Photoshop subscriptionMACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES...MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT ...MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY...MACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for...POLL-FLORA MONOCHROMEPoll for GLASSGLASS - ENTRY thread - t...CHAT-FLORA MONOCHROME-Wee...ENTRIES-FLORA MONOCHROME-...1Dx Mk3GLASS chat thread - th...POLL DECONSTRUCTEDDeconstructed - ENTRIES 2...Deconstructed - CHAT 26th...POLL for 50:50

Author Topic: The Worlds Largest Digital Image - Amazing  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Forseti

The Worlds Largest Digital Image - Amazing
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:22:47 AM »
A media company in Dresden, Germany, has created a 26 gigapixel image. It is made up of 1665 images (each 21.4 megapixels) shot with an EOS 5D Mark II and 400mm lens. A photo-robot moved the camera between each exposure. Converting the 102GB of RAW data on a computer took 92 hours.

Think my PC needs a few upgrades before attempting something on this scale.  :2funny:

If you click on the image and hold one is able to drag around the image. You can also use the scroll wheel to zoom in. Amazing stuff and shot with a Canon.  :legit:

http://www.dresden-26-gigapixels.com/dresden26GP

Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

Re: The Worlds Largest Digital Image - Amazing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:22:04 AM »
it seems like it limits the zoom facility to what your computer can handle!
Very impressive all the same.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:17:30 AM »

I think the download speed of your ISP is more important than what your computer can handle.  :tup:

Just zoomed in on the cars and could read the number plates.  :o

Thanks for posting Forseti.  ;D

picsfor

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:39:46 AM »

I think the download speed of your ISP is more important than what your computer can handle.  :tup:

Just zoomed in on the cars and could read the number plates.  :o

Thanks for posting Forseti.  ;D

But at least i bought the correct camera  :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:14:19 PM »
Funnily enough, this was posted on PR - and one of the first replies was to say that a bigger one has already been produced some time ago.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

picsfor

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 12:30:08 PM »
but did they give the link?

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »
I#ve no idea - I don't kno why I keep going back TBH - Flake is still there telling everyone how its done and what is the best as usual.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline oRGie

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »
I#ve no idea - I don't kno why I keep going back TBH - Flake is still there telling everyone how its done and what is the best as usual.

lol Mark, delete the bookmark, I did ages ago, felt liberated  :beer:

I remember seeing that other gigapixel image, shame I dont remember the link, I did a quick google and it seems there are quite a few out there, hours of fun.

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 06:15:59 PM »
Loads more of this type of thing at http://www.gigapan.org/

BTW the hardware to get you up and running and shooting these is less than $300 http://www.gigapansystems.com/epic-product-page.html
It's Guest's round

picsfor

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 06:25:16 PM »
Loads more of this type of thing at http://www.gigapan.org/

BTW the hardware to get you up and running and shooting these is less than $300 http://www.gigapansystems.com/epic-product-page.html

but it doesn't support a 5D MkII let alone a big lens!

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 06:30:43 PM »

Well it hasn't been tested with one yet ;)

I really wish I had a project that needed one of these - you can rent them for £25 a day and have a lot of fun.
It's Guest's round

Offline hevans

• Sigh....why me again??
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:31:17 PM »

Nor any of the larger Nikons. I think it is a physical dimension incompatibility, i.e. they're too big to fit in the cradle, and not an interface issue.

H.

picsfor

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »
so where did they get the arm for the gigapic taken at the start of the thread?

Offline Forseti

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 09:04:31 AM »
Have a look here Andrew http://www.dr-clauss.de/english.htm

By the way, I found this link by clicking on the tab 'Story' that is in the top left hand corner of the link page given in my opening post. There's also a 'Video' tab leading to a short YouTube video.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 09:39:42 AM »
thanks for that link Forseti - interesting viewing. Not sure it's gonna come in at $300 but i'll drop them a line because without a doubt, a good panorama is worth its money (so to speak)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Photoshop subscription General Discussion 561/22 StephenBatey Last post Today at 04:49:47 PM
xx MACRO / CLOSE UP ENTRIES for weekly comp 17-24th May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 95/3 Beaux Reflets Last post Today at 10:01:54 AM
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... CHAT THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 24/1 anglefire Last post Today at 08:25:31 AM
xx MY FAVOURITE ..... ENTRY THREAD 25th- 31st May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 32/0 jinky Last post Today at 08:07:47 AM
xx MACRO/CLOSE UP CHAT - for weekly comp 17-24/05/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 99/2 Hinfrance Last post May 24, 2020, 02:06:38 PM
xx POLL-FLORA MONOCHROME International Weekly Comp Entries 224/2 Beaux Reflets Last post May 23, 2020, 06:37:39 PM
xx Poll for GLASS International Weekly Comp Entries 200/5 Jediboy Last post May 23, 2020, 05:08:21 PM
xx GLASS - ENTRY thread - theme for comp 10-17th May 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/3 Jediboy Last post May 18, 2020, 12:14:30 PM