• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,515
  • Total Topics: 5,735
  • Online today: 97
  • Online ever: 6,071 (March 12, 2026, 03:28:52 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 79
  • Total: 79
  • Google (2)
bhphotovideo
What made you feel good t...Weekly CompetitionsCanon kit to borrow (free...Dreaminess Happy Christmas 2025!NiceVeedi 2-Pack Photogra...DJI Osmo Action 6 Essenti...RØDE Wireless ME Ultra-co...NEEWER Snap On ND Filter ...BRDRC Pocket 3 Camera Bik...Lenovo LOQ | 15.6 inch Fu...DJI Mic 3 (2 TX + 1 RX + ...DJI Mic Mini (2 TX + 1 RX...DJI OSMO Action 5 Pro 4 3...DJI Osmo Action 5 Pro Adv...Post your best shots here

Manual or AutoFocus?

Started by Skhilled, June 24, 2011, 07:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

I know to use manual focus if the camera just doesn't get it right using autofocus. But the question is, is there any other times when manual focus is better than autofocus?
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

jimthetrain

I find using manual focus shooting with my macro lens a bit more productive. Zoom in with the liveview feature and adjust manually from there. On a tripod with remote release of course.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

picsfor

Bucket loads - as said, when using live view and with macro.

Any shot using a tripod. Close ups all round. When focus won't give you the lock you want.

To be honest, auto focus is only really good for moving subjects - the rest of the times is just being lazy!  :beer:

Oldboy

Quote from: picsfor on June 24, 2011, 08:22:38 PM
Bucket loads - as said, when using live view and with macro.

Any shot using a tripod. Close ups all round. When focus won't give you the lock you want.

To be honest, auto focus is only really good for moving subjects - the rest of the times is just being lazy!  :beer:

I'm lazy then, as I mostly use auto-focus even on macro shots, but they are mostly hand-held.  :-[

picsfor

Maybe i still like to rely on the tried and trusted methods.

When technology fails, it is us that we have to fall back on...

Skhilled

Thanks for the comments. :)

I've been using it for macro shots because I find I can focus more on exactly what I want easier. I've actually been using the macros hand-held. But they have been turning out surprisingly good! I would have thought there would have been more blur or lack of sharpness...not that they are perfect mind you. LOL

My camera doesn't have live view. I'll have to give manual focusing a shot the next time I use my tripod. I started to go out tonight and try some light trails but just wasn't up for it...maybe tomorrow.
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

Markulous

I've tended to use AF more with the 7D and use MF when I'm too lazy to shift the focus point and aim/focus/recompose isn't the solution - but most of my macros are MF
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

greypoint

One point to remember if you're happy to use manual focus, is the huge number of old manual focus lenses out there that can sometimes be picked up very cheaply.

Skhilled

Very cheaply works for me! LOL
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

Jonathan

Autofocus. First, last, always.

If that doesn't work then manual with focus assist.

If that doesn't work it's probably going to be out of focus anyway.
It's Guest's round

Graham

 As long as I select the correct focus point, then auto tends to be quicker and more accurate than me.
                     Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

rksmith51

At my age auto focus an absolute god send, in saying that I was shooting my grandaughter on a bouncy castle last week and it had mesh type "windows" there was no way auto focus could lock on to a moving child through that, its the only time I've had to rely on my eyes to get close to focus for ages. I reduced the aperture to f8 for better DOF and cranked up the iso it worked OK I suppose.
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

Skhilled

Yes, autofucos is quicker than me too! LOL
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

This website is proudly hosted on Crocweb Cloud Website Hosting.


Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.