Outdoors - ENTRY thread -...End of an EraPoll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitPOLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDS

Author Topic: Simply Electronics  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Simply Electronics
« on: January 15, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
A general enquiry - has anyone here bought anything from these people?

My interest was piqued when I read that they ship to la Belle gratis.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

picsfor

Re: Simply Electronics
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:06:50 PM »
Yes, thought that was them.
Keep your money in your wallet until you can find a more reliable supplier.
Sometimes it's worth paying the extra!

Offline oRGie

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:38:07 PM »
quick google turned up this thread at av forums

http://www.avforums.com/forums/camcorders-video-editing/739921-simply-electronics-16.html

hk based, bungalows etc.. definate no no ;)

Offline jimthetrain

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:29:13 PM »
I bought my 70-200 f2.8 is from them at around £300 cheaper than anywhere else at the time(2008). It came when it was supposed to, so maybe I was lucky. It was a worry when I started reading the threads in between ordering and delivery though. :D
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »
I'll just buy with a credit card. If they don't deliver I'll get the money back from the card provider. That's if I decide to buy at all.

Later: Done some more reading now. I'll stick with Bristol Cameras for the expensive stuff. They are only a few pounds more than Simply for what I want and I know they are reliable.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:45:39 AM by Tringle WP »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 02:14:29 PM »
I bought my 70-200 f2.8 is from them at around £300 cheaper than anywhere else at the time(2008). It came when it was supposed to, so maybe I was lucky. It was a worry when I started reading the threads in between ordering and delivery though. :D

Dad ordered a 17-40 L and he had no probs either...

they have a lot cheaper than most places right now, well the ones in my wish list  ;)
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 05:19:16 PM »
I've just looked, and the 100mm f2.8L IS is £90 less than Bristol Cameras - and they are ~£30 cheaper than WEX.

Very tempting - but I might wait until Focus. Should have some cash by then :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline oRGie

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »
I've just looked, and the 100mm f2.8L IS is £90 less than Bristol Cameras - and they are ~£30 cheaper than WEX.

Very tempting - but I might wait until Focus. Should have some cash by then :)

Ships from HK though Mark, so if your unlucky you could get an import duty bill too :)

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 05:32:18 PM »
That is something that I would be concerned about - funnily enough, I just looked at the 300mm f2.8 L IS - and that is about £600 less than WEX!

I would rather use Flash Camera (Ian Ker (Kerso on Ebay) as he does the importing and everything comes with manufacturers warranty. His prices are very similar to Simply.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline jimthetrain

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 06:20:46 PM »
When i ordered mine it came from their warehouse in London. It's definitely not an imported lens. Things might have changed since then though.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Offline oRGie

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
I read in that thread on av forums that there is no warehouse in london, just a bungalow somewhere, but I dont know any of this from personel experience, just what I read about them from that thread. If they do have a warehouse in London I dont see how they could have such low prices, they are HK style prices, low due to no included vat I assume, just like the others in HK.

Offline CML-1591

• Flickr
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 10:07:30 PM »
I read in that thread on av forums that there is no warehouse in london, just a bungalow somewhere, but I dont know any of this from personel experience, just what I read about them from that thread. If they do have a warehouse in London I dont see how they could have such low prices, they are HK style prices, low due to no included vat I assume, just like the others in HK.

I have noticed though there prices do go up and down now and the, plus some prices next to them mention something about a discount code...
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 56/1 jinky Last post Today at 09:27:55 AM
xx End of an Era General Discussion 82/5 jinky Last post Today at 06:40:48 AM
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 169/5 Jediboy Last post September 26, 2020, 09:30:50 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 208/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 134/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 137/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 219/4 jinky Last post September 21, 2020, 08:58:04 AM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 347/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM