• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 239
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 245
  • Total: 245
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Camera strap

Started by Sarasocke, January 07, 2010, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

I would like a different camera strap for my new camera. I need it to be strong enough to hold the camera and be comfortable while hanging round my neck. The Nikon one it came with drives my nuts after about 5 minutes and the name of the camera is just a bit too big ;)

Is there anything I should look out for or stay away from?
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Jonathan

OpTech Pro.

Probably the best camera strap you'll find.
It's Guest's round

oRGie

another vote for optech. I use mine without the neck bit quite often too, so the qr clips are handy. Very comfy to wear.  Also look at the crumpler
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588721-REG/Crumpler_ID_03A_Industry_Disgrace_Neck_Strap.html
looks comfy :)

optech pro http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-optech-pro-camera-strap-black/p1007795

greypoint

Another vote for Optech...and the other advantage is having an unused Canon/Nikon/Pentax or whatever strap for when you re-sell your camera :D

picsfor

Quote from: Sarasocke on January 07, 2010, 12:46:47 PM
and the name of the camera is just a bit too big ;)

Yes, i must admit - having all that text "Canon 5D MkII- because i'm worth it" does turn quite a few heads  :tup: ;D

greypoint

And it's not a good idea to advertise the fact you have a desirable camera.......I was referring to the Nikon here obviously :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Nemesis

I now have one of these Lowepro comfy straps.  I've fitted it with trigger clips, so its modular and fixes to whichever camera or binocs I want round my neck at the time.

Graham

Yep. Optech all the way :tup:
          They have a special springy bit in the design that makes your camera appear lighter than it is.
          I have  D300 and a D700 straps still in their original wrappers.
                     Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

I'm quite happy with my D70, D200 and D3 Nikon straps, althought the D3 one is looking a little worn.  ;D

Sarasocke

Thanks everyone !

Had a look at Op Tech Pro at Amazon - there are quite a few to choose from

The German Amazon site

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_ss?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Op%2FTech+Pro+Camera+Strap

I can't for the life of me figure out if any are NOT suitable. The coloured ones look quite jazzy ;)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Graham

I think the main thing is to make sure you get the correct fitting for your camera.

Oh. They also have "quick release" conectors for the spongy strapy bit (as I believe it's called). Don't  absent mindedly fiddle with these as your walking along! I did, and it's fortunate that I use a Nikon as I managed to catch it as it bounced back up. :2funny:
                     Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Nemesis

Split rings and trigger clips make for a universal and modular system  ;)

Colin

Another vote for the Optech great bit of kit that spreads the weight nicely.

Jonathan

Quote from: Sarasocke on January 07, 2010, 05:03:32 PM
Thanks everyone !

Had a look at Op Tech Pro at Amazon - there are quite a few to choose from

The German Amazon site

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_ss?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Op%2FTech+Pro+Camera+Strap

I can't for the life of me figure out if any are NOT suitable. The coloured ones look quite jazzy ;)

OK I don't speak much German and Google translate let me down.....

Here's what you want:
1. Pro strap.  These are marginally more exepnixe than the fashion ones but much wider.  They are more grippy than the classic.  (BTW if you carry 1 or 2 cameras all day then a more grippy strap will make you siginificantly less tired at the end of the day - you aren't constantly shrugging your shoulders.)
2. With "standard" 3/8" loop connectors - these fit most modern Nikon and Canon camera (maybe all).  The Pro connectors are for bodies with very small connection points like most MF cameras.  The split rings will rattle a bit and can scratch your camera if you don't need them.
3. Whatever colour you fancy :)

Looking at the picture I'd choose this one

A reporter strap will let you carry 2 cameras from one strap but it's not as great as they make out.
It's Guest's round

Sarasocke

Thanks guys, for being so patient with me :)

The one Jonathan picked is this one

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=23&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=

part number -1501012.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.