Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?BIRDS-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp...

Author Topic: the problem of extreme sunlight  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
Re: the problem of extreme sunlight
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 08:01:44 AM »
No doubt some one will chip in and say being professional is knowing how to overcome those days.

Yep.  And that's why professionals get big money ;)  Saturday before last I was fighting with  incredible sun and ridiculous contrast levels - this week I was shooting at 12 noon at 3,200 ISO with flash.....either way going home without pictures is not an option.

But c'mon.....for shots of the family in the back garden at a time and place dictated by them those pics are fine.  You've done exactly the right thing by positioning them (see the first line in Neil's tute "into hard sunlight").  You could have popped up the flash but with the contrast bump it looks fine.  (Apart from, you know, the background :) - but that's dictated by the positioning).

Open shade and a bit of off camera (or on camera :o ) flash can sort out most sun.  BTW - here's last week's very sunny wedding.  http://peoplebyryan.com/weddings/louise-and-mark-a-real-wedding-at-the-knowle - and yes, I really did tell the bride to walk through that patch of shade.........
It's Guest's round

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 04:27:43 PM »
But c'mon.....for shots of the family in the back garden at a time and place dictated by them those pics are fine.  You've done exactly the right thing by positioning them (see the first line in Neil's tute "into hard sunlight").  You could have popped up the flash but with the contrast bump it looks fine.  (Apart from, you know, the background Smiley - but that's dictated by the positioning).

Thanks Jonathan - that goes down well. The background was NOT good, I know, we were restricted and I was feeling liek sh*t as I said above. The photos are OK, anyway accepted by the family  ::)

Does the combination of high ISO and flash help in such a situation?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »
Does the combination of high ISO and flash help in such a situation?

No.  You actually want low ISO and flash because you'r emore or less limited to sync speed.  The less sensitive your camera is to ambient light the more effect the flash will have.

The 3,200 + flash was indoors.  Bridal suite was one of the darkest rooms I've been in.  MUA literally couldn't see to apply foundation.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
But your D700 can more than happily run with the higher iso if it means getting the shot and a satisfied client Carol  :tup:

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »
@ Jonathan - thanks for the explanation, that had me confused for a moment  ;)

@ Andrew - I know my camera can cope with high ISOs, I was just confused with flash + high ISO + sunlight, I didn't realise that Jonathan had taken the shot indoors.

A loose translation fron German "he who can read has the advantage" - I hadn't read your post correctly Jonathan  :doh:

I think I'll have an early night   :legit:

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 53/2 Jediboy Last post Today at 07:54:55 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 152/3 Oldboy Last post Today at 05:55:03 PM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 29/0 Jediboy Last post Today at 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 309/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 182/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM
xx CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 105/1 jinky Last post September 14, 2020, 02:01:31 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 92/2 jinky Last post September 14, 2020, 01:59:32 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 jinky Last post September 13, 2020, 09:38:48 AM