• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 40
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 11
  • Total: 11
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Do you use protection!!

Started by Lifeboat1721, February 02, 2010, 07:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicrhodes

I always use UV filters and have scratched one which led me to believe I had stopped the lense being scratched...

Lifeboat1721

Thanks for all your replies, and very interesting.. I thought it might stir up a few things ;)

For me being registered dissabled and visually handicapped as I only have 1 eye and my left has no peripheral vision the doctors have written me off  >:( >:( So I came back to photography and bought the best kit that I could afford 8) And with having damaged a lens many years ago ( It got a lot of salt spray on it as I was try to shoot Waves at Morecambe I thought protection this time ) ;)...

I can't afford f2.8 lens and because I cant drive I need things that I can carry easily so I use f3.5 apart from the 50mm f1.4.

And please guys don't start giving me offers of second hand kit or anything as I just wouldn't be able to handle it.

If you look at my flickr link you will see the type of things I like to shoot. http://www.flickr.com/photos/8749230@N08/

Ian
Support The RNLI, As you may need them one day...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8749230@N08/

Oldboy

With regards to the seaside, then it would be wise to use a filter to protect from sea spray and sand, but as a general rule it's not needed.  ;D

SimonW

Picsfor - One of my favourite three letter abreviations is TLA...
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

anglefire

Quote from: SimonW on February 03, 2010, 12:11:00 PM
Picsfor - One of my favourite three letter abreviations is TLA...

Ah, a better one is ETLA!

And back on topic, fitting a filter on my 17-40mm lens completes it weather sealing. Having said that, I spent a weekend in Barcellona a couple of years ago when it rained for most of it and just kept the camera (350D) and 17-40 lens covered/wiped dry occasionally and both still work as good as new!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Sandy

I always use a UV filter and lens hood, to safe guard my lenses

Sandy

Jonathan

Quote from: Sandy on February 05, 2010, 07:13:21 PM
I always use a UV filter and lens hood, to safe guard my lenses

I never use a UV filter to safe guard my quality :)

A decent filter costs about 10 - 20% of the cost of the lens. (As the lens gets more expensive your definition of "decent" will rise).  Insurance costs about 1 - 2% of the value of the kit.
It's Guest's round

anglefire

Not forgetting that the bigger lenses (Like say the Canon 300mm f2.8) have a built in protection in so far as the first element is replaceable if it gets damaged. I assume Nikon et al are similar!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Forseti

Quote from: Jonathan on February 07, 2010, 08:10:06 AM

I never use a UV filter to safe guard my quality.

What would REALLY REALLY be useful is if one of the proponents who claim that having a UV filter fitted (a good quality filter of course) could post at least one side by side example of the same image (under the same conditions needless to say) illustrating where the quality has been lost as a result of having the filter fitted. I've never tried this for myself, and have always been a bit sceptical of this claim based of course upon the IQ of my own images which I agree is entirely objective. I have always used B+W filters and when I think back how many times these filters have been cleaned (and the sometimes dubious methods used) I'm glad that my front elements have never been subjected to this treatment.  :)
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.