MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT ...Macro/ Close Up PollMACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES...Photoshop subscriptionMACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for...MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY...POLL-FLORA MONOCHROMEPoll for GLASSGLASS - ENTRY thread - t...CHAT-FLORA MONOCHROME-Wee...ENTRIES-FLORA MONOCHROME-...1Dx Mk3GLASS chat thread - th...POLL DECONSTRUCTEDDeconstructed - ENTRIES 2...Deconstructed - CHAT 26th...

Author Topic: off cam flash help required  (Read 5760 times)

Offline Forseti

Re: off cam flash help required
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 03:02:35 PM »
Has anybody actually used/owned, or know of anybody who has, the PocketWizard wireless triggering system and has a view on them - other than expensive of course?
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »
I don't have any of my own but used them on a course and they were great compared to the cheaper ones off ebay that worked spasmodically.
Nick

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 11:26:27 PM »
I've not used pocket wizards, but have got Elinchrom Skyports and they work very well. Not the range or some of the features - but a heck of a lot cheaper!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 07:51:33 AM »
Has anybody actually used/owned, or know of anybody who has, the PocketWizard wireless triggering system and has a view on them - other than expensive of course?

Yes.

I have 4 (one of the old school transmitter/receiver pairs, one pair of transceivers).  They are everything people say - including expensive.

Occasionally one of the transceivers will go into a mood and refuse to work.  Drop the batteries and replace and it's fine for the rest of the day.  Clearly it's faulty but I've never bothered getting it repaired.

I MAY be selling them soon though.  Doing some kit rationalisation and may move to Skyports. ;)  Let me know if you are looking to buy.
It's Guest's round

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »
I don't have any of my own but used them on a course and they were great compared to the cheaper ones off ebay that worked spasmodically.
Nick

You can now get 'reverse engineered' Chinese versions - RF-602s made by Yongnuo. 2.4ghz, well made. 16 channel and double as two stage camera remotes too. Much cheapness but so far I haven't had a single misfire from the ones I've got. Range is allegedly about 100 metres - I've tested mine from about 50 just to see if they still worked and they did. But then my Yongnuo PT-04s (there are lots of worse made versions out there, I'd owned some in the past) have never misfired either . . .

Of course with the cheap and cheerfuls there is no warranty backup at all. And they cannot take firmware updates like PWs which I understand now work with TTL too. And they don't have fraction of the features that Skyports or PWs have.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Rick Wilks

• Pink Elephant Photography
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »

Yes.

I have 4 (one of the old school transmitter/receiver pairs, one pair of transceivers).  They are everything people say - including expensive.

Occasionally one of the transceivers will go into a mood and refuse to work.  Drop the batteries and replace and it's fine for the rest of the day.  Clearly it's faulty but I've never bothered getting it repaired.

I MAY be selling them soon though.  Doing some kit rationalisation and may move to Skyports. ;)  Let me know if you are looking to buy.

I'm in the market for some pocketwizards, if nobody else wants them I'd be interested.

Offline Forseti

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the varying opinions - much appreciated.  :tup:

I MAY be selling them soon though.  Doing some kit rationalisation and may move to Skyports. ;)  Let me know if you are looking to buy.

I'll pass this time Jonathan thanks. Rick has expressed an interest though.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 96/6 Oldboy Last post Today at 12:16:45 AM
xx Macro/ Close Up Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 35/0 jinky Last post May 26, 2020, 03:44:30 PM
xx MACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES for weekly comp 17-24th May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 129/5 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:33 PM
xx Photoshop subscription General Discussion 629/23 Jediboy Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:16 PM
xx MACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for weekly comp 17-24/05/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 137/3 Jediboy Last post May 25, 2020, 06:29:24 PM
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 37/0 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 08:07:47 AM
xx POLL-FLORA MONOCHROME International Weekly Comp Entries 235/2 Beaux Reflets Last post May 23, 2020, 06:37:39 PM
xx Poll for GLASS International Weekly Comp Entries 213/5 Jediboy Last post May 23, 2020, 05:08:21 PM