Camera Craniums

General Category => General Photography => Topic started by: bones615 on July 02, 2009, 07:43:29 PM

Title: Camera Insurance
Post by: bones615 on July 02, 2009, 07:43:29 PM
My household contents insurance is due for renewal & my kit is growing to a point that I think it would be wise to insure it separately, they want £25 extra for cover away from home up to a value of £2000. I know there are companies that will insure just your kit, are they any good? What are your views/recommendations?

Title: Re: Camera Insurance
Post by: Oldboy on July 02, 2009, 09:19:19 PM
A lot of stand alone insurance requires an excess and are quite expensive for what they offer. You are better adding it to your household insurance and they can cover you for outside risk.  ;D
Title: Re: Camera Insurance
Post by: anglefire on July 06, 2009, 07:57:25 AM
I enquired when my household insurance was due - and they would cover the gear in the house, but because of some of my individual item values, wouldn't cover me outside. Also the increase premium was fairly high compared to Aaduki, who I now use. Aaduki is dearer than house hold - but not much more and covers me for outside and I also bolted on PI cover. I've now added hire cover since I hired the 300mm the other week - and that was a fair amount, but at least I can hire anything upto £3500 for nothing extra!

I used to have E&L - and after the scare stories I decided to go elsewhere - and the fact that any change results in a £30 fee p**sed me off!