• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 51
  • Total: 51
  • Google (AdSense) (3)
photobox
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

Photo of the day or edit of the day

Started by oRGie, March 24, 2009, 10:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: ABERS on September 14, 2013, 07:25:41 AM
Quote from: Beaux Reflets on September 13, 2013, 10:00:39 AM
One from yesterday, adjusted to overcome the lens distortion, with a little dodge and burn for atmospheric effect.

Break In

Just goes to show that pictures are everywhere, a simple view through a sunlit window. I find that the square highlight in the bottom second from the left pane of glass a bit distracting and although there are some articles in front of the window within the room the lit candle could be extinguished with just the light playing on its container.

Just a thought. :tup:

Thank you Alan. Having revisited the edit I found myself burning said bright square a little  :tup: :beer:. Extinguishing the sunlight refraction on the (cake box?) container lid and I lose the Break In punch .

Thanks again
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

ABERS

Went to the local PYO to gather nice juicy Victoria plums, the lady of the house will be jam making all day today. :tup:

Whilst we were there I took the opportunity to get amongst some long polythene tunnels with the fisheye , great fun. Then this huge butterfly descended! :o  :legit:

Tunnels of Light by abers, on Flickr

SimonW

Amazing what a fisheye can do! (I live surrounded by polytunnels and have spent countless time trying to make an interesting photo of them without ever getting one I was pleased with.)
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Beaux Reflets

Very apt title and brilliant processing Alan, I like it  :tup: but then I am a sucker for shots that highlight qualities of light.

Hinfrance

Corking Alan.

I sort of want a fisheye lens, but I want a Steinberg UR22 and a new bass guitar amplifier rather more at the moment!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Reinardina

Mono or colour?

I can never make up my mind, whether I prefer street scenes/candids in mono or colour. I do both; I like both, but I think the monochromes have a more timeless quality.

Your opinions?

ABERS

Quote from: Reinardina on September 25, 2013, 08:59:33 PM
Mono or colour?
Your opinions?

Like all the discussions of Black vs Colour it depends on the subject and to some extent on the composition. I can't see me going to the Notting Hill Carnival and coming back with a bunch of B+W's unless I'm concentrating on a close crop on faces perhaps. ( To be truthful I've resisted going to the event over many years so it's a moot point really).

Can I ask, do you put your recently posted picture in the 'Street Scene' or 'Candid' category?

Beaux Reflets

Mono or colour?

I can never make up my mind, whether I prefer street scenes/candids in mono or colour. I do both; I like both, but I think the monochromes have a more timeless quality.

Your opinions?

Mono cuts to the chase on some emotive aspects, where colour may be seen as a distraction. For the main part I love colour as it gives you more idea of the subjects' or individuals character, especially when colours clash  ;D

Guess I like both   :legit:

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on September 25, 2013, 10:17:05 PM
Mono or colour?
Your opinions?

Like all the discussions of Black vs Colour it depends on the subject and to some extent on the composition. I can't see me going to the Notting Hill Carnival and coming back with a bunch of B+W's unless I'm concentrating on a close crop on faces perhaps. ( To be truthful I've resisted going to the event over many years so it's a moot point really).

Can I ask, do you put your recently posted picture in the 'Street Scene' or 'Candid' category?

"street scene or candid," I don't really know Alan. I suppose candid in this case. A lot of my street photographs are candids, and I haven't worked out how to categorise them yet. Can they be both?
Any advice?

ABERS

I think everyone will have differing opinions.

Firstly 'Candid'.

For me this usually portrays a single person, close up, usually with an expressive face, reacting to the situation or environment in which they find themselves, e.g. A face in a crowd, not conscious of the photographer.

'Street'.

It's all too easy to wander around the streets, highways and byways surreptitiously clicking away and thinking that that's what street photography is all about.

It's difficult to lay any hard and fast rules here. A street is a street is a street. Where does it differentiate from Urban Landscape? For me usually by the inclusion of people, but they have to show that there is something going on, some activity of sorts, not just figures littering the picture. People that are going somewhere purposefully, people looking, reacting, people entering/leaving the frame, some people illuminated by shafts of light, others just visible in the shadows.

Those are my opinions, what are everyone elses?

P.S. Reinardina. No offence I hope, but for me your picture of the two girls is just what it is, a picture of two girls sat outside somewhere, it says neither 'Candid' nor 'Street'.  :-[

Beaux Reflets

To me, Candid is generally the one person in a reactive or active situation where the facial and or bodily expression has an element of difference to the general expectations the scene portrays.

The girls squeak in perhaps with their delightful faces  :-\ but there is nothing to show any difference in expectation , so I think the shot is more Street.

Street photography in my opinion, expresses aspects of Social interaction and or portrays, the Culture in Society (including fashions) within or of the Times; Where as, Urban Landscape is more about the general physical shapes and forms (architectural planning and Urban design) recording the patterns of light, textures etc., within the scene. And some shots may suit or fall within both these categories  ;D

Reinardina

No offence taken Alan. I'm new to the business and just bumble happily along, learning a bit here, picking up a tip there.
For me candid means 'un-posed,.' I realise now that is probably not the exact meaning for most photographers.
But whatever it's called I'm happy with my shot of the two girls.

And 'street,' you've got me there again. I don't really know the 'official' meaning of the word.
I love the old 'Picture Post' style photographs, because they take me back in time. Yes, most of them picture something out of the ordinary, but others appear to be just photographs of people in streets. Great to 'study' fashion, habits (women, even girls, walking arm in arm), shop fronts, (lack of) cars etc. I'm with Andy here.

I like to 'conserve' a slice of modern life. Again, whatever it is called.

Sorry, have to dash to the kitchen now. (Slice of old fashioned life!)

ABERS

Hammering down with rain all day so the garden was a no-go area. Decided to give the scanner a run out and mess about with the image in PS. Quite a happy two or three hours messing and doodling about.

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on October 14, 2013, 06:52:44 PM
Hammering down with rain all day so the garden was a no-go area. Decided to give the scanner a run out and mess about with the image in PS. Quite a happy two or three hours messing and doodling about.

That's very 3D Alan; could be a brooch.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.