• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 88
  • Total: 88
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Need some advice on the cheaper Canons

Started by Sarasocke, June 07, 2010, 08:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

The daughter of a friend of mine is looking to buy a DSLR. She has her eye on the Canon EOS 1000D - it's the cheapest of the newer Canon models.
Being a Nikon person, I don't know the first thing about it.

Anyone have any tips ?

Off hand, I would have said she should get a second hand 500D or even 550D if she can find one, but what do I know  ::)

Anyone?

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

Carol,

if this friend is in Germany, might i suggest you drop Forseti a line as she s a Canon user and fairly well versed on going prices as such...
I can comment on the cameras but not the prices  :(

Sarasocke

Hi Andrew !

The 1000D is a good bit cheaper than the 550D. Actually I was in fact after advice about the cameras.

Should she go after a secondhand 500D/550D or a new 1000D ?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

in simple terms Carol - the 550D is the one to get if the budget allows - but looking at prices, there is a significant different in prices of those 3 models.

A second hand 550D should be in extremely good nick given how new the model is - but i suspect your second hand price is still out of your friends daughters budget.

The 1000D is a more than capable camera and will provide enough for her to wet her feet in the world of Digital SLR photography.
The question is whether to get the 1000D with kit lens or get the body with a 50mm f1.8 lens - which will give much better image quality but is restricted to being a prime but great for learning with.

Sarasocke

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.