MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT ...MACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES...Photoshop subscriptionMACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for...MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY...POLL-FLORA MONOCHROMEPoll for GLASSGLASS - ENTRY thread - t...CHAT-FLORA MONOCHROME-Wee...ENTRIES-FLORA MONOCHROME-...1Dx Mk3GLASS chat thread - th...POLL DECONSTRUCTEDDeconstructed - ENTRIES 2...Deconstructed - CHAT 26th...POLL for 50:50

Author Topic: HD Movie mode on cameras  (Read 2679 times)

Offline chris@seary.com

HD Movie mode on cameras
« on: December 17, 2009, 02:03:42 PM »
Is anyone using this?

I'm finding it really useful during the Xmas season. I can use my fast primes to film stuff in really low light (such as my son's school nativity), without having to shell out for a proper movie camera. I'm getting better results than most of the other parents who are using proper video cameras (are they still called video cameras when it's all digital now?).

Anyone doing anything creative with it?

Offline Forseti

Re: HD Movie mode on cameras
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »
Yes I am Chris and what a monumental learning curve it's turning out to be. At present I must have above 2 hours worth of video clips taken with the Canon SX1 (full HD) that have kind of been placed on the back burner for now in terms of editing as a result of another project being pushed my way. My best friends mother celebrates one of the big 0 birthdays next April and as well as scanning in approx 250 stills I've also 'filmed' an intro and outro for a DVD presentation that she wishes to show. The first problem that I've come across is that editing video cameras from DSLR's isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world due to the way the video is captured. I don't know all the technical ins and outs but basically it's that not every frame contains the full video information but something like every 7 to 10 frames. So the result is if one attempts to chop of a bit from the front end so to speak you end up losing video info if the part you are attempting to trim off contains the full info frame. Difficult to explain but you might understand what I mean. It's possible in Canon's Zoombrowser but the end result is an AVI file which isn't really what I want. Still, at least I was given 6 months notice of this so there's plenty of time for experimentation. The other problem with mixing video and stills is the different aspect ratios so I've had to crop both the videos and stills down to fit into what's called the 'safe area' in Sony Movie Studio Platinum so that when played back via a DVD player connected to a Projector I don't end up with letterboxing, fat people when they should be thin or indeed, people with their heads/feet chopped off. As I said, a big learning curve and that's before even seeing what my new Canon 7D is capable of.

In terms of the Canon SX1 this records at 30 frames/sec which is non changeable whereas with the Canon 7D the user has several different options when the camera is set to PAL. I'm advised that choosing 25 frames/sec, setting a shutter speed as close to double that as possible i.e. 1/50 sec and Auto ISO is the way to go - with manual focusing of course. You might like to give me your opinions on this.

But yes, all in all good fun and I find the ability to create presentations using a combination of short video clips plus still images to have opened up another door for me. Now all I need is more time.  :2funny: :2funny:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:36:11 PM by Forseti »
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline oRGie

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »
It really is a black art :)

So many options and formats makes your head spin.

I know how to use adobe premiere for the bascis and last night I managed to get a file to play in premiere, but I had to use ojosoft to convert to avi first and the quality was terrible, but I used it try and learn in premiere..

What I am trying to figure out is a good workflow to take the .MOV file to something that works in premiere but doesnt lose quality..  editing in premiere is ok, but then rendering the finished vid is another black art, so far I still end up with much larger files than the original  :doh:

It would be so much simpler if zoobrowser gave basic editing on top of just trimming. You can output to avi, but premiere wont play zoombrowsers avi's, or you can output the trimmed file in .mov again, then use another programme to convert to an avi that premiere does play.......  Long learning curve indeed.

I have been avoiding installing quicktime for windows as I hate it so much, but maybe thats all I need to do now  :legit:

picsfor

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 04:03:13 PM »
as i've said previously - definitely no!

That said, i have also admitted that i expect a point will come where i will have to turn that feature of my 5D MkII on and give it a go.
Interesting to read about those who have tried it though.

Offline Forseti

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 04:29:41 PM »

I managed to get a file to play in premiere, but I had to use ojosoft to convert to avi first and the quality was terrible, but I used it try and learn in premiere..

What I am trying to figure out is a good workflow to take the .MOV file to something that works in premiere but doesnt lose quality..  editing in premiere is ok, but then rendering the finished vid is another black art, so far I still end up with much larger files than the original  :doh:

You might want to try either of these two applications to convert oRGie:

Super - available here: http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html . Not the easiest to set up but the results are good. Here's my settings. Top box: (1) AVI (2) MPEG-4 (3) AC3.  MEEncoder. Video box settings: Video scale - no change. Aspect 16:9. Frames/sec 30 although you might want to change this depending on the frame/sec you have set on the camera. Bitrate 4032. Audio High Quality, 48K. Audio box settings: Sampling Freq. 44100, Channels 2. Bitrate 112.

The other application (both these are free by the way) is Any Video Converter - available here http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/ . This is unbelievably easy to set up - just drag the files into the necessary box, choose the output from the drop down box on the right hand side and then render.

Both these apps have given me top quality renders and, most importantly, I haven't lost video and audio sync which sometimes happens.

By the way, I also loathe Quicktime and instead use VLC Media Player available from here http://www.videolan.org/ - it's excellent.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:47:26 PM by Forseti »
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Offline Forseti

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 02:38:40 PM »
Just bumping this if I may in case Chris and oRGie may not be aware of additional posts.  :-*

@ Chris - any comments to the question I raised (reply No.1 above) ?

Offline oRGie

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 04:07:41 PM »
thanks, I saw it, havent tried to follow it yet though :)  will do very soon..   :beer:

Offline oRGie

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »
So much to learn :)

cool vid about using picture styles on 7D movies..
http://vimeo.com/7256322

Any video converter is great :)  I wasnt able to download the other one, for some reason the dl doesnt start.. anyhow any video works well..  stuck now with premiere changing the aspect ratio when I render, that bloomin programme is driving me nuts :)  Between the project settings and output settings I dont seem to be able to get a good quality file at a similar size to the original in the right aspect ratio lmao, but I have managed to do the editing I wanted  :doh:

Offline Forseti

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 07:32:29 PM »
So much to learn :)

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: welcome to the world of video  :doh:

cool vid about using picture styles on 7D movies..
http://vimeo.com/7256322

Yes I've watched it but the effects are not to my taste I'm afraid.

Any video converter is great

Thought you'd like it  :tup:

stuck now with premiere changing the aspect ratio when I render, that bloomin programme is driving me nuts :)  Between the project settings and output settings I dont seem to be able to get a good quality file at a similar size to the original in the right aspect ratio lmao, but I have managed to do the editing I wanted  :doh:

Have you given any thought as to what you're going to do with all these video cuttings? If long term you're thinking about producing DVD shows/presentations then one of the most important things to remember is that in PAL territory you're looking at settings of 720 x 576 x 25. I've just spent a good few hours this morning working on a DVD presentation in Sony Movie Studio Platinum which sends it to Sony Architect Studio for the actual burning process. Can't tell you how many DVD's I burnt (good they were rewritable) without realising that the default setting is NTSC (or something like that - the American system). This meant I was producing DVD's in dual settings  :doh: :doh: - no wonder the DVD Menu never ever appeared. All sorted now and extremely pleased with the results.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:34:01 PM by Forseti »

Offline oRGie

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 01:11:43 AM »
I found a link to a goldmine of info over on POTN

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech3/

Its an anime site, but the avtech3 guide spells out the basics of what all the acronyms mean, what they do, details about codecs, containers, formats, pixel ratios etc. It also has sections on setting up a project, how to output and how not to.. Fantastic amount of information, but it has answered many of the questions that were coming up while I was stumbling around in the dark.

:beer: :legit:

Offline Forseti

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 11:04:43 AM »
Interesting link oRGie which I've bookmarked - far too much to absorb in one sitting.  ;D I get the feeling that you're getting deeper and deeper into video - should we expect the next purchase to be a dedicated video camera?  :2funny:

picsfor

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 12:09:41 PM »
From what i'm seeing at the moment (through various web sites and forums etc) - it strikes me that there will be either an emerging market where stills and videos are used together in a single presentation for the consumer market. The wedding market seems an obvious subject but i think there is much more to the inclusion of both types of moving and still image into a single presentation that has not as yet been considered - or is currently only being produced as an extremely high end product. Awards ceremonies, like weddings has an obvious potential for such presentations - but education could provide a whole new arena as well.

Give the students of tomorrow the new technology and see what they make of it...

Offline oRGie

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 12:28:54 PM »
Although I am trying to work my through being able to use the video clips, in reality I've only put the cam in movie mode once since I got it :)  Mind you the weather has been less than inspiring, perhaps over time I will make a few bits and pieces, but I doubt it will become a big thing for me, at the moment its just something new to learn about I guess, my curiosity perhaps.  :beer:

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »
Not having video I'm not sure if this is of any use to anyone, but a plug in to Apples final cut pro has been released. Supports 5D MkII, 7D, MkIV

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/finalcutstudio/
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 40/2 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 06:44:17 PM
xx MACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES for weekly comp 17-24th May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 116/5 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:33 PM
xx Photoshop subscription General Discussion 599/23 Jediboy Last post May 25, 2020, 06:35:16 PM
xx MACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for weekly comp 17-24/05/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 133/3 Jediboy Last post May 25, 2020, 06:29:24 PM
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 35/0 jinky Last post May 25, 2020, 08:07:47 AM
xx POLL-FLORA MONOCHROME International Weekly Comp Entries 227/2 Beaux Reflets Last post May 23, 2020, 06:37:39 PM
xx Poll for GLASS International Weekly Comp Entries 204/5 Jediboy Last post May 23, 2020, 05:08:21 PM
xx GLASS - ENTRY thread - theme for comp 10-17th May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 188/3 Jediboy Last post May 18, 2020, 12:14:30 PM