Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:16 PM
xx MACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for weekly comp 17-24/05/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 137/3 Jediboy Last post May 25, 2020, 06:29:24 PM
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 37/0 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 08:07:47 AM
xx POLL-FLORA MONOCHROME International Weekly Comp Entries 235/2 Beaux Reflets Last post May 23, 2020, 06:37:39 PM
xx Poll for GLASS International Weekly Comp Entries 213/5 Jediboy Last post May 23, 2020, 05:08:21 PM