POLL - FruitPOLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?BIRDS-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp...BIRDS-CHAT-Weekly Comp 16...What made you feel good t...

Author Topic: Meteorologists?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Graham

Meteorologists?
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »
  Can anyone out there explain the odd cloud effect in the right of this pic?
  We were on Kinder Scout which is large plateau of peat bog in the Peak District and it was very hot (still is!).

Graham.   :)

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

Re: Meteorologists?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:01:12 PM »
I'm going with a vapour trail of a passenger jet some time after it has flown on...

Offline Graham

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:05:52 PM »
  Hells teeth Andrew, that was quick!
  I thought that, it apears to have parted the sky to reveal the clouds beyond.
  I also have a pet theory about thermals rising of the peat. :-\
                Graham.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 01:06:11 PM »
Was the cloud pattern somewhat matching the top of the plateau? If so, then it'd result from hot dry air rising from the plateau and shoving the other (lower) clouds aside. I'm guessing that the clouds on the furthest right are at higher altitudes?.

Offline Graham

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »
  Jeez! Is'nt anyone at work today?
  Yes, that's kind of what I was thinking, it seemed so well defined as to be unnatural though.
  We met some Japanese chaps later on and they had also photographed it. (Great bunch of folks they were too.)
                            Graham. :)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Malcolm1938

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 02:22:37 PM »
I'm no expert but it looks like something to do with the jetstream to me.
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Offline Malcolm1938

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 07:50:43 AM »

This is from Google images - you can see why I think the jet stream may be involved - Google Jet Stream cloud formations to see other examples.

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Offline Graham

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 05:53:09 AM »
   Follow up:
                 On a whim last night at 10.30 I sent the picture to the Met Office. By 5.30 this morning I had this reply.

The formation is caused by a delicate process. The cloud is a thin sheet of Altocumulus at an estimated height of 18000 ft, and it was most likely, originally, one solid sheet of supercooled cloud droplets. Supercooled droplets are well below freezing (i.e. -10C to -18C) but remain in liquid form, unfrozen, usually because the air is so clean and ice has nothing to freeze onto (ie. like frost on a clean window selectively forms on scratches or dirt).

If a disturbance occurs within the cloud, such as a plane going through it (adding microscopic particles into the air), this can kick-start the process of freezing the particles. As they freeze, they form into small ice crystals or tiny snow-flakes, and then fall out of the atmosphere. The cloud is then no longer there. It then becomes a progressive process, as one ice crystal forms, it absorbs the moisture of the surrounding supercooled droptlets and dries the air out. The result is the cloud will slowly dissapear from the point at which the freezing process first started.

It can also be caused by descending air from aloft, drying out the cloud, and causing the droplets to evaporate.

This cloud formation is more popularly known as a "Hole-Punch cloud", which are widely photographed and on the internet.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 08:19:21 AM »
   Follow up:
                 On a whim last night at 10.30 I sent the picture to the Met Office. By 5.30 this morning I had this reply.

If a disturbance occurs within the cloud, such as a plane going through it (adding microscopic particles into the air), this can kick-start the process of freezing the particles. 
It can also be caused by descending air from aloft, drying out the cloud, and causing the droplets to evaporate.

This cloud formation is more popularly known as a "Hole-Punch cloud", which are widely photographed and on the internet.

oh well, i was partly right - a passenger did get a mention! Interesting explanation though - thanks for posting.

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 09:02:23 PM »

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 91/0 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:04:53 AM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 292/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 175/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM
xx CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 98/1 jinky Last post September 14, 2020, 02:01:31 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 87/2 jinky Last post September 14, 2020, 01:59:32 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 57/0 jinky Last post September 13, 2020, 09:38:48 AM
xx VEHICLES - CHAT thread weekly comp 29/08/2020 - 06/09/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 306/6 Jediboy Last post September 08, 2020, 01:03:24 PM
xx VEHICLES - ENTRY thread weekly comp 29/08/2020 - 06/09/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 241/4 Oldboy Last post September 07, 2020, 11:22:40 PM