• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,515
  • Total Topics: 5,735
  • Online today: 109
  • Online ever: 6,071 (March 12, 2026, 03:28:52 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 98
  • Total: 98
  • Google
millets
What made you feel good t...Weekly CompetitionsCanon kit to borrow (free...Dreaminess Happy Christmas 2025!NiceVeedi 2-Pack Photogra...DJI Osmo Action 6 Essenti...RØDE Wireless ME Ultra-co...NEEWER Snap On ND Filter ...BRDRC Pocket 3 Camera Bik...Lenovo LOQ | 15.6 inch Fu...DJI Mic 3 (2 TX + 1 RX + ...DJI Mic Mini (2 TX + 1 RX...DJI OSMO Action 5 Pro 4 3...DJI Osmo Action 5 Pro Adv...Post your best shots here

Lens pen or Lens cleaning fluid

Started by irv_b, April 12, 2010, 09:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irv_b

I have been using Lens cleaning fluid from jessops  and have noticed its beginning to leave a smeary film on the front element so I was wondering what most of you guys use - is a lens pen that much better or am I cleaning my lenses wrongly (small circular motion from the centre outwards)
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Oldboy

I use the Jessops cleaning fluid and haven't noticed a problem.  ;D

Hinfrance

I have UV filters on the front of all but one of my lenses. After the debate on here about IQ I took a series of test shots and looked at them at 200% to see if I could spot any degradation. I don't have DXO tools, but using my admittedly aging eyes there was no noticeable difference, so I left them on.

That means that I can, and do, use ordinary household window cleaner and a microfibre cloth to clean the UV filters. Works a treat for me.

Next experiment (after the kitchen is finished) is to coat a couple with some car windscreen protector to see if dirt and dust stops sticking and then check the IQ again.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jonathan

Um, I generally use my T shirt.....
It's Guest's round

picsfor

I have a cleaning cloth or have done as Jonathan says - used my T Shirt on occasions...

bones615

Filters on everything, use my shirt mostly but once in a while take the filters off & polish up all surfaces with jessops fluid.

Simon

nickt

I use a lens pen, cloth and my breath :)

spinner

Lens pen at home. T-shirt in the field.  ;D
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Alfonso_Frisk

I use a spray from impega to clean my lenses and filters (meant for use as a screen protector for pcs etc) and have found the best cloth Ive used is the one supplied with my Sigma 10-20 lens.  Its the only cloth ive used that does not leave streaks and smears.
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

anglefire

Rear element I generally use a cleaning cloth - the front element - I'm with Jonathan - shirt or jumper if it gets really bad. Though if its dusty I will try and blow off the worst of it first!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3
Canon 1Dx

Jonathan

Interesting to see how many people are routinely using fluids to clean their lenses.  I always use those as a last resort - I suspect there's more "harm" done by leaving fluid residue on the lens (which then sticks dust etc) than most other sensible ways of cleaning.

T shirt or microfibre cloth (amazing for taking fingerprints off when you checked to make sure the lens cap wasn't on...) work for me.  If it's really serious then I'll dust it first, wipe carefully with a lens tissue and then if necessary use a couple of drops of Isopropynol alcohol.  But it's very rare they need that much cleaning.
It's Guest's round

spinner

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on April 14, 2010, 12:02:40 AM
I use a spray from impega to clean my lenses and filters (meant for use as a screen protector for pcs etc) and have found the best cloth Ive used is the one supplied with my Sigma 10-20 lens.  Its the only cloth ive used that does not leave streaks and smears.
RR
Alf

There was a lens cleaning clothe came with that lens? Damn I hope I didn't throw that box out.  :-[
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: spinner on April 16, 2010, 07:22:05 AM
Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on April 14, 2010, 12:02:40 AM
I use a spray from impega to clean my lenses and filters (meant for use as a screen protector for pcs etc) and have found the best cloth Ive used is the one supplied with my Sigma 10-20 lens.  Its the only cloth ive used that does not leave streaks and smears.
RR

Alf

There was a lens cleaning clothe came with that lens? Damn I hope I didn't throw that box out.  :-[

There was with mine. Red with sigma writtrn across it.
Strangely though my mate got his lens a few months after mine  and his never had one included. Mind you he is a canon user :2funny:
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

This website is proudly hosted on Crocweb Cloud Website Hosting.


Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.