Poll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?

Author Topic: 7D initial findings..  (Read 9971 times)

Offline oRGie

Re: 7D initial findings..
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2009, 12:45:30 PM »

but think how much you'll appreciate it when it arrives - and just right to get all those videos of people acting foolishly whilst they wait for you to say smile or cheese  ;) ::)

lol, great idea, add the benny hill theme, speed the frame rate up a bit and what a classic wedding video  :2funny:

Offline oRGie

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2009, 11:56:43 PM »
update on the grip :)  Been using version 2 for a couple of weeks and I am very happy with the idea, but version 2 isnt perfect, yet lol..  I made it shaped for comfort and once finished it is comfy in my hands, but it looks comical because the base isnt level. Soo I am going to make a version 3 thats got a level bottom and locators for a hand strap on the grip side and a locator for the main strap on the other end so I have the option of both attached or just the hand strap etc.. 

A couple fo thoughts, if canon made one of these, they could even have an extra 1 or 2 cf card slots, using the wifi locator/connector on the bottom, I thought of this reading lots of posts from people wanting a second slot for file safety. Canon could have user options to write to both at the same time or select which card to write to or auto move to card slot 2 when 1 is full :)   I can dream, although I would personely prefer a cheaper no electronics version just to improve the grip.

I have also begun talking to Kirk and Jim at camdaptor about the idea. Kirk are looking into the idea and asked for pics..  if they add them to their product line, hopefully they will send me a valuation copy :)  Now that would be nice, machined alloy, with extra tripod thread or they may even go the qr plate route so the grip can be easilly removed for battery access and to slip onto a tripod head. 

Anyhow we will see, I'm not holding my breath..  I painted version 2, so now when on the camera you really dont notice it, at least non-togs dont and a couple of camera toting friends loved the way it feels, I may have back orders  :beer:

Still haven't got round to getting some pics fitted, will do that soon, but heres version 2..

picsfor

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2009, 07:49:14 AM »
How do you think most great products come about?
By trial and error!

Wonder how many people would be interested in a 'grip' to improve the feel of the camera but without all the 'gubbings' inside that makes it heavier?
And how much would they pay for it? Time to do our research...

Offline hssutton

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
The grip extension looks good, but you now need to get rid of that strap and get one of these http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-optech-pro-bag-strap-black/p1009949.

The Canon straps for my 5D & 7D are still unpacked as I use the Op-Tech straps on both cameras.

Harry

Offline oRGie

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2009, 12:11:58 PM »
aha, Harry, why do you think its on the table as a prop and not on the camera ;)   I use an optech too, much more comfy and most of the time I have the neck bit in the bag and just connect the 2 short straps together :)

Andrew, I agree, I think camdaptor, kirk and rrs seem to have started out that way too :)

Offline Forseti

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2009, 02:07:46 PM »
Well it's finally been delivered - battery now on charge and pretty soon we'll be set to go.  :D :D

First impressions: very well made (as was the 40D) and in terms of size feels very comfortable in the hands and not really all that much bigger than the 40D fitting well even into my relatively small hands. At this stage I can't visualise needing one of those oRGie grips if it ever get as far as being patented  :tup:  Now just waiting for LR v2.6 to be released (hopefully not too much longer) so that I can give DPP, as good as it is, a miss. No, don't mention an RC version is already available - I hate those along with beta's.

Now to get stuck into the handbook, the only question being which one. Should it be the German version, the French version or even the Dutch, Italian or English version - talk about preserving the rain forests.  :2funny: :2funny:
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »
you mean you didn't download a manual and read it through thoroughly 'a la Orgie' whilst you waited?  :tup:

Look forward to seeing some of your 'test' shots...

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2009, 06:06:03 PM »
Forseti, Dxo has already released their program with support for the 7D - it has a free trial for 30days - which would see you through the initial lack of ACR support - and you might find you like it better than ACR.

I have tried it and quite like it in lots of ways - but I do prefer ACR. But only just!!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline oRGie

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2009, 06:45:50 PM »
Gratz Forseti  :beer:   takes a bit of trial and error to get things set up the way you like, I have c1, c2 set up with Ai servo and af-on button to focus and shutter button for meter and shoot, c1 one shot, c2 machine gun style :)

I'm using 5.6 rc from adobe labs with no issues :)  although I must admit I dont really like cs4 as much as cs3, I guess I'm not a power user so the new features of cs4 are lost on me. For some strange reason the brushes only show a quarter of the brush circle once over about 150 pixels, bit of a pain, must try and figure out whats up with that.  CS4 bridge is nicer though, so I have a couple of times done my stuff in acr and then switched back to cs3 for editing.

Offline Forseti

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2009, 08:59:54 PM »
you mean you didn't download a manual and read it through thoroughly 'a la Orgie' whilst you waited?  :tup:

Look forward to seeing some of your 'test' shots...

:2funny: :2funny: - Started to but found it somewhat above my head without having the actual camera before me.

Forseti, Dxo has already released their program with support for the 7D - it has a free trial for 30days - which would see you through the initial lack of ACR support - and you might find you like it better than ACR.

I have tried it and quite like it in lots of ways - but I do prefer ACR. But only just!!

Right then - that's the clearest recommendation for DXo that I've read so far.  ???

Gratz Forseti  :beer:   takes a bit of trial and error to get things set up the way you like, I have c1, c2 set up with Ai servo and af-on button to focus and shutter button for meter and shoot, c1 one shot, c2 machine gun style :)

I'm using 5.6 rc from adobe labs with no issues :)  although I must admit I dont really like cs4 as much as cs3, I guess I'm not a power user so the new features of cs4 are lost on me. For some strange reason the brushes only show a quarter of the brush circle once over about 150 pixels, bit of a pain, must try and figure out whats up with that.  CS4 bridge is nicer though, so I have a couple of times done my stuff in acr and then switched back to cs3 for editing.

Yes, there are so many combinations available for setting this camera up that it's really going to take some thinking about. Top of the list is setting the AF button to focus like I had on the 40D. Took a while getting used to it but now wouldn't have it any other way.  As for CS4 - hardly ever use it now as LR suffices me 99% of the time.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:04:09 PM by Forseti »
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline Forseti

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »
Here's a link you might find useful oRGie http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=795774 . You'll notice that in the first line of this link there are futher links to various sites - one being to BH video. This video is 50 mins long  :'( and is only part one of a series of 3 (other video boxes lead you to parts 1 and 2). The good news is that the second and third videos are somewhat shorter - only 30 mins or so  :2funny: . So if you've got nothing better to do one dark and cold winter night ..... :tup:

And if that's not enough to see you through to Spring take a look at this http://www.vimeo.com/7622493

OT, but imho the 7D is perhaps going to be one of Canon's most successful i.e. most sales, because it appears that no sooner are retailers getting them in stock than they are being snapped up. Here in Germany Canon are also paying for commercial time on various TV channels pushing the 7D - something I can't remember seeing for any previous models.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:21:42 AM by Forseti »

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2009, 11:22:58 AM »

Good idea for the Grip, oRGie. You could also rout out some slots in it to hold spare CF/SD cards. Perhaps adding a velcro cover, so they don't fall out.

H.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 24/0 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:57:50 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 180/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 114/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 119/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 199/4 jinky Last post September 21, 2020, 08:58:04 AM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 331/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 191/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM