• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 113
  • Total: 113
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What did you do with your camera today?

Started by Jediboy, April 17, 2017, 04:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

I was too late to book one of these cruises. Hope you had a good time.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

David Blandford

Quote from: Reinardina on August 07, 2017, 04:12:14 PM
I was too late to book one of these cruises. Hope you had a good time.
We were lucky and got a last minute cancellation for the Friday night!
still trying to paint with light!!

Jediboy

Today I tried to get a mushroom photo for the comp. last minute as usual. Some great entries so far and not sure I'm going to compete.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Jediboy

Took some photos for the ROOTS competition. Hopefully there is something I can use.
Last minute as usual. Where does the time go??

Chris

Oldboy

Quote from: Jediboy on August 27, 2017, 08:13:58 PM
Took some photos for the ROOTS competition. Hopefully there is something I can use.
Last minute as usual. Where does the time go??

Reading your other post - on the playstation!  :-\ :knuppel2:

Jediboy

Chris

StephenBatey

Swapped a waist level finder from an Exakta Varex IIA without a film to an Exakta Varex IIA with pentaprism and with a film in, and confirmed that focusing is easier. The pentaprism does not seem to be set up with the image at infinity, and I'd need reading glasses to see it sharply. I also used said camera (with film in) to photograph an apple tree, a shadow on the floor and hale bales being gathered in (by tractor and lifting device) in a nearby field.

I'm rather partial to Exaktas...
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Hinfrance

Yesterday - to paraphrase a Fast Show character - I am mostly crashing my cheapo drone into an oak tree and totally disastering it*. Luckily my GoPoor camera survived both the impact with the tree and the subsequent 15 metre plummet onto the drive.

* copious quantities of glue and spare parts are being applied imminently.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jediboy

What drone are you using H?

I have been looking at buying a drone (nothing too fancy) to attach my Gopro to. Interested to hear how you are getting on.
Thanks.

Chris

Hinfrance

Good morning Chris.

There is a lot of choice in the budget carry a GoPro range of drones. The one I have is a HuanQi H899C (around £120, but I possibly paid a little more than need be) which came with its own '1080p' dedicated camera that can be controlled from the transmitter - it does not use a smartphone app as previous versions did - it is a wifi controlled machine and they found that using a smartphone was not the best way to do this. There is no image transmitted from the camera. The drone is a clone of models from Syma, but with GPS, and uses the same batteries and chargers.

I determined very early on, however, that the provided camera is utter rubbish - given that there is only a damped camera mount (which can be remotely tilted through 90 degrees) and that the camera has no IS, the result is video that is seriously 'jelloed'  and what's more very poor quality all round. So I tried using my old action camera which has IS, but it is unfortunately too heavy at 90 grams - so I bought a cheapo from Amazon, a Victure, which is very good and almost has no jello at all. As you already have a GoPro you won't be tempted to get one with it's own camera -which is a good thing!

The drone itself is as tough as old boots and spare parts are cheap too. I did find that the rotor protectors seriously impacted on the flight characteristics. It is a lot more challenging to control than my friend's £1300 Mavik Pro  ::) but hey . .  Flight time is a bit less than 10 minutes, but batteries are so cheap that I bought another couple and a charger from Amazon for less than £25. Range is quoted as 300 metrets and it has GPS with out of range and low battery auto return - but the advice I have been given is to change batteries well ahead of these kicking in as the battery life and maximum capacity is seriously reduced by discharging them below 20-30%.

Got to go out now, more info later.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jediboy

Thanks H, appreciate your reply.
I have been looking at the Bugs 3 drone which will take a Go Pro. They come in at about £100 so not too expensive if I find that I don't get on with it. The original plan had been to use this in making a video for work. I was planning on using my DSLR for most of it but thought that some aerial footage would work well.
Unfortunately I am not making the video now (long story) but still quite fancy doing some aerial video of other things so still interested and researching a good but cost effective drone.
Interesting what you say about ease of control, but I guess you get what you pay for but I'm happy to learn.

Thanks again, and enjoy your flying .

Chris

Hinfrance

Yep, the bugs 3 is recommended in many places - was one of the ones I was looking at. Excellent motors, but has a fixed and undamped camera mount. Realistically if you want to take good quality aerial video you need to spend upwards of £300 and realistically upwards of £500 on a drone and a gimballed camera housing (unique Q500 for example). The Hubsan H501 which has a built in camera is a reasonable compromise at around £200-£260 depending on the model seems a good compromise.

Whatever you go for, come back and let us know how it works out.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Hinfrance

Just did a test flight of my repaired drone - it doesn't look too pretty, but works as well as it ever did. Unfortunately due to operator error I managed to turn the camera off rather than on and so have nothing to show for it. Will have another go this afternoon when I've finished the housework.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on August 31, 2017, 10:42:30 AM
Just did a test flight of my repaired drone - it doesn't look too pretty, but works as well as it ever did. Unfortunately due to operator error I managed to turn the camera off rather than on and so have nothing to show for it. Will have another go this afternoon when I've finished the housework.

Hope it went well.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.