STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for STREETSTREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: How long does it take to process photos  (Read 2830 times)

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Re: How long does it take to process photos
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
Sue makes a very valid point about Jpg/Raw too - the Jpeg output must be good - but I often wonder how many reviewers take the time to adjust the Jpeg settings to suit what they are taking - ie change the picture style (as in canon's) from standard to Landscape etc.

As for deleting the RAW's - I do delete a lot more than I used to - 10FPS forces that to a degree - but I won't every delete a RAW that I have processed into a Jpg -you never know when you might need it again. I have a case in point. I was asked to produce the front cover of some regulations for an event that our motorclub is organising next year - and yes I could have used the Jpg - but as the shots I have from last years event are landscape and not portrait - then I've had to add some picture top and bottom with content aware scaling - the Jpg would have lost something I'm sure!

Finally, on my holiday this year I only took a couple of thousand shots over the 2 weeks - some of which were bracketed with a view to possible HDR. 
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »
Most of my shoots fall into the same category as Sue's - dogs.
I shoot in raw as I think I can "tickle" the most out of a photograph if the conditions are not ideal. Friday was overcast with a few sunny spells, but for Saturday rain was forecast, so I decided on the spur of the moment to have a go with the Dobermanns on Friday. (The donation had already been made and we'd kept postponing the shoot) Most of the photos where the dogs were playing had to be binned, even with the largest aperture the time was just too long. I think the owner will be satisfied, I took some lovely pics inside with my trusty 50mm.

My query was really, how do you do it, without getting an enormous backlog ? I don't go to work, and I still have problems  :D
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline greypoint

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »
I know what you mean about a backlog. Even shooting JPEG they need cropping and tweaking. I normally make a copy folder as soon as I've downloaded and put the priginals on an external hard drive. Then I sit and go through the working on folder of the copies and pick out the ones that I like best to do first and just gradually go through them. After a couple of evenings I've usually got a good selection. I'll probably leave the rest for a few days and then go back to them - I think you often find if you do that you'll discover a few more that are better than you first thought - there's also the stage where you know that some of them are just not worth bothering with. A lot of it depends on the light/weather of course - sometimes it can be just right and the results are OK direct from camera in a lot of cases - it's the rubbish weather that causes a backlog I find!

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 11:24:49 AM »
Not being a professional I fortunately have no time restraints or customer requirements placed upon me, my photography is purely a relaxant.

I usually take around 30-40 images on the days I go out. I load them into Adobe Bridge and then select those that I think will make a decent image, deleting the rest, leaving perhaps a dozen images. These I load into L/room and catalogue by date and location and then add appropriate key words.

The processing is done in L/room and CS3, and from those dozen or so I may end up with some 36 differing images dependent on how I work on them, adjusting the crop, eliminating unwanted and distracting areas, toning etc.

I appreciate L/room is primarily a professional tool, however one of the puzzling things about L/room is the 'starring' facility. I am of the opinion if it's not five star get rid of it, who wants loads of 1-4 star images cluttering up your Hd's?

Not all the images are worked on at one sitting, I often return to perhaps have another go at one I've been working on or try to improve on those that are left.

All the final results are backed up to two seperate external HD's.

picsfor

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »
That i think sums it up Sue. After a while we know when a picture is a keeper - whether for use now, a bit of processing later - or a project further down the line.
As we develop 'our style' we start to know almost immediately when something is going to work.

I'm lucky enough to have had some time off work and am now going through my pictures (digital only at this stage) and have managed to reduce my digital catalogue form 30k down to 9k.
I'm sure when i'm done that'll be down to less than 5k. Lightroom has been my biggest help with this process - that and signing up for a course with OCA that is all about photographic work flows.

By trying to clear the back log and work out what is wheat and what is chaff i hope that i'm also improving my photography. It shows me what i'm no willing to accept as good.
Of course - my good is not necessarily some one else's good - but at this stage - i'm still doing it to please me.

In relation to what constitutes a '5 star' image and therefore worth keeping.
Sadly not all of my pictures of family or travels would qualify as '5 star' - but they are irreplacable - hence even at only 3 or 4 star quality - they are keepers!

Offline Nemesis

• CC Regular visitor
    • A Few Snapshots
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 11:39:48 AM »
As a JPEG shooter I resisted this thread yesterday.  On a day out or at an event I might take 500-600 images; I delete the obvious duds during the day, but I still prefer to review on a 19" monitor when I get home.  The bulk of my editing/tweaking (levels, color, cropping, resizing) is done in Office Picture Manager; the rest is done with Paint.Net.  I know I've said it before elsewhere, but to me workflow is translating the captured image in camera and then to either web or print so it matches what I saw with my eye - or perhaps that should be my recollection of what I saw at the time.

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 11:58:20 AM »
Like everyone else says.....it depends.

It depends on what I'm shooting, how I'm shooting it and why.

If I'm shooting jpeg, then the image will be pretty much "right" when I hit the button.  I'll set my camera up beforehand (white balance, tone curve, sharpening etc) and be pretty confident of nailing the exposure.  I might crop or clean the image but generally the reason I'm shooting jpeg is I want an efficient workflow.  I might spend 5 - 30 seconds per image.  I'll use jpeg for sports or anywhere that I have control of the light such as a studio setup.

Shooting raw takes longer.  (And that's why I avoid it when I can.)  Most of the controls on the camera kind of get ignored when you import them to Lightroom.  NX2 would preserve most of the settings but I just don't like the s/w.  So every image needs tweaking.  For wedding images I'll shoot raw, cull, import, tweak and then edit any hero or problem shots, export to jpeg and then use these jpegs as my "masters" and work from there.  This typically takes a day.  That's for a delivery of around 400 images culled from a larger number.  If I need to I can always retrieve the raw file - such as when mags say "yeah, we love that b&w - can we have it in colour....?"

As for shooting at 10 fps (or whatever - can't remember what the D3 is capable of) - I try not to.  I'll often have it set to 5 fps and shoot either single shot or a controlled burst.  I'm trying to train myself to shoot more in single shot though - I always shoot motorsport in single and it give me more sharp images.
It's Guest's round

Offline Bigbill

• Gigstills
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »
Hewwo from Wintry Sheffy.

All interesting stuff,,main thing is your CONFIDENT with what you use,if only it was as quick to process as it is to shoot !
Just lately ive been experimenting with colour spaces,ie delving into LAB,,would save an awful lot of time to shoot in Jpeg all the time,i only ever do this when the subject is quick,,,Athletics or soccer etc etc
So as to allow burst shooting.
Like some others,i actualy enjoy the processing bit,its very deep and stimulating at times.
Hopefuly,the shot i posted and got a few others to process shows how individuals go about the same process result,but via different routes !

Shine On

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 151/4 anglefire Last post August 12, 2020, 10:38:09 PM
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 63/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 184/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 233/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 72/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 26/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 286/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 271/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM